Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 11:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I seriously doubt that, although we are getting fatter, we still don't have as many porkers over here like in the US. Especially Southern states like Texas or Alabama are badly affected.

The immigrants actually lower your residents average weight and increase your life expectancy.
I'm sure you're correct. Here is an intersting map of the USA.

Interactive: Adult Obesity in the United States, 1990-2012: F as in Fat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Americans aren't really as obsessed with obese people as Europeans are so its not a big deal to a lot of us.

People here are big into having a 'don't give a ****' attitude where they think they don't think it is there job to please others by looking good, they just do what makes them "happy"

"Curvy girls are beautiful.. bones are for dogs, meat is for men."
(not saying i agree with this quote 100 percent.)

Old 09-03-2014, 02:12 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
For pete's sake give the US a break, if I walked down some random downtown avenue in NYC or Chicago I would be struck senseless by the tall buildings and food THE FOOD!

Sorry got a bit hungry there but seriously the US isn't all bad especially if you wasn't born there, same with Europe when you are born in a place it gets boring and samey samey.

I mean the houses of parliament and Tower bridge for me is just a really really big and old building l, nothing special nice to look at but not "OMG" kinda reaction.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I seriously doubt that, although we are getting fatter, we still don't have as many porkers over here like in the US. Especially Southern states like Texas or Alabama are badly affected.

The immigrants actually lower your residents average weight and increase your life expectancy.
I wasn't talking about IMMIGRANTS. I was talking about MINORITIES. There's definitely a difference between the two terms. Look up white, non Hispanic and African American average obesity rates and life expectancies and you'll see what I mean. They definitely do NOT "better our numbers" when it comes to weight OR life expectancy.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'm sure you're correct. Here is an intersting map of the USA.

Interactive: Adult Obesity in the United States, 1990-2012: F as in Fat
And that map actually proves my point. The states and regions with the highest rates of obesity also often have the highest percentage of minorities. But we're not talking about just weight, we're also talking about life expectancies - or I was, anyway. Google that for African Americans and Hispanics in the US and you'll see a HUGE difference between those two categories and white, non Hispanics.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I think I posted a map white non-hispanic obesity rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wasn't talking about IMMIGRANTS. I was talking about MINORITIES. There's definitely a difference between the two terms. Look up white, non Hispanic and African American average obesity rates and life expectancies and you'll see what I mean. They definitely do NOT "better our numbers" when it comes to weight OR life expectancy.
It's likely immigrants make NYC's obesity rate somewhat lower, however.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And that map actually proves my point. The states and regions with the highest rates of obesity also often have the highest percentage of minorities.
Not quite. If you click through the years, you'll see that CA until very recently has had less obesity than most other states. But CA has always had more Hispanics, and a fair number of African Americans, too. Not to mention Asian Americans, but they don't tend to be obese. I think your theory is plausible, but I also think that the problem is due in part to a sudden increase in obesity among the White majority, too. It's complex, demographically.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not quite. If you click through the years, you'll see that CA until very recently has had less obesity than most other states. But CA has always had more Hispanics, and a fair number of African Americans, too. Not to mention Asian Americans, but they don't tend to be obese. I think your theory is plausible, but I also think that the problem is due in part to a sudden increase in obesity among the White majority, too. It's complex, demographically.
That's why I said "often," not "always." There are exceptions but there's enough of an overlap to be pretty striking.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think I posted a map white non-hispanic obesity rates.
Here it is. There is also a regional difference in black obesity rates as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Race and state breakdown is here:

RWJF DataHub - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

The non-hispanic white obesity rate is still higher in much of the south and middle of the country, but the difference isn't as huge as the total rate. Even looking at non-hispanic white obesity rates in the slimmer states (New York, California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Vermont, etc.) around 22%, most would be higher than most European countries. Only the UK and Ireland would be significantly higher

Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM

228 posts, read 367,586 times
You obviously haven't been in many dull places in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe