Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 16,641 times

Advertisements

I posted this in a years-old thread and realized it would be smarter to start a different thread!

I'm wondering if anyone might have info to help our current decision-making process. We're in an odd/unique/lucky situation in that we're young, but have retirement income that would allow us to live nearly anywhere with a reasonable cost of living (not the SF Bay Area, where we currently are). We have four young children, and they speak German and English. As we've researched US areas to relocate to, we find ourselves frustrated with the fact that, to live within about 90 minutes of a large-ish/cosmopolitan area, we cannot afford the housing (four kids + constant visitors = big house!). In areas we can afford housing (that also have wonderful outdoor opportunities, good schools, good food, generally good quality of life), we are afraid we will feel very "off the grid". For my husband and me, this isn't a huge deal, but we want our kids exposed to at least the cultural and linguistic diversity that we were when we were growing up.

Given that I have family and friends spread throughout Europe, and my husband speaks Spanish and passable German (ie, perhaps there's hope that we can learn a new language!), we are starting to search in Europe. The big question is taxes. To begin with, we will likely not work: I hold EU citizenship, so we could move to an EU country without jobs (I think?), so we're looking to survive off our current income for the time being. How are expat retirees taxed in Europe? When I worked in Germany I managed to get myself taxed by both the US and Germans, and I'd like to avoid that. How on earth does having a US income and living overseas work? I know every country will be different, so if you have any info on any specific country, that would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 12:10 PM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
There is no double taxation. Unless your CPA is clueless

Google auslaenderamt for official details to bring spouse and children to Germany.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsandski View Post
I posted this in a years-old thread and realized it would be smarter to start a different thread!

I'm wondering if anyone might have info to help our current decision-making process. We're in an odd/unique/lucky situation in that we're young, but have retirement income that would allow us to live nearly anywhere with a reasonable cost of living (not the SF Bay Area, where we currently are). We have four young children, and they speak German and English. As we've researched US areas to relocate to, we find ourselves frustrated with the fact that, to live within about 90 minutes of a large-ish/cosmopolitan area, we cannot afford the housing (four kids + constant visitors = big house!). In areas we can afford housing (that also have wonderful outdoor opportunities, good schools, good food, generally good quality of life), we are afraid we will feel very "off the grid". For my husband and me, this isn't a huge deal, but we want our kids exposed to at least the cultural and linguistic diversity that we were when we were growing up.

Given that I have family and friends spread throughout Europe, and my husband speaks Spanish and passable German (ie, perhaps there's hope that we can learn a new language!), we are starting to search in Europe. The big question is taxes. To begin with, we will likely not work: I hold EU citizenship, so we could move to an EU country without jobs (I think?), so we're looking to survive off our current income for the time being. How are expat retirees taxed in Europe? When I worked in Germany I managed to get myself taxed by both the US and Germans, and I'd like to avoid that. How on earth does having a US income and living overseas work? I know every country will be different, so if you have any info on any specific country, that would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Which country do you possess EU citizenship from? You can't move to that country with your husband, but you can all the others. What threestep said is Ausländeramt. The ae might not come up. Also, check the rules on EU migration. As far as I know, your non-EU husband (I'm assuming he's not an EU/EEA citizen?) can't exercise EU treaty rights with you if you are not self-employed, a student, or looking for a job.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
Hi Sunsandski,

Three step is somewhat right... In most cases, double taxation can be avoided. However this is usually the case for earned income. If you don't plan on working, your income will be considered "unearned income" and many of the big expat tax credits/exclusions do not work on this type of income. This is why it is particularly important to research each countries tax structure (and their agreements with the US), and make sure your unearned income will not be subject to dual taxation.

A good idea is to move to a country with a tax treaty, and a totalization agreement, in place with the US (Germany, Spain, UK, etc). With these agreements in place, you should be able to eliminate dual taxation.

Another great resource for you is this article: US Expat Taxes In Germany by Greenback Expat Tax Services

It details everything you should know as an American moving to Germany (as an example).

I hope this helps!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
You mention the cost of housing near metro areas in the US to be outside of what you can afford. Have you checked on the cost of housing in the countries you would consider in the EU?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 8,600 times
Sunsan

Legally, yes..if you are a resident....but there are many double taxation treaties. So in many EEC countries you will only have to pay in the European country...The best would be to obtain resident status in a tax shelter... Andorra, Gibraltar....and then find out if you can dodge the IRS with a double taxation treaty.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Regarding housing costs, when coming from the SF Bay Area any place except a few expensive places like Paris, London, some places in Switzerland will be dirt cheap. Otherwise except fuel and cars in some countries, costs of living are generally lower in Europe.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Regarding housing costs, when coming from the SF Bay Area any place except a few expensive places like Paris, London, some places in Switzerland will be dirt cheap. Otherwise except fuel and cars in some countries, costs of living are generally lower in Europe.
Well, I guess that just depends on the country and the area and where one is moving FROM like you said. I lived in Germany for several years, in a midsize town, and my daughter lives in a small town in northern England now so we visit her at least once a year. Both those areas are much more expensive than living in most of the US, even though they are not big metro areas.

I also have some friends in Belgium and their cost of living (in a little town outside of Ghent) is astronomical compared to similar places in the US.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I guess that just depends on the country and the area and where one is moving FROM like you said. I lived in Germany for several years, in a midsize town, and my daughter lives in a small town in northern England now so we visit her at least once a year. Both those areas are much more expensive than living in most of the US, even though they are not big metro areas.
Hey, I lived in the great state of Texas, Austin to be specific. Again, otherwise than fuel and cars, everything is much cheaper in Europe than in the US especially for somebody from the SF Bay Area. Unless you would want to compare medium to large European cities to rural Texas, that is.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
I just checked the requirements for non-EU spouses to come live in the EU. Sunandsky, as an EU citizen, all you need to move back with your husband is to have a pension income that is enough that you can live in that country without needing income support (i.e. welfare/benefits) for him and you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe