Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,064,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Not only Paris has a bigger population but it has also higher GDP per capita than most of the large european cities.
Paris is not only large, it is also a very productive city.

The GDP per capita of the largest continental western European cities in 2010.

Paris metro area: $66,120
Munich metro area: $65,924
Brussels metro area: $61,307
Rhine-Main (Frankfurt-Mainz) metro area: $55,727
Hamburg metro area: $51,896
Randstad (Amsterdam-The Hague-Rotterdam-Utrecht): $49,989
Milan metro area: $48,255
Rome metro area: $45,440
Rhine-Ruhr (Cologne-Düsseldorf-Essen) metro area: $43,049
Madrid metro area: $39,026
Berlin metro area: $34,685
Athens metro area: $34,367
Barcelona metro area: $34,313

Paris is in the top, far from the southern european cities.

It is lot more complicated than that.
There are jobs opportunies in Paris, fortunately but now it depends on the type of job you seek and the quality of life you want (tiiny appartement, long and crowded commute, expensive cost of life).

Because of high regulation about employement in France, companies are reluctant to hire as they can't fire easily an incompetent employee incompetent.
Also due to high cost of labor (taxes), it is difficult to hire low qualified job, we have a shotage of jobs like plumber in Paris.

Right.
About job opportunities, it depends what means job opportunities.
The ease to find a job or the diversity of careers ?
You will find more easily a jobs in a booming mining towns of Canada than in New York City but many important sectors will not be represented in this small town unlike in New York.

While it is maybe easier for a youth to find a job in a small town of Germany than in Paris but in term of diversity of careers, Paris is much better.

I don't think that the GDP per capita of Paris is higher than that of Madrid or Barcelona, taking in account that Paris price index is at least twice or more.

Rome is number one, Florence, second, Venice, third....and 10 more Italian cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,590,312 times
Don't exagerate the cost of life in Paris.

This was largest GDP of the mainland European metropolitan areas in 2010.
  • Paris: $781.5 bn
  • Rhine-Ruhr (Cologne-Düsseldorf-Essen): $489.1 bn
  • Moscow: $406.6 bn
  • Randstad (Amsterdam-The Hague-Rotterdam-Utrecht): $390.5 bn
  • Milan: $325.6 bn
  • Madrid: $249.6 bn
  • Rhine-Main (Frankfurt-Mainz): $227.4 bn
  • Barcelona: $189.8 bn
  • Rome: $179.5 bn
  • Berlin: $175.0 bn
  • Munich: $168.5 bn
  • Hamburg: $166.1 bn
  • Brussels: $157.4 bn
  • Athens: $141.5 bn

Note that the most populated area on this list.
  • Moscow: 18.6 million
  • Paris: 11.9 million
  • Rhine-Ruhr (Cologne-Düsseldorf-Essen): 11.4 million
  • Randstad: 7.8 million
  • Milan: 6.4 million
  • Madrid: 6.4 million
  • Barcelona: 5.5 million
  • Berlin: 5 million
  • Athens: 4.1 million
  • Rhine-Main: 4.1 million
  • Rome: 3.9 million
  • Hamburg: 3.2 million
  • Brussels: 2.6 million
  • Munich: 2.6 million

Paris produces more than 30% of France economy (the second largest in Europe). This is a huge economic powerhouse, many people don't realize how big it is.
In many ways Paris is France (many things are concentrated here) and Paris is not France (the city is very different of the rest of the country).
It is not just a question of population, Rhine-Ruhr conurbation is almost as populated as Paris but has a much lower economy.

Even the most populated state of Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia which is more populated than Paris metro has a smaller GDP.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
What does that even mean if Germany had a first tier city? Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich. I live in Europe and let me tell you, France like the rest of Southern Europe is a country in major DECLINE! The fact that Paris has the largest economy has to do more with the fact it has the largest metropolitan area than any other "job opportunities." If I was looking for a job in Europe I would have a much better chance as would anybody of finding one in any city, town, or even dorf in Germany than in Paris. ABSOLUTELY!
That's kind of the beauty of Germany, that they have it in such a decentralized way.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
I am not saying Paris is not an awesome city however is it "the best or #1 city in continental Europe" well in what regard? Job opportunities NOT. Art and architecture, I live in Italy and even the smallest churches here are frescoed and gilded floor to ceiling, Notre Dame De Paris is NOT. Actually and I may be biassed but in Rome besides all the churches, palazzi, and museums being masterpieces of art and architecture there are actually buildings which are a square city block in length and width and their facades and exteriors are covered in intricately hand chiseled white travertine marble the likes of which exist nowhere else in Europe.
It's interesting that Rome was never suggested as a possible alternative to Paris.

Now that it's mentioned, it's a fairly large unrecognized city.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 PM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Paris' status in Continental Europe....basically, #1 without competitor?
Basically yes. No other city in continental Europe can compare with Paris on many levels.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 AM

36,911 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Paris has the highest number of Global 500 company headquarters after Tokyo and is host to a number of influential international organizations. France, a sizable major power, basically put all its eggs in the Paris basket while many other larger European countries had spread it to a number of different cities (such as was done it Italy, Germany, and Spain). The UK and Russia are major European countries that have done similar things, but the UK often falls out of the Continental Europe classification and Russia sometimes does, too.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 AM

36,911 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's interesting that Rome was never suggested as a possible alternative to Paris.

Now that it's mentioned, it's a fairly large unrecognized city.
Rome has several major Italian cities to compete with, the most notable being Milan which is actually the larger metro and metropolitan economy and after that Naples which is of similar metro population size.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 AM

281 posts, read 305,978 times
Quote:
I do agree with you in terms of status however as somebody once said all of France banks on Paris. Now France is an awesome and beautiful country with tons of great cities however Paris is not just it's political capital it is also France's capital of pretty much everything. Finance, institutions, population as well as France largest companies can be found there. In the rest of Europe's countries including Germany and Italy their capital of finance, institutions, art, populations etc is not the same city. For instance Rome is Italy's political and artistic capital however Italy's capital of finance and fashion is Milan where most of the largest companies are found. In Germany ever city has it's own claim to fame. Where for France Paris takes the cake in all fields.

My point is its too easy to make a claim "Paris is the #1 city in Europe" when most of that has to do with the fact it has the largest population and all the amenities which come along with it. It's like (I'm American) so when the Californians say California has the largest economy in America at nearly $2 trillion. Yeah that is because it has by far the largest population of any one state. Meanwhile the true economic powerhouse of America is the North East which is comprised of more than one state such as NY, NJ, CT etc.
As a Californian I have to disagree, but okay. You just took three states and compared them to one. Aside from being America's powerhouse, California feeds one fifth of the world!

Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 AM

169 posts, read 291,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
As a Californian I have to disagree, but okay. You just took three states and compared them to one. Aside from being America's powerhouse, California feeds one fifth of the world!
First off, this is a European forum not American so why not stay on topic. But since you asked. Again California is the state which by far has the largest population in the United Stated. It would be embarrassing if it didn't have the largest GDP. However, the mid-Atlantic states have a $3 trillion dollar GDP compared to the $2 trillion of California. That and the North East is the region of the United States with the MOST developed economy. Also, in terms of per capita wealth depending on household or individual California comes in as the 10th-13th wealthiest state. New Jersey, Connecticut, and Maryland are always the top 3 in all categories in terms of wealth. They even have the highest percentage of millionaires per population. That and NYC and it's metro area is the most populated, influential, {insert any superlative here} of the United States.

Now back to Europe, somebody did get it right when they said with Paris, France basically put all of it eggs in one basket. Although, I still have a problem with is it # 1 in Europe. Yes, it may be home to largest number of fortune 500 companies yet there are far more cities throughout Europe with better employment opportunities etc etc.

Can I ask, do any of you who are commenting actually live in France? Do you fully understand the political, social, and economic strife the country is enduring right now? My point is why make an argument for what is #1 today as it it better to look to a city with a brighter future than one that is (or very well may be) in decline. NO?

Furthermore, Paris receives more than 10 times the visitors each year than it has as residents (city proper). Most of those tourist can care less about the fortune 500 companies and GDP of the city as they come to enjoy all the sensorial delights the city of lights has to offer. It it indeed a magnificent city. However, is it #1 in Europe? That I will never declare especially when much of that has to do with the fact it is the largest metropolitan area in continental Europe and enjoys all the amenities albeit many problems that come along with that appellation.

Finally, just like my example with California, it would be embarrassing for Paris if it didn't have the largest GPD of any European city just based on it's shear size. Meanwhile, France today could easily be deemed "The Sick Man of Europe" by The Economist newsmagazine and California (if this existed) would be "The Sick Man of The United States" for the last 10 years and counting!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,590,312 times
Quote:
Finally, just like my example with California, it would be embarrassing for Paris if it didn't have the largest GPD of any European city just based on it's shear size.
Except that Paris doesn't just have the largest GDP, it also has one of the highest GDP per capita.
So the economic size of Paris is not solely due to its large population.
This is one of the wealthiest place in Europe (at least in term of productivity of its workers).

Quote:
France today could easily be deemed "The Sick Man of Europe" by The Economist newsmagazine
This is more bashing than anything else, France doesn't perform the best in economic growth at this moment but it is not the worst either.
Infact it is pretty average compared with the rest of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe