Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Algavre in Portugal..how popular? How many on this forum have been there? What would you compare it to?

I get the impression that Croatia, Greece, Italy, Spain are all more popular than this coastline of Portugal. But, it sounds a bit expensive, and gorgeous.

Is it just a bit too far, and not worth the higher price tag in comparison to other coastal areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Algarve in Portugal..how popular? How many on this forum have been there? What would you compare it to?

I get the impression that Croatia, Greece, Italy, Spain are all more popular than this coastline of Portugal. But, it sounds a bit expensive, and gorgeous.

Is it just a bit too far, and not worth the higher price tag in comparison to other coastal areas?
Maybe kevxu will see this thread and provide a comprehensive response.

I visited Algarve a few times. My lasting impressions are that it is very pleasant in winter time, especially the coast with southern exposure; Faro and westwards appeared widely commercial, including golf courses, reminded me more of coastal Florida than, say, coastal Italy; east of Faro is less developed, more wild and natural, especially the interior, even haunting, very beautiful, and not deprived of some subtle, very tiny historical archaeological sites.

I suppose that around Faro and the more commercially developed parts the price tag is high, but not necessarily the east and the interior. At any rate, I am not at a stage where I make Mediterranean-wide price comparisons right now (there was a time when I did).

Nonetheless, generally speaking, is it worth it?

I suppose it depends on how much you value Portuguese culture and the region's relative warmth, water, isolation and safety, especially in comparison to the southern and eastern Mediterranean which, always sketchy, even in the last few weeks has become increasingly dangerous. Another factor is Portugal's relative taxation compared to countries like France lately. With all those factors in mind, again, you could also compare it to much of coastal Florida.

How much do you value Portuguese culture, then?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:54 AM

560 posts, read 599,171 times
Algarve is awesome if you stay away from the concrete, too developed without a plan areas that took place in the 70's and 80's.

Fortunately nowadays there's still development but with much higher regard with the environment and with great care making the development areas part of the setting.

The most developed areas are Faro and of course the area of Vilamoura and Albufeira. I prefer the more typical and wild areas, where you have still many many picturesque fishing towns with great food, beaches and laid back lifestyle.

The coast like on the east is more "flat", with just dunes and a long stretch of sand with the ocasional Wildlife Reservers.

Like this:

https://www.google.pt/search?q=tavir...rmosa&tbm=isch

To the west the coast line in my opinion is more beautiful with cliffs, caves and so on... like this:

https://www.google.pt/search?q=tavir...tugal&tbm=isch

Not to be forgotten the Costa Vicentina as well, which is the west coast line that stretches all the way from Comporta to the tip of Sagres in Algarve which is amazingly beautiful as well.

http://youtu.be/378VE1BxOrs

Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Maybe kevxu will see this thread and provide a comprehensive response.

I visited Algarve a few times. My lasting impressions are that it is very pleasant in winter time, especially the coast with southern exposure; Faro and westwards appeared widely commercial, including golf courses, reminded me more of coastal Florida than, say, coastal Italy; east of Faro is less developed, more wild and natural, especially the interior, even haunting, very beautiful, and not deprived of some subtle, very tiny historical archaeological sites.

I suppose that around Faro and the more commercially developed parts the price tag is high, but not necessarily the east and the interior. At any rate, I am not at a stage where I make Mediterranean-wide price comparisons right now (there was a time when I did).

Nonetheless, generally speaking, is it worth it?

I suppose it depends on how much you value Portuguese culture and the region's relative warmth, water, isolation and safety, especially in comparison to the southern and eastern Mediterranean which, always sketchy, even in the last few weeks has become increasingly dangerous. Another factor is Portugal's relative taxation compared to countries like France lately. With all those factors in mind, again, you could also compare it to much of coastal Florida.

How much do you value Portuguese culture, then?
For me, I highly value Portuguese culture. Well, actually, I like Brazilian culture and the Portuguese-speaking world because of it.

One thing though, how paved/developed is Algavre? Do they have many nice walkable towns that are right on the beach? It seems as the cities are a little inland, the the beaches require cars to get to? Or am I wrong about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe