Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,619 times

Advertisements

Hi - if anybody who is familiar with life in Copenhagen can help out with some info below, I'd really appreciate it.

We currently live in the US (NC) and my daughter is a junior in college. She will be in Copenhagen starting in mid-August for a junior-year-abroad program. She will live in an apartment building/dorm along with other students. The cost of lodging arrangements in Copenhagen is included in the tuition I pay in the US, but students will have to take care of their own meals in Denmark. My daughter will have access to a kitchen in her dorm, and I am trying to find out how much she should budget for monthly food expenses. I have told her she'll need to "tighten her belt" as food is more expensive in Europe than in the US. I am not asking her to eat pasta with butter every day, but at the same time she wouldn't (or rather, shouldn't) eat out for every meal or stop by a coffee shop 4 times daily. Sending her on this year-long program is a bit of a financial stretch for us, but I think being immersed in another culture will open up her mind and help her realize there are other countries and customs outside of the US.

So if you could give me a ballpark figure of how much a student can expect to spend monthly on food, I'll be really thankful. I have a few other miscellaneous questions about life in Denmark, but the budget thing is the most important one for now. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
I can see noone else is reacting, so there can't be many Copenhageners here. Guess I have to step up...
I am currently living in Copenhagen. About the prices - yes, I would guess were in the expensive end.
Most quotes I can find on student budgets range from DKr 900 to 2000, that would be USD 160 to 360. So, I guess pasta with butter at one end and some take away at the other...
Ways for her to economise would be to use the discount supermarkets, like Netto, Aldi, Fakta. They actually carry good stuff, too. A used bicycle might also be a good investment.
Hope this is just a little help. Let me know if you want specifics.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
I don't live there, but I've been there many times. You can probably do it on 50 usd, but I would say 70 usd is probably a more comfortable amount per week - if you want to go to Starbucks or buy your meals somewhere.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
I'm not from Copenhagen but quite familiar with Denmark.

Studying at the university, she'll probably have access to the student canteens, and that's an opportunity you can't pass. She'll get a low-cost (like 35kr) hot meal with salad every day. Eating out is expensive, because the salaries are high, so that I don't recommend doing regularly. Food prices in Europe are often overestimated in the US, like because gas and eating out cost the double -> food prices are also doubled. This is not the case. Shopping at discount supermarkets and hunting for discounts and more importantly - cooking at home is the key thing. Buying two sandwiches, two big cups of coffee, and eating out every day will soon eat up the whole monthly budget in 2 weeks or less.

But as a plus, almost every other student is piss-poor as well, so your daughter will not be alone. Almost all students scrape by somehow and can surely offer help to each other. Forget the expensive nightclubs and drink beer in the park instead, as that's what students do.

Copenhagen is very bikable, and you can do it practically year-around, as the city seldom is freezing cold or get big blizzards. Buying a second-hand bike is something I recommend strongly. It's both good for you and cheap. Students get also cheaper public transport tickets.

I'd say she'll do more than well with around $350 a month. This is for food, transport and entertainment. You should add something for insurance if needed, cell phone and so on. Internet is probably free in the student dorm.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,619 times
CPH2014, Glucorious & Ariete - Thank you very much, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I had a chuckle when you referred to "pi$$-poor students", I was one myself about 30 years ago... And I still have fond memories of that period ;-)

Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
She can get basics like bread, cheese, butter, cucumber, yogurt, eggs, affordably at the co-ops or discount grocery stores. That should take care of breakfast and lunch or dinner. One hot meal/day at the student canteens is a good idea. A strategy like that shouldn't add up to too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe