Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance on another forum posted about a recent experience, in which he was reported to the police for bringing drugs into the country illegally. (He is not German, but has been living there for a year or two. The impartiality of the informant is highly questionable.) As it happens, he does possess and use CNS stimulant drugs legally by prescription, and he did bring a supply from his home country when he entered Germany. Some of the the tablets he arrived with are from a nine-year-old script, but he still has them in the original bottle with the usual prescription label bearing his name and address and all the rest of the usual data points. With regard to the medication in the old bottle, he and his doctor determined that a different but related drug combo worked better for him, although he did hold on to the old medication just in case. This seems standard procedure to me. It's always been my impression that people who take meds for chronic conditions don't like to throw out any extra medication they may have, because you never know, you might need it.

Based on what he's told us, the prosecution has a problem with the fact that the prescription is so old, and are evidently suggesting that he obtained the drugs illegally and much more recently, and is merely using the old bottle to store them in. For whatever reason--and I know nothing of German law--the burden of proof seems to be on my acquaintance to show that he obtained the drugs legally, and this despite the fact that he's got the original prescription bottle.

So my question is this: Does German law require prescribed medications to be discarded after a stated length of time? Do the laws of any country do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM

61,688 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Huh? This story doesn't make sense. First of all - who reported him to the police? And why???
And no - I am not aware of any laws requiring prescribed medication to be discarded after stated length of time...
This person should contact his doctor and ask to clarify the situation.
There is something wrong with the "story".

BTW: common sense - when traveling internationally with medications to check and find out about any restrictions on these medications in the visiting countries.

Last edited by elnina; 07-19-2014 at 12:19 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 03:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
So my question is this: Does German law require prescribed medications to be discarded after a stated length of time? Do the laws of any country do this?
Long story short: No. There must have been another mistake.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:43 AM

418 posts, read 559,564 times
if the doctor has given him a new script for the same or similar medication I can not see the issue

Old 07-19-2014, 12:50 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh? This story doesn't make sense. First of all - who reported him to the police? And why???
And no - I am not aware of any laws requiring prescribed medication to be discarded after stated length of time...
This person should contact his doctor and ask to clarify the situation.
There is something wrong with the "story".

BTW: common sense - when traveling internationally with medications to check and find out about any restrictions on these medications in the visiting countries.
Pretty much he's done what you suggest here, but I'm surprised the case hasn't been thrown out. To clarify, I should have stated at the outset he's being accused of importation with intent to sell, but by his account it seems preposterous given what one can infer about the quantities involved.

I really can't be too specific here regarding the informant, or much else in the interest of maintaining anonymity. Suffice to say, however that this individual is someone from the defendant's past. If I could say more I'm sure you'd say to yourself, "ah, yes, I see how that could happen."

Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
There is more to the story :$))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe