Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 PM

49 posts, read 290,643 times

Advertisements

I'm African American so would I have a hard time in europe? From what I understand in my studies, as long as I accept the "European way", I'll be ok? Basically just don't ask questions/resist or try to seem different in terms of culture and nationality? As I learn french I have come in contact with people who love to teach me their ways, I feel it is genuine kindness but what happens once I am fluent, living there and apart of the system?

Will I face racism or discrimination like no rentals or service? I was told like if I went to France they would know me from an African immigrant based on my American style like clothing, language and other mannerisms I guess.. but how true is this? Is the mentality one black person is the same as all blacks and I'm seen as "black" not European ..or do they consider the difference if I am American or contributing to society?

I've lurked on here and for example I'm non muslim and making attempts (if not fluent) to speak the native language and learn the history/politics? How far will this get met in true society because on here people just seem to not like Islam more than anything, I'm Christian.

Basically if I work hard at fitting in (contributing to society, working/school, learning the language & history) and truly doing things their way, would I be accepted or will I always not be apart of their society like a glass ceiling?

I read how Africans/Muslims come and do not wish to immerse themselves in the culture and instead want to do the opposite by bringing their culture to Europe. I understand why this would be a problem but are not my intentions. Is the anti immigration attitude towards them mostly or just everyone in general including americans?

Are some countries better than others at this? England, France, Belgium, Scotland & Sweden can someone tell me how my day to day life would likely be for me on average in those countries especially France? I used to live in the south in a 50% black city and now I live in a nearly all white city across the country. I love it here and I never feel strange (other than being around obvious people who have with white guilt). I fully feel apart of this new city but I dunno how far I'd get in some European countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Will I face racism or discrimination like no rentals or service?
No.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Why always these questions? Do you want to visit? Probably not. Nobody would ask about this, especially not an entire page. Do you want to move??

More details needed.....

Old 08-12-2014, 05:16 AM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Why the anxiety?? Use the search feature - we had MANY threads about it. NO reason to start a new one.
Also, you got plenty answers here:
Studying French. Which country will give me the least racial problems?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 AM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
I'm bored today so I'll answer all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David32 View Post
I'm African American so would I have a hard time in europe? From what I understand in my studies, as long as I accept the "European way", I'll be ok? Basically just don't ask questions/resist or try to seem different in terms of culture and nationality? As I learn french I have come in contact with people who love to teach me their ways, I feel it is genuine kindness but what happens once I am fluent, living there and apart of the system?
As a foreigner it's very hard to drop the "foreigner" tag, it takes some years. But even with this tag you can enjoy the local life and make friends as long as you speak the language fluently. At least in any Western European country, people are overall quite friendly with Americans (I just can't say about Eastern Europe). But yeah, you won't be able to integrate in the local life if you don't speak very well the local language and learn the manners.

Quote:
Will I face racism or discrimination like no rentals or service? I was told like if I went to France they would know me from an African immigrant based on my American style like clothing, language and other mannerisms I guess.. but how true is this? Is the mentality one black person is the same as all blacks and I'm seen as "black" not European ..or do they consider the difference if I am American or contributing to society?
You won't find much racism in Western Europe. I don't say it'll never happen, it may happen once or twice because a tiny minority of people are racists. But most racists in Europe keep this for themselves and won't bother you. Laws are very stricts about racist acts.
Moreover you'll be seen as American before being from African descents as soon as you'll speak. And no, blacks are not all categorized in the same group. Can't speak about other European countries. But they are more categorized in nationalities : Guadeloupean (more seen as Antillais than black), Ivorian, Malian, Congolese, and so on.. Communities are often build around their origins, you may not find the same black culture than you may used to in the US.
Many people have some stereotypes about Americans, like any foreigners, you'll have to prove them wrong or right.

Quote:
I've lurked on here and for example I'm non muslim and making attempts (if not fluent) to speak the native language and learn the history/politics? How far will this get met in true society because on here people just seem to not like Islam more than anything, I'm Christian.
Religion is private. People don't talk often about this. Be open about secularism, atheism and other religions, that's all.

Quote:
Basically if I work hard at fitting in (contributing to society, working/school, learning the language & history) and truly doing things their way, would I be accepted or will I always not be apart of their society like a glass ceiling?
Of course. Best way to be accepted is just to be friendly, have good local manners, speak the language, and make local friends (which take more investment than in the US). No need to try to be elected "best man of the year".

Quote:
I read how Africans/Muslims come and do not wish to immerse themselves in the culture and instead want to do the opposite by bringing their culture to Europe. I understand why this would be a problem but are not my intentions. Is the anti immigration attitude towards them mostly or just everyone in general including americans?
Not all Africans and Muslims do this, many are integrating. Some Asians are not too, and many are.
In France, I think the way you dress we'll drive the attitude people have to you. Just wear the same kind of cloths than the social group you like. If you wear a djellaba, it'll be hard to be friend with a hipster. Wear hipster cloths, will be hard to be friend with people wearing gangsta cloths. And so on. Stupid yeah. But it's how it is. People won't have any other opinion about you. They don't care about your intentions as long as your not a terrorist or a religious fanatic.

Quote:
Are some countries better than others at this? England, France, Belgium, Scotland & Sweden can someone tell me how my day to day life would likely be for me on average in those countries especially France? I used to live in the south in a 50% black city and now I live in a nearly all white city across the country. I love it here and I never feel strange (other than being around obvious people who have with white guilt). I fully feel apart of this new city but I dunno how far I'd get in some European countries.
You wouldn't have any problem in all the countries you listed. Especially if you target big cities. As an American, you'll be welcomed even in small towns in France. Because you are an English speaker, you'll have an easier time integrating in Scotland or England. Swedish speak very well English, it may be harder to integrate than in France tho. You'll have an harder time learning Swedish than French because in France.. you simply have to learn the language. Living just with English would be a nightmare. Depending of your French level, it will be easy to integrate.

Anyway, if you want to live there you just have two solutions. Studies or finding a job before jumping on the plane.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Don't go to Eastern or Southern Europe.

Stay in Northwestern Europe my opinion-advice

Old 08-12-2014, 11:48 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Don't go to Eastern or Southern Europe.

Stay in Northwestern Europe my opinion-advice
Otherwise?
Aaah, yeah.
A friend of your cousin once got insulted by a supposed Italian/Spaniard/Greek/Southern French, then automatically ALL people are racist, you'll find ghettos, law will be against you in any case.
Obviously you are speaking for what you saw and lived, poor soul.
Back in topic, JedlaRoche answered pretty much everything.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

351 posts, read 499,891 times
Why do blacks always wonder whether they'll face racism anywhere they go? It's not a good look

Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 PM

32 posts, read 33,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
Why do blacks always wonder whether they'll face racism anywhere they go? It's not a good look
+1 Exactly. Stop with the inferiority complex, nobody cares what color you are. Just go to Europe and have a good time.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Not so hypocritical people Many white people would ask the same thing if they plan to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe