Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times

Advertisements

There is some suburban shopping malls open the Sunday in Paris metropolitan area.
In France, big supermarkets can open during the morning, they stay open until 1 PM.
Small independant shops don't have restrictions, special stores like gas station can open all the day on sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 45,739 times
Why are many people on this thread still confused? Supermarkets (aka food places) are not suppose to be included on the ban.

For example in Bergen County, NJ the sale of clothing, shoes, furniture, electronics, home supplies, lumber supplies are prohibited on Sundays - which leaves basically out food & flower shops open.

When I refer to "ban" I mean retail non-food stores.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM

23 posts, read 45,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
There is some suburban shopping malls open the Sunday in Paris metropolitan area.
In France, big supermarkets can open during the morning, they stay open until 1 PM.
Small independant shops don't have restrictions, special stores like gas station can open all the day on sunday.
Which mall is that? Only in tourist zones they could open.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM

418 posts, read 559,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

I know of a few shopping centres open till late on Sunday, it's odd isn't it? Other towns have zero open on Sunday.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM

221 posts, read 343,452 times
The opening hours have been extended a great deal over the years in Norway. I remember up until the mid-1980s grocery stores closed at 4:30 pm on weekdays, 1:00 pm on Saturdays and of course closed on Sundays. When I look back it's hard to imagine how people had time to shop back in those days. Opening hours were still mostly designed for homemakers. Fathers at work, mothers at home and children in school.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthManne View Post
Which mall is that? Only in tourist zones they could open.
Les 4 Temps, Thiais Village, Aeroville, Parc de Chanteraines, Bercy Village...

Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
How is Sunday shopping in your European country?

In general....

Germany = Banned (Berlin only allows 8 Sundays a year)
Austria = Banned
Switzerland = Banned
Norway = Banned
England and Wales = 6 hours only
Northern Ireland = Few hours
Spain = Only permitted in larger tourist cities
France = Banned except in few tourist places
Netherlands = Allowed in larger cities
Finland = 6 hours for larger shops
Belgium = Banned (only up to 6 - 9 Sundays a year)
Italy = Mainly banned
Vatican City = Banned
Greece = Only permitted in larger cities

It looks like the German speaking countries are the strictest when it comes to ban on Sunday shopping, similar to those in Bergen County, New Jersey and other 'blue laws' found in the USA.
Perhaps Greece will not have shopping on Sundays after all.

Greek shopkeepers stage strike on first day of Sunday trading, 13 July 2014

Greece may be hobbled by debt and record levels of unemployment, but shopkeepers are damned if they are going to work on the one day many say was given for rest. A law allowing Sunday shopping in 10 tourist regions – enacted last week after a year of ponderous debate - has met with stiff resistance from employees and shop owners alike.

Greek shopkeepers stage strike on first day of Sunday trading | World news | The Guardian

Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think its great that the stores are closed on Sunday, and I wish that was true everywhere. It makes no difference how long a store, bank, or anything, is opened, there would be someone knocking on the door 5 minutes after closing anyway. People will gear their shopping habits according to the open hours.
One day a week for family time is not too much to ask.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Why the ban?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Norway does have a law that bans Sunday shopping. Recently politicians introduced a law that would allow supermarkets to be open on Sundays but has not been passed yet I guess (?)
Strangely, there is a lot of opposition, even from the biggest retailers (due to increased labor costs). Only grocery stores smaller than 100 m² (1,076 ft²) are allowed to be open on Sundays. I hate that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe