Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of some low cost countries in Europe that are stabile and safe? We homeschool, and would like to look at spending a few months immersed in another culture so the kids can have some experience abroad.

We'd love France, but that seems expensive. We would have about 30-40k, but there would be 10 of us. This would need to cover airfare as well. We would also have a few grand coming in every month or two, between 2-6k, depending on business.

Is Poland realistic on this budget? Can you think of anywhere? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Portugal, Estonia, Latvia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Greece and Croatia are all perfectly safe, rather cheap and have all the perks of every other EU member state (Visa, ...). If 30-40k are enough "for a couple of months" is impossible to say, though, because you didn't mention how long exactly you want to stay and what sort of accommodation you are planning to stay at.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Rural france isn't really that expensive.
However, it is more expensive than 30K for 10 people.
Plus, most european countries have laws against setting up a homeschooling cult within their borders.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times
Setting up a homeschool cult?? you made me spit my coffee! Lmbo!!
We could stay from September until June, if we could afford it. (Doubtful!)
We can work online from anywhere.. Thanks!

We would either want to rent a place, use hostiles, backpack, no clue what any of this entails. Just seeing what we could manage for cheap!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Depending on your nationality you can remain in most European countries for up to 90 days. As already mentioned - homeschooling is legal in a few states only.
How do you plan on covering health care for 10 people? What do you expect to do for housing/transportation?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Depending on your nationality you can remain in most European countries for up to 90 days. As already mentioned - homeschooling is legal in a few states only.
How do you plan on covering health care for 10 people? What do you expect to do for housing/transportation?
Doesn't matter because the kids won't have their legal residence or usual place of residence in wherever they are gonna be. At least not when they don't overstay their visa.

As for costs of living:

Just check the airfare, monthly costs for a flat in Poland and grocery costs. Multiply that by ten. Boom.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
My bible banger relatives did something like this in Slovenia, but they are rich so I'm sure they had a bigger budget.
Transport costs for 10 people will eat up 75-100% of $30K.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM

418 posts, read 559,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post

We would either want to rent a place, use hostiles, backpack, no clue what any of this entails. Just seeing what we could manage for cheap!
Do you have the right visa to stay for so long? (ie EU passports)

How old are the kids? I assume they are used to sharing/less space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Rural france isn't really that expensive.
However, it is more expensive than 30K for 10 people.
Plus, most european countries have laws against setting up a homeschooling cult within their borders.
German is against homeschooling, for this family for a few months they wouldn't care. It's legal everywhere else in Europe.

Rural France is not expensive, there you are right

Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post

Unless you have the appropriate visa you cannot work online. You seem to ignore one un-cheap expense - exchange rate.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:44 PM

418 posts, read 559,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Unless you have the appropriate visa you cannot work online. You seem to ignore one un-cheap expense - exchange rate.

No one would care if they worked online for their current jobs for a 6 month holiday

The exchange rate is a bad aspect you can't avoid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe