Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times

Advertisements

Just back fro Italy. I have to say what a beautiful county - it is soaked with history and culture. I expected a great visit but what I got will stay with me forever. I visited Northern Italy, never even ventured to Rome or further south so I will without doubt be going back to explore the rest in future. Turin was fantastic - didn't expect Turin to be the showstopper of the trip but it was. There were gems at every corner from the architecture to the chilled out people. The Mole Antonelliana building was stunning.

I thought Britain and France had history but Italy is on another level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
I'm glad you liked Turin! practically no one know it outside italy (in particular before the olympic games in 2006), but there are a lot of things to see and to do.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 PM

169 posts, read 293,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

I thought Britain and France had history but Italy is on another level.
I'm glad you noticed. Now if only the Italians could figure out how to properly promote their country Italy could easily welcome 250 million plus tourists a year. You know having nearly as much art on it's soil as practically all of the worlds other countries combined. Add to that a magnificent landscape and stunning natural beauty every where you turn.

PS. As Urania93 noted almost nobody knows Turin outside Italy, which is a shame since it is a stunningly beautiful city rich in baroque architecture and known for "residenze sabuade" ie. The Royal Residences of the house of Savoy. The Savoia are known for having built some of the most sumptuous palaces in Europe.

Residences of the Royal House of Savoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by njusa2013; 08-17-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
I somehow doubt that few people outside Italy know Turin.

maybe it s not a primary tourist destinanion but all football fans know Juventus.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:28 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post

maybe it s not a primary tourist destinanion but all football fans know Juventus.
I second this. It's certainly one of the better known cities of Italy. I guess few people actually visit it, though.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:39 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Italy has always been on my radar. Would love to see Rome, Venice.

I read of lots of scammers in those areas though.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:

maybe it s not a primary tourist destination but all football fans know Juventus.
i said that few people know Turin just because i had some difficulties at explaining where i am from more than once. however i'm really glad to read that there are more people than i expected that know us (and Juventus, W JUVE!).

Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
Well, I'm pretty sure that many people know Turin and JUVE contributes to it a lot.

btw we have a village here in Belarus with the same name (Turin). My parents-in-law have a dacha there, so I have been, too

too bad I haven't been to the "real" Turin, though... Hope someday I will.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Italy looks great. I would love to visit or even live there - although I realise the general flow of people is more in the opposite direction these days due to Italy's bad economy and poor job opportunities.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure that many people know Turin and JUVE contributes to it a lot.

btw we have a village here in Belarus with the same name (Turin). My parents-in-law have a dacha there, so I have been, too

too bad I haven't been to the "real" Turin, though... Hope someday I will.
here in italy we call it "Torino" and not Turin, but it's still a big coincidence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe