Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,899,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe you shouldn't wear your "USA Sucks" T-shirts when you're visiting the US.

If you've actually spent a significant amount of time (in other words, outside airports and metro city centers for several days or longer) then I'd be very surprised that most of the people you met in the US were rude and cold
Yes, I spent my time in relatively large cities on the West Coast, East Coast and Midwest. The Midwest was the worst of the lot. West Coast wasn't too bad. So what are you implying - that small-town and rural Americans are friendlier? I have a hard time believing that given the charged atmosphere that has been around in the last decade.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,373,864 times
I find that generally European people are more polite.. we say thank you, please etc more than Americans do.

For example, I know a few Americans from university and they tend to say things like 'pass me the cheese' whereas I would always say please in the same statement.

It obviously is not the same for all people though! I haven't been to America so I can't really talk about this.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,700,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
Uh... ok. Lumping all Euros together is wrong, but lumping all Americans together is fine.

This is all anecdotal, of course. Anyway, a lot of the time the world around us is a mirror. If everyone you run into when you're out traveling or talking to people is an ill-mannered jackass, maybe it's time to examine your own behavior and attitudes...

I've met my share of obnoxious twits anywhere I've been, whether it's been the US or Europe. They've always been a very small minority, though. I don't think people are "nicer" in one place than in another.
But "Euro" is not 1 country, nor is it 1 common language. (Maybe Esperanto??? LOL!!)

Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Haha, sorry, guess i was speaking dunglish Thought you guys use the same expression. In dutch "het hemd van je lijf vragen" It means so much as some one asking a lot of questions, actually a bit to much.
This guy i met sat next to me on the plain, said hello and started litterally firing all kinds of questions at me. Like where i was from, were i went in the states, how long, where i was going now, what i did for a living etc etc. I thought he must be CIA or something
I mean, i don't mind having a conversation with a stanger in the bus or in the store, i actually like it, but the way he did it made me feel pretty uncomfortable. I answered some of 'em but he went asking further and i then just kind of ignored him, didn't know what to do with it. Same story, but a little less extreme with some other people i met on the rest of the two weeks i was there.
Seems like they easily jumped to conversation about stuff we normally keep private and if i'd do that in Holland to a stranger on the bus he'd be either offended or think i'm a little crazy.
Well, thanks for the clarification!

I can see why you would be unsettled by the guy on the plane and his probing conversation - as an American, I would have been too! I mean, there's some truth to that old axiom, "He who is asking the questions is controlling the conversation." I don't ever really appreciate being on the receiving end of a lot of personal questions by a stranger.

I think he may have put a bad taste in your mouth and colored your perception of other conversations and Americans. Understandable.

That being said, we DO sometimes talk more openly about things like jobs, vacation plans, that sort of thing. If it makes you feel any better, as an American southerner, I am used to even Americans from other regions calling us southerners crazy for being so congenial, talkative, etc.!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM

125 posts, read 168,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishtoLA View Post
Opposite. Most Europeans are very cold, arrogant and would never talk to strangers. Indeed, they would never even smile or say hi to you anywhere unlike Americans who would most likely talk while staying at queue, grocery store, elevator, etc.

There is a reason for this! I comment I can answer yay! This is especially true of French women. Let me say it is NOT rudeness- it is self preservation. Europeans do not generally smile and nod hello to strangers. Want to know why? Because the people that DO smile and say hello to strangers are invariably crooks- rapists, and up to no good. Ever fallen for a gypsy scam?? They are all over the place! It's best to avoid strangers there at all times.

May I say something - American women are TOO eager to "sound nice" and it gets them into trouble. Many a mugging and/or rape occurs because the American woman did not wish to appear rude, racist, or unfriendly (read police reports- this is a fact)

Europeans ARE nice- they ARE good hearted, but they aren't going to go out of their way to convince a total stranger. If a woman in Europe smiles at a stranger, she is "on the make" and considered maybe a prostitute plying her trade.

Europeans are NOT rude! In fact, they may assume that Americans are "rude" for being so pushy and annoying for demanding a greeting from a stranger. Why should I say "hello" to you just for passing you on the sidewalk? I don't know you- maybe you are a murderer or maybe you had a bad day and don't wish to be bothered or forced to smile for no reason. Americans seem "stupid" and vacant headed to Europeans because Americans are always smiling. It's not about "happiness". People are not required to smile all the time- it is not always a symbol of happiness, you know. Plus, Europeans have a lot to NOT smile about- rampant immigration, memories of political upheavals, the economy (Spain's unemployment is 45%!!!)

so, please do not paint Europeans as "rude" or unfriendly.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Yes, I spent my time in relatively large cities on the West Coast, East Coast and Midwest. The Midwest was the worst of the lot. West Coast wasn't too bad. So what are you implying - that small-town and rural Americans are friendlier? I have a hard time believing that given the charged atmosphere that has been around in the last decade.
What I'm saying (not implying) is that outside of airports and big metro areas, people do tend to be friendlier, more open, more helpful in general.

There are lots of types of communities throughout the US - we don't have only huge metros, small towns and rural areas. The "small city" or "big town" is another very common sort of community in the US - those cities with between say 50,000 and 300,000 or so - towns that are big enough to be diverse but small enough to avoid some of the hectic lifestyle of huge metro areas.

Small towns (500 to 15,000 people or so) vary greatly here, by region and proximity to larger towns and cities. It's impossible to say that ALL small towns or rural areas are friendlier than metro areas.

But Americans are known the world over for being friendly, as well as being very customer service oriented. That's why I say it's very unusual for anyone to spend any significant amount of time in the US and come away saying that just about everyone they met was rude or cold. This makes me think that at least part of the problem when it comes to social interactions must come from the person making that claim.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:53 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,700,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The American fall-back stance. If you lose the other person must be a Commie.
Exactly!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM

312 posts, read 396,770 times
Quote:
Why should I say "hello" to you just for passing you on the sidewalk?
In bygone days, this would be common courtesy, even in Norway. However, in increasingly urban and alienated societies common courtesy withers. These days, people push and shove their way past each other.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,373,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
In bygone days, this would be common courtesy, even in Norway. However, in increasingly urban and alienated societies common courtesy withers. These days, people push and shove their way past each other.
I was working as a tour guide the other day at university. I had to stand in a t-shirt and give directions to anybody who was lost. I had lots of people passing by saying hello or smiling. I think it does still happen sometimes

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,028,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
As a midwesterner myself, I have to admit that small town and rural americans in the NE and Midwest are decidedly NOT friendly to outsiders. People in NH, Upstate NY, VT and Maine are some of the rudest people I have ever met. I live in Minnesota and everyone is convinced of their superior niceness here but the reality is people are quite socially inept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe