Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
Yes, a smart advice, but I thought that it's something usual not to drink the tap water (in fact I know some people, who do so and don't get ill, but I think it's not a good thing to do).

Do people in the other countries drink the tap water?
It depends actually.In Taiwan we don't because our tap water is gross,but in Japan and many parts of Western Europe,people do.
Since we don't drink tap water in Taiwan,it's a bit weird for me to drink tap water elsewhere as well,it's just a habit.I didn't really drink any tap water in France or even Japan,though their tap water is said to be perfectly clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM

862 posts, read 1,170,972 times
^ Yes, I feel so too.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It depends actually.In Taiwan we don't because our tap water is gross,but in Japan and many parts of Western Europe,people do.
Since we don't drink tap water in Taiwan,it's a bit weird for me to drink tap water elsewhere as well,it's just a habit.I didn't really drink any tap water in France or even Japan,though their tap water is said to be perfectly clean.
Since you're in Taiwan, instead of going to Moscow, you could go to cities in Siberia and the Russian Far East. Khabarovsk is very nice, and from there you could explore the Amur River (do you call it the Black Dragon River?) There's a lot to see, there: Manchu-speaking tribes and art/culture. Also, I'd recommend Ulan Ude, and Buryatia as a whole. It's a Buddhist republic (being predominantly Mongol), the capital city is beautiful, the entire republic is beautiful. In Buryatia, see Lake Baikal, and also Okinski Region, said to be "Little Tibet" because of the breathtaking mountain scenery, bordering Tuva.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,820,708 times
Quote:
How is it to take shower, rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth with the water that is not advisable to drink, knowing that tap water is pretty much contaminated? When I was in China I forgot to ask about that issue. For me it would be a big issue if I wasn't able to use tap water directly. And when you even boiled the tap in China, the taste became so disgusting that I couldn't drink it and had to resort to bottled water for the time of my whole duration. In my opinion, not having access to clean water shrinks the quality of life dramatically

Sorry for OT.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times
^I think the water here in Taiwan isn't bad for rinsing mouth,but I would never drink it.We usually boil water here.

Idk about the tap water in China though,I guess it's even worse,but I could be wrong.

The only country in Asia where the tap water is clean enough is definitely Japan,no doubt about that.

Quote:
Since you're in Taiwan, instead of going to Moscow, you could go to cities in Siberia and the Russian Far East. Khabarovsk is very nice, and from there you could explore the Amur River (do you call it the Black Dragon River?) There's a lot to see, there: Manchu-speaking tribes and art/culture. Also, I'd recommend Ulan Ude, and Buryatia as a whole. It's a Buddhist republic (being predominantly Mongol), the capital city is beautiful, the entire republic is beautiful. In Buryatia, see Lake Baikal, and also Okinski Region, said to be "Little Tibet" because of the breathtaking mountain scenery, bordering Tuva.
Back to topic.That's really great advice,thanks.I've always wanted to see Moscow and St Petersburg but well,apparently they are very dangerous for Asians or Black.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Back to topic.That's really great advice,thanks.I've always wanted to see Moscow and St Petersburg but well,apparently they are very dangerous for Asians or Black.
AFAIK, European Russia isn't "dangerous" for Asians. You could get police demanding to see your passport (by which they mean, your internal passport, if they think you're a Russian citizen). But upon seeing your foreign passport, everything will be fine. I don't think you have to worry about attacks by skinheads, or anything like that.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
How is it to take shower, rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth with the water that is not advisable to drink,
OP: use only bottled or boiled water for brushing your teeth. You can ask the clerk on your hotel floor for boiled water ("keepee-TOK").

Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signor Asparagus View Post
3. Don't use Sberbank for currency exchange.
Why not?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM

862 posts, read 1,170,972 times
^ I guess he means that the other banks have better course.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 PM

It wouldn't hurt to buy a phrasebook in case you do need to communicate to non-English speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe