Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM

51 posts, read 58,499 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Los Angeles where I'm one of the owners of a successful small business. We have a 2 year old and another one probably heading our way next year. My wife and I desperately want our kids to be more "worldly" (whatever that means) than we were, so we have lots of travel plans (we already took our son to Vienna and Munich at 6 months, and we're taking him on a two-week business trip in October to Europe).

My wife and I keep toying with the idea of moving abroad in a few years for a stretch, when the kids are old enough to soak it in. I have the luxury of our company having a subsidiary in Ireland, which qualifies me for a work visa there. My understanding is that an Irish work visa would create free movement flexibility for us to live elsewhere in the EU. The finances would be easy as I would continue to draw my salary in the US.

Has anyone done something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
I desperately want our kids to be more "worldly" (whatever that means) than we were, so we have lots of travel plans (we already took our son to Vienna and Munich at 6 months, and we're taking him on a two-week business trip in October to Europe).
I really doubt if your two year old will become worldly at this age, but to go there and stay there for a few years, at a later time when your kids are at least around 6 years old at a minimum, if you only will stay for a few years.

The quickest way for your kids to get any European influence is when they go to local schools and NOT to some International School !!! We never were part of the Expat groupes there ! Impossible since we lived in a small town with more cows than people !

When we went, our youngest was two at the time, but we stayed for 11 years total !
All of them are multi-lingual, were way ahead of their peers when we returned and now have jobs with international firms, due to their native language capability!

BTW, if you plan on having kids, have them in Europe, way cheaper !!!
We had one born in Germany, Wife stayed in the hospital for 10 days !!!
She loved the pampering ... !

So ... , do not let anything stop you !!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
My family and I live in Los Angeles where I'm one of the owners of a successful small business. We have a 2 year old and another one probably heading our way next year. My wife and I desperately want our kids to be more "worldly" (whatever that means) than we were, so we have lots of travel plans (we already took our son to Vienna and Munich at 6 months, and we're taking him on a two-week business trip in October to Europe).
Sorry but I don't think your 2 year old would remember anything about Vienna and Munich when he grows up.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
Your child will be surprised to learn he was a world traveler before age 2. If he spent a year in Europe beginning soon, he would probably not remember.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Save your money and travel or consider moving internationally when your child is old enough to remember the experiences.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I really doubt if your two year old will become worldly at this age, but to go there and stay there for a few years, at a later time when your kids are at least around 6 years old at a minimum, if you only will stay for a few years.

The quickest way for your kids to get any European influence is when they go to local schools and NOT to some International School !!! We never were part of the Expat groupes there ! Impossible since we lived in a small town with more cows than people !

When we went, our youngest was two at the time, but we stayed for 11 years total !
All of them are multi-lingual, were way ahead of their peers when we returned and now have jobs with international firms, due to their native language capability!

This is the best advice. I wished my job offered the type of flexibility that would allow me to do this for my daughter.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM

51 posts, read 58,499 times
This is great advice, thank you Irman. I'd love to hear more about your experience living abroad (work vs. lifestyle decision, where you were, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This is the best advice. I wished my job offered the type of flexibility that would allow me to do this for my daughter.
If you really want to do something like this,
then without quitting your work,
find what else you can do with a company
that has a division on Europe.

Google is your friend ....

Just going to Europe and hoping to get a job,
you need to be a superduper whatever in your field,
to be able to beat the locals,
and you need to speak the language pretty well .

I have always been convinced that if you really want something,
you will get it, but you have to really work hard at it !
Wishing for anything, does not get you anywhere !

Old 06-29-2014, 04:24 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
Move to a third world country with cheaper cost of living and better standard of living for your money.

Europe is expensive..and, I'm afraid that not "wordly" at all (the continent is moving just the opposite way).

Europan expats love Souteastern Asia, Latin America.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 AM

27 posts, read 33,433 times
My experience: Good!
My advice: Start preparing now, but don't hurry.
My familiy moved from US to Munich about 20 years ago, when I was 5. Dad applied for a job here in his company. Definitely mum's and dad's best idea ever!
Many US companys have their european head quarters here, Microsoft, McDonalds, and a dozen more. Also many big employers in Munich with units in US, which you can join, and after a while ask for work in their headquarter in The Reich.
I live in a village in the southern highland, lake district. Just 40 minutes by train to Munich city. Great place for kids to grow up! Countryside, but not an outback. A big city close by with all the infrastrucure and cultural life, and many good employers for mum and dad.

We went to normal schools for normal kids, no fancy international golden cage. We learned german much faster than our parents. I know other parents coming in from US and Canada, because I earn some money as a relocation helper for dad's company. Zero problems with kids, if you choose the right place to live.
I remember my childhood as a great time, skiing, swimming, wind surfing, playing in forests and abandoned farms. I don't think I missed anything in the US. And when my father had to go back home for his last career step recently, I and my brother stayed here, because we recognized that we were not abroad, but at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe