Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,620 times

Advertisements

Are there any Eastern Europeans (or any Europeans) out there that know anything about this ethnic group? I've tried to do research on the web, but there isn't a lot of credible info out there. Maybe because it is such a small ethnicity in terms of population? Are they typically discrminated against and looked down upon in Eastern Europe?

I've been told/discovered that I'm half Rusyn. Apparently, my Rusyn ancestors came to the U.S. from Eastern Slovakia. The other side of my family also came to the U.S. from Eastern Slovakia, but they are ethnic Slovaks and they have slighty different traditions, food etc. I've also noticed that my Rusyn relatives have much darker skin and more round, Russian-looking faces when compared to my Slovak relatives. Is there that much difference between Rusyns and Slovaks? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM

282 posts, read 962,326 times
The first Czechoslovak Republic (created 1918), consisted of the Czech lands, Slovakia and Carpathian Ruthenia. Culturally, Carpathian Ruthenia was the most different from the other regions, because Rusyns are an eastern European ethnic group (practicing eastern church religion, writing cyrillic, etc), they also speak eastern Slavic language which makes it much harder to understand for Slovaks than for example Polish. There are also many other differences in central and eastern European cultures, in terms of family relations etc. During the 2nd world war there was a war over the region of Carpathian Ruthenia between Slovakia and Hungary. As a result Carpathian Ruthenia became an independant country for few hours and later got taken over by the Soviet Union, who managed to completely destroy the cultural and linguistic identity of Rusyns in Carpathian Ruthenia, and there are almost no proclaimed Rusyns in the region today. Majority of Rusyns today are from the minority which still remained in today's eastern Slovakia (about 33,000 people), where they enjoy full minority rights and get to exercise their cultural identity (I believe there's even Rusyn schools). I believe they are well respected in Slovakia, but almost completely unknown in other countries.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,479 times
There are Ruthenians in Romania, as well, though some only identify as Ukrainians. They're an officially recognized minority.

Rusyns of Romania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM

202 posts, read 224,465 times
Rusyns are regular nation.
In Slovakia we recognizing them as an different ethnic group, they have similar traditions, language and many famous people in the world like Andy Warhol or Michael Strank.

There are plenty of articles and websites but either in Rusyn or Slovak language.
According to the last census there is 0,6% of people who recognize themselves as Rusyn/Ruthenian but the real number is much higher.

I can post you some folk music from the youtube and other information later.

After the I WW and creation of Czechoslovakia, we were only country in the region where Rusyns were granted their own cultural rights and right to speak their own language.
Later on in history Ruthenians (on the base of referendum held in Zakarpatska Rus/ Carpathian Ruthenia) became integral nation of Czechoslovakia. After the II WW USSR demanded this teritory and was linked to the Ukraine's teritory. I know that Ukraine doesn't reciognize Ruthenians as an nation and treat them quite badly.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
Rusyns are regular nation.
In Slovakia we recognizing them as an different ethnic group, they have similar traditions, language and many famous people in the world like Andy Warhol or Michael Strank.

There are plenty of articles and websites but either in Rusyn or Slovak language.
According to the last census there is 0,6% of people who recognize themselves as Rusyn/Ruthenian but the real number is much higher.

I can post you some folk music from the youtube and other information later.

After the I WW and creation of Czechoslovakia, we were only country in the region where Rusyns were granted their own cultural rights and right to speak their own language.
Later on in history Ruthenians (on the base of referendum held in Zakarpatska Rus/ Carpathian Ruthenia) became integral nation of Czechoslovakia. After the II WW USSR demanded this teritory and was linked to the Ukraine's teritory. I know that Ukraine doesn't reciognize Ruthenians as an nation and treat them quite badly.
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Michael Strank actually immigrated to my hometown, Johnstown, PA. If you can post any links to English pages, I would check them out. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:26 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Does Ukraine or Russia have people who identify as Rusyns?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does Ukraine or Russia have people who identify as Rusyns?
Ukraine does. I don't know about Russia.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,226,536 times
Rusyns are almost absent in Russia. In general, they do not separate themselves from the Ukrainians. In Wiki written that in the 2010 census 225 people identified themselves as Rusyns in Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe