U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,556,791 times

Advertisements

There is a remarkable geographic anomaly surprise of Vienna Austria getting surrounded with some Eastern European countries not too far away. Bratislava Slovakia is only 49 miles/79km, less than 1 hour away from Vienna Austria. Brno Czech Republic is only 83 miles/134km 1 hour 30 minutes to get there. Budapest Hungary is literally only 2 hours away, and to Austrian/Hungarian border around 1 hour. Prague is only 3 hours from Vienna.

How is Vienna getting affected in any way from Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia? Is there any noticeable influence and similarities between these countries in Architecture, Culture, People Scene, and Lifestyle, especially between Vienna to Prague/Bratislava/Brno/Budapest?

Areas of Austria not in Vienna around states of Lower Austria, and Burgenland probably have much more common characteristics to some regions of Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia.

There is a prominent, strong association of Austria to Central EU & Western Europe culturally, and in main events of reality, yet very close proximity to some areas of Eastern Europe is often intentionally ignored, and not remembered well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,725,982 times
I can only speak from my own experience but there is a huge cultural difference between Austria and Slovakia- if you ever cross from Austria into Slovakia, you can clearly see how the culture, and the way they do things is totally different.

Similar experience when you take a bus/train from Bavaria to the Czech Republic- as soon as the train/bus stops in some of those small Czech towns, you can clearly see that they are poorer, they don't take care of their buildings and cities as well as the Germans too.

Czech Republic/Slovakia have high levels of corruption where Germany/Austria are some of the least corrupt countries in the world. I don't understand all the history of these places but at least in my opinion, there are huge cultural differences between Germany/Austria and Czech Republic/Slovakia.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 PM

18,300 posts, read 15,373,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Similar experience when you take a bus/train from Bavaria to the Czech Republic- as soon as the train/bus stops in some of those small Czech towns, you can clearly see that they are poorer, they don't take care of their buildings and cities as well as the Germans too.

Czech Republic/Slovakia have high levels of corruption where Germany/Austria are some of the least corrupt countries in the world. I don't understand all the history of these places but at least in my opinion, there are huge cultural differences between Germany/Austria and Czech Republic/Slovakia.

It's all Russia's fault.
Because as we all know, Czechs are true Western Europeans.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM

292 posts, read 859,604 times
Austria was the only part of the former Austrian empire which did not get occupied by Russians, which means it was able to maintain a higher level of economic development than its neighbours, thus many people from the neighbouring Czech Republic and Slovakia commute and/or move there for work and education. The cultural differences between Austrian and Czech/Slovak cultures increase everyday, as the countries are growing apart from each other, while the economical differences decrease every day, as the Czech and Slovak Republics generally have a much better economic growth than Austria. As Bratislava is located directly on the border with Austria but also Hungary, the border areas in these countries are increasingly subjected to the urban growth of Bratislava.

PS: You seem to be assuming that upon the Russian invasion the territory of former Austrian empire was split into some sort of Eastern and Western Europe... i find that laughable

Last edited by FrankCostello; 07-10-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 PM

204 posts, read 187,375 times
After Austrian empire dissolved Czechoslovakia belonged to the 10 most developed countries in the World and was richer than Austria. Czechoslovakia was back then only democratic country in the Central Europe in the sea of fascim and Nazism.
Unfortunatelly the Munich betrayal when our allies France and United Kingdom turned bravely their back on us and sacrificed us for thier own good screwed it all up.
After the II WW communists took power over Czechoslovakia and following 40 years of stagnation, stealing, occupation and invasion of Russian/Soviet/Warsaw pact troops left our coutnries Czech and Slovak republics poor and destroyed.

Czech and Slovak republics ended in this situation thanks to stupidity of our predecessors. They believed in unified Europe dream which is total nonsense, they believed they had allies (France, UK and Italy) what again turned to be a total nonsese (and we can see it even today), they believed in social equality and tried to impose communism and again it had turned against them.
It's difficult to judge after a 40 years of oppression and wait that within 20 years all things will change like if nothing happened.
We at least know that in the future we can't rely on our allies (NATO) that's why we rejected any foreign troops on our soil, that's why we are against any Russian aggression.

We can turn back to this discussion after another 20 years because after having traveled throughout the Europe and worked in many foreign companies I can tell you that there are very few nations in the Europe that can compete Slovak and/or Czech quality of work.
Then we can discuss your points again.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 AM

386 posts, read 621,577 times
I know from having lived in the Czech Rep. years ago that there are many cultural similarities due to shared history in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Czechs share with Austrians a love of the outdoors, a more introverted style, and a tendency to get up WAY TOO EARLY for work (supposedly based on the waking habits of Franz Josef). I think overall Austrians see Czechs almost as poorer, slightly uncouth siblings.

A lot of the architecture of the region is similar (some Baroque, a lot of Art Nouveau facades), although Austria's buildings have been better maintained, at least until recently. Austrian author Joseph Wechsberg notes that many Viennese cooks were from Czechoslovakia, and there are many similar foods (schnitzel, goulash, dumplings --- although with regional variants). The whole region shares a "cafe culture".

Interestingly, Austrians were on the whole supportive of Czechs after the Velvet Revolution, but my impression is that the honeymoon was over fairly quickly. I was in Vienna shopping once in the early nineties and a shopkeeper heard me speaking English. "Where are you from?" he asked, smiling. Half in jest I said "Czech" (although I'm an American, I was living there at the time). His smile vanished, and he curtly replied, "Don't touch anything!"

Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,455,003 times
As people mentioned above:

Architecture: Pretty similar in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria due to our common history. Some neighborhoods in Prague, Budapest and Vienna are basically indistinguishable.
It's probably true that our neighbors have more Commie blocks, but we have them as well... We just hide them a tad better.
See: Alterlaa, Am Schöpfwerk, Karl-Marx-Hof, ... Tourists avoid those places for a reason.
Infrastructure tends to be more modern in Austria, even though the situation in the Czech Republic and Hungary is quickly improving. Vienna is again an example of how things shouldn't be: trams and buses in this city are probably even older than the ones in Bratislava...

Food and drinks: Viennese cuisine combines everything that was once popular in the empire. Heavily influenced by Czech and Hungarian cuisine. Pretty good, even though it can be hard at times to find traditional food from western Austria...

I can give you a few recommendations for bars, clubs, cafes and restaurants in Vienna. Just PM me.

The wine culture in Vienna is pretty much the same as in Hungary (fröccs = G'spritzte). Coffeehouse culture is to be found in all of the major cities in Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia.
The beer sector is dominated by the Czech Republic. Viennese and Hungarian beer sucks. Most of the bars and restaurants in Vienna therefor carry Kozel, Budejovicky Budvar, Starobrno, some sort of western Austrian beer and a Viennese beer for those who don't know any better (either Ottakringer or Schwechater).

Economy: Many shops with Austrian roots are now known in other central European countries (Billa, ...). Same goes for banks (Raiffeisen, Erste/Sparkasse, ...).
Last time I went to Bratislava it seemed like half of the shops were Austrian But yeah, I guess those are the perks of heavily investing in the region.

Politics: Our countries have a pretty good relationship. We usually side with them or Germany/Netherlands/Finland/...

Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM

72 posts, read 146,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
There is a remarkable geographic anomaly surprise of Vienna Austria getting surrounded with some Eastern European countries not too far away.....
I'm guessing you from US? all those countries and cities share a lot of common history as they were part of a common empire so it is not surprising

also geopolitical division of Europe into East and West has lost its meaning since the fall of communism

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Austria was the only part of the former Austrian empire which did not get occupied by Russians,
O yes it was, up to 1955 If I remember correctly. Actually the only part of Austrian empire which was not under Soviet occupation was Yugoslavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
PS: You seem to be assuming that upon the Russian invasion the territory of former Austrian empire was split into some sort of Eastern and Western Europe... i find that laughable
Austrian empire was split post WW1, after the Second World War USSR, UK and US did split Europe into eastern and western part

Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,455,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko View Post
IO yes it was, up to 1955 If I remember correctly. Actually the only part of Austrian empire which was not under Soviet occupation was Yugoslavia
And parts of northern Italy (Trento-Südtirol, Trieste) Plus, only parts of north-eastern Austria were under Soviet occupation.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,556,791 times
Well, after Romania, and France, I traveled in Czech Republic, Austria, and Slovakia this past July. I rode a bus between Prague Czech Republic to Vienna Austria, and another day between Vienna and Bratislava Slovakia.

Czech Republic and Austria definitely feel like very different countries and especially between Austria and Slovakia feel even more different. Culture, Scenery, Architecture, People Scene, Language, Ethnic demographics, Historical background, National to International Reflection of those Countries, Energy in the Air, Initial Impressions, Vibes, some Entertainment Options, and My Expectations Before & After Traveling In Each Country the 1st Time In My Life all offer another version of an experience in each country.

However, of course there are some subtle similarities simultaneously. Architecture is maybe the most evident example of a very subtle similarity. There is definitely an abundance of magical, visually attractive colorful buildings in colors like golden yellow, sky blue, and green including magnificent carved intricate details etched into those buildings in Prague Czech Republic. I notice some of those kinds of buildings really exist in Vienna Austria, and Bratislava Slovakia, and sometimes not too rare depending on some streets in some neighborhoods. Although, Baroque, and Nouveau versions of architecture is much more frequent all over Prague compared to Vienna, and Bratislava. I didn’t really notice this exact type of architecture in France or Romania even when I enjoy architecture of those countries too.

There is an apparent reality existing where there was a Democratic Western Europe: Austria and a Communist Soviet influenced Eastern Europe: Czech Republic, Slovakia back in those times in the past. I kind of definitely felt this subtle difference of environment the second I crossed the borders between Czech Republic to Austria and from Austria to Slovakia.

However, there is simultaneously a Austro-Hungarian empire existing in historic times where all of those countries are part of the same empire back then, and taking away any status and delusions between Western Europe vs. Eastern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or