Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Same in Spain, where everyone shares what they do asap, and there's no embarrassment in stating that one has a lower paying job. I never ran into long discussions about salaries in Spain, but several people told me their salaries there without any shame or anything.

In the U.S. it's next to impossible to find out what someone is making.
Easy topic to discuss at 54%+ in the under 25 age group. What do you make? Nothing! Me too, lets party as Spain has the best nightlife!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Salaries are opaque in the USA because the culture operates on a social model where how much money you make is tied in with morality. This goes way back to puritan times. Nobody wants to say they make too little because that means they are a bad person, and nobody wants to say they make too much because that means they are a braggart. In most European countries, economics are separate from morality.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM

595 posts, read 719,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Easy topic to discuss at 54%+ in the under 25 age group. What do you make? Nothing! Me too, lets party as Spain has the best nightlife!
Well, the 80% of those under 25 age unemployed are students so not an easy topic to discuss.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
I believe that the underemployment and unemployment in the U.S. (dead factories, dead towns, etc.) since jobs were taken to Asia, make the U.S. one of the worst unemployment countries. The actual reporting of unemployment and underemployment in the U.S. is, I believe (from what I'm sensing here) underreported. This is a problem particularly because here in the U.S. there are multiple costs people in Europe don't have, there is very little job security here, there is very little financial help when one loses a job, and families are fractured, distant, and they cannot provide any help.

People in the U.S. are far unhappier and have always been unhappier than people in Spain, and not because they're genetically different. It's because the U.S. lifestyle sucks, and I am being polite.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Salaries are opaque in the USA because the culture operates on a social model where how much money you make is tied in with morality. This goes way back to puritan times. Nobody wants to say they make too little because that means they are a bad person, and nobody wants to say they make too much because that means they are a braggart. In most European countries, economics are separate from morality.
Good point. Also, at workplaces in the U.S., it is a crime almost worse than a felony for people to share with one another how much money they make.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 PM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I believe that the underemployment and unemployment in the U.S. (dead factories, dead towns, etc.) since jobs were taken to Asia, make the U.S. one of the worst unemployment countries. The actual reporting of unemployment and underemployment in the U.S. is, I believe (from what I'm sensing here) underreported. This is a problem particularly because here in the U.S. there are multiple costs people in Europe don't have, there is very little job security here, there is very little financial help when one loses a job, and families are fractured, distant, and they cannot provide any help.
I believe, I sense - give me facts. What costs do people have in the US that people in Europe do not have? Besides A/C? I can tell you first hand about unemployment in Europe and in the US.

Quote:
People in the U.S. are far unhappier and have always been unhappier than people in Spain, and not because they're genetically different. It's because the U.S. lifestyle sucks, and I am being polite.
To return the politeness - the roads are open.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Are people from Europe 'nicer' and less egotistical than Americans?

Some are and some are not.How can a generalization such as that even be made?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Some are and some are not.How can a generalization such as that even be made?

Because pissing contests are fun!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Good point. Also, at workplaces in the U.S., it is a crime almost worse than a felony for people to share with one another how much money they make.
Actually federal law makes it illegal for employers to prohibit employees from discussing their salaries, on their own time. Employees' right to discuss their compensation packages is protected by our laws. (Federal and municipal government agencies and religious schools are exempt from this law, but it applies to all other businesses.)
Federal Laws for Employees' Right to Share Salary Information With Other Employees | Chron.com

National Labor Relations Act, Chapter 7
National Labor Relations Act | NLRB

Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I believe, I sense - give me facts. What costs do people have in the US that people in Europe do not have? Besides A/C? I can tell you first hand about unemployment in Europe and in the US.
Are you writing a dissertation? Or is your google search engine malfunctioning?

Quote:
To return the politeness - the roads are open.
They sure are. Those that lead south lead to nowhere good. Those that lead elsewhere, well, that depends on where the end of the road is going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe