Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 PM

62 posts, read 144,812 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know how Sicily and other parts of southern Italy are. Can anyone share their experiences?

I've been to Bari, Italy, it seemed very laid back, I am curious if Sicily or other places in the south have more going on. What would be the most lively city in the south?

Thanks for sharing info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Have not been to Italy yet but Sardinia seems more interesting and beautiful to me than mainland Southern Italy (South of Lazio), not sure about Sicily.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Sicily is VERY laidback but that's what makes it charming. I have nice memories of visiting the little village of Cerda (with its two artichoke-themed restaurants where every item on the menu has local artichokes in it) and the town of Castellamare del Golfo, right next to Zingaro Reserve. Unlike in mainland Europe, having a vehicle would be immensely helpful in Sicily. Palermo is OK but it's the smaller villages and towns that are more interesting. I have not been to Catania.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
I am curious to know how Sicily and other parts of southern Italy are. Can anyone share their experiences?

I've been to Bari, Italy, it seemed very laid back, I am curious if Sicily or other places in the south have more going on. What would be the most lively city in the south?

Thanks for sharing info!
I don't know what your objectives and expectations are, but for most outsiders Sicily and southern Italy offer history which is very, very, very laid back, as in laid way, way, way back in time.

Bari became prominent in history relatively late in the game, while Sicily probably offers the most in terms of ancient history, even more than Greece (but Catania, along with Lecce, is more baroque period), however Campania, notably the mount Vesuvius area, is arguably just as compelling. On the other hand, Calabria and Basilicata offer some niche places. I have taken very slow train rides - and I mean very slow - from one end of the Ionian Sea to the other. But they gave me life.

What do you mean by lively, then? Sicily and southern Italy are not exactly places on the move in the modern and contemporary social and economic sense (except perhaps young people moving out), they haven't been for centuries, and their situation has only become more complicated in the past several years.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,635 times
Amalfi coast, Salento and Valle dei Tempi are among the most beautiful places on Earth and you'll eat nowhere like in Sicily.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,323 times
I am Sicilian and I'd say the following places on the island are worth seeing;

1) Taormina. You can view Mt. Etna from there and it is a quaint town that feels very similar to a Greek island. A lot of ancient Greek architecture and artifacts are nearby, and the town sells a lot of souvenirs and has pretty much every type of shop. It feels like your typical southern Italian coastal town, but it's specifically touristy.

2) Mazara del Vallo, or any other city in Trapani province along the coast. On the western side of Sicily, these towns make you forget you're still in Europe, as the architecture and culture is heavily influenced by North Africa and the Near East. This is good for people who want to experience Near Eastern culture without having to actually travel to countries that are considered dangerous.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
Casserta is interesting if you want to visit the last royal palace before Fascism rose up. I think they are also famous for silk weaving. The town itself isnt very mych.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,441,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Casserta is interesting if you want to visit the last royal palace before Fascism rose up. I think they are also famous for silk weaving. The town itself isnt very mych.
it's Caserta, with just one S. However, it's true that in Caserta there is a fantastic royal palace (we call it "Reggia di Caserta").

Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,355 times
Quote:
Caserta there is a fantastic royal palace (we call it "Reggia di Caserta").
Yes, it's an excellent royal residence. Really worth visiting. Not overcrowded.

Naples itself is interesting too, but the public transport is overcrowded, there are pick-pockets there.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:28 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,774 times
Really liked Taormina (was just there ~2 weeks ago). Absolutely breathtaking views of the sea! We didn't have a car, so didn't really travel around, but will definitely go back again and see more of the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe