Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 PM

37 posts, read 32,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
There are blondes in France, and the language is a lot closer to Romanian. If you don't like Germanic cultures, you're not going to like Sweden.
I've visited Paris 5 times and I absolutely hated it there. I realize outside of Paris things must be different but the people were a major turnoff. I really enjoyed the people I met in Germany when I visited, however as a tourist they might have been more "open" to me than if I were a local stranger. I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostUser551 View Post
I'm Romanian but born in the USA. I'm just asking for advice.

None of what is posted, included Carbon Based Lifeforms (I really like them too, good post) is EDM, it's IDM but yea I don't plan on living on it, just want to live somewhere where other people have similar musical interests to a degree. In America I've met like maybe 2 people that actually like this kind of stuff, everybody else pretty much exclusively likes Pop or Dubstep/Trap/EDM. And being able to get some extra money with maybe getting a few DJ gigs or collabs going would be great.
As I said, the electronic music scene is strong in this region, so you'll most likely find like-minded individuals. Swedish is actually quite easy to learn when you speak English.
But, you have to have some kind of fluency when applying for a job, and that might not be that easy. Scandinavia has very good rights for employees, so they are often quite cautious in hiring (as it's difficult to get rid of poor employees). And without a job you won't get an apartment. So I strongly suggest you'll try to find some employment before you leave, or become self-employed.

If you are able to get a job, why not. Sweden is great, clean and even if the people are maybe more introverted you're used to at first sight, when you break the ice they change completely.
And remember to take a booze-cruise here to Finland as well. You'll find some more like-minded people and good gigs.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-18-2014 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 AM

Oh ok I see. I don't use city data very often, but I see what you mean.

I am very happy to hear they like electronic music over there, or at least accept it. And yea I will scope out what jobs I can get tomorrow and see what classes are being offered for Swedish in my area. Hopefully I can manage to achieve an adequate level of fluency, the fact that it is in fact similar to English definitely helps (and I know some German so I think that might help as well?).

As for living, do you think it is worth it for me to find somebody else moving over there to share an apartment with and cut costs? I've never done that before but it seems practical.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostUser551 View Post
I am very happy to hear they like electronic music over there, or at least accept it. And yea I will scope out what jobs I can get tomorrow and see what classes are being offered for Swedish in my area. Hopefully I can manage to achieve an adequate level of fluency, the fact that it is in fact similar to English definitely helps (and I know some German so I think that might help as well?).

As for living, do you think it is worth it for me to find somebody else moving over there to share an apartment with and cut costs? I've never done that before but it seems practical.
And as a plus the music scene has still some dignity left and has some traces of the UG feel as well.

German certainly helps yes. And people will help you out in the beginning, nobody expects you to speak Swedish fluently immediately. The basics and some ability in communicating is a good start. And as everyone under 70 speaks English, you'll always have a plan B.

Sharing apartments is quite common, especially in Stockholm where the rents are quite high. It's quite possible to find a "roommate needed" ad.

Sure, good luck!

Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 AM

Alright thank you

Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 PM

84 posts, read 87,508 times
Sweden is one of the best countries. Good choice! Although I haven't been there, I know: Sweden is the country of Abba, E-Type and many others fine singers!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM

271 posts, read 369,320 times
move to Norway instead. The women look the same, lower crime, lower unemployment and better salaries. None of the Americans I know living in Sweden “like it”. If I was you I would look at United Kingdom, Australia or Canada – at least you don’t have to learn a new language. It is also a myth that Swedes are blond and blue eyed.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-18-2014 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
The Sture Bergwall case was an epic failure in Swedish mental health and legal system. Astonishing.

Sture Bergwall (born Sture Ragnar Bergwall; 26 April 1950 in Korsnäs, Falun, Sweden), also known as Thomas Quick, is a Swedish man previously believed to be a serial killer, having confessed to more than 30 murders when incarcerated in a mental institution for personality disorders as a result of committing less serious crimes. Quick was convicted of eight of the more than thirty murders he confessed to, but all of these convictions have now been overturned.

The handling of the Quick cases has been described as the "most scandalous" chapter of Scandinavian crime history, branding it as glaring incompetence, naiveté, and opportunism within the police and judicial system.

Sture Bergwall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Are you stupid or something? Get your **** together and move to Norway instead. The women look the same, lower crime, lower unemployment and better salaries. None of the Americans I know living in Sweden “like it”. If I was you I would look at United Kingdom, Australia or Canada – at least you don’t have to learn a new language. It is also a myth that Swedes are blond and blue eyed.
Lower crime? Not sure. Better salaries and lower unemployment? Yes. Still, I think Sweden (especially Sthlm) is a better choice. It is an EU member, is bigger and more cosmopolitan.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
move to Norway instead. The women look the same, lower crime, lower unemployment and better salaries. None of the Americans I know living in Sweden “like it”. If I was you I would look at United Kingdom, Australia or Canada – at least you don’t have to learn a new language. It is also a myth that Swedes are blond and blue eyed.
And about Bergwall, that sounds like America where being a murderer and getting a life sentence means you get out in 4 years and do it again.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-18-2014 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe