Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

UK and Germany, perhaps, but generally they have better taste, and would not wear clothes right out of dryer, with stains or holes, T-Shirts with silly prints, or flip-flops to go shopping or to restaurants. Casual doesn't mean sloppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,523 times
I can spot an American like a flie in buttermilk.
Americans, at least wealthy ones that come in cruises, dress in high quality casual clothes.
Germans and English usually wear corny pastel-shaded clothing, "Carrefour clothing", awful shoes and in general, corny or just non-descript clothes, of course, not all.
Some do dress like people from former East Germany, with clothing from some Worker's paradise.
But they dress better than British, that's for sure.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,395 times
I'm in my 5th country of a 6 country visit to Europe and so far i would say the French dress least like Americans and the Italians and Austrians dress the most similar. We haven't hit Germany yet.

No matter where we are people can tell we are American without us even opening our mouths though.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,284,169 times
United states of Germany.

Also, I think Italians tend to dress in a bit "shinier" (?) style than the french.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
No matter where we are people can tell we are American without us even opening our mouths though.
Some Americans are incredibly obvious. Particularly the Wal-Mart like fashions, and particularly with a certain subset of them.

But other Americans, its completely impossible. Actually I don't think I dress that exceptional, but I do live abroad, and I do not buy stuff at Wal-Mart. I routinely have people assume I must be European, before I open my mouth.

That being said, I'll see plenty of Europeans, who at first guess, I'd think would be Americans, based on their dress.

In short, I think, it's not always easy to see who is European and who is American. But, sometimes, with certain people, it is VERY clear. That Wal-Mart look is a clear one for Americans.

These days, I notice there is also a certain uniquely European characteristics of dressing, usually found among French or Latin, and that is the Scarf around the neck. Among, Scandinavians, sometimes the pastel shirts, shorts, with loafer shoes. But, that one can be found among a certain kind of American as well, at times.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Some Americans are incredibly obvious. Particularly the Wal-Mart like fashions, and particularly with a certain subset of them.

But other Americans, its completely impossible. Actually I don't think I dress that exceptional, but I do live abroad, and I do not buy stuff at Wal-Mart. I routinely have people assume I must be European, before I open my mouth.

That being said, I'll see plenty of Europeans, who at first guess, I'd think would be Americans, based on their dress.

In short, I think, it's not always easy to see who is European and who is American. But, sometimes, with certain people, it is VERY clear. That Wal-Mart look is a clear one for Americans.

For some Americans anyway. I'd say the only place in Europe where you find people with a "People of Wal-Mart"-style look in appreciable numbers is the UK.

Many Germans also dress "comfortably" in "soft" clothes, which also make the style there similar to what you see in the U.S.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In which case they are dressing like the French who invented them, why oh why do so many Americans seem to assume that they invented everything! If people wear certain things then it must be because of Americans, if people eat certain things it must be because of Americans, if people speak ENGLISH it must be because of Americans, people drive cars, watch TV and use the telephone because of Americans lol. What do you think people would be wearing if there was no US? Sack cloths? Powdered wigs? What people wear in the 21st Century is the result of 'globalisation' not 'Americanisation' and that includes what people wear and do and how they speak in the US too.
Oooh, nice rant.

I assume you're making a distinction (I'd call it splitting hairs) between riveted blue jeans and pants made out of denim.

Blue jean material debuted in Genoa before Levi Strauss was even born, but was more similar to corderoy than the denim we're accustomed to today. Around this time, a similar fabric showed up in Nimes, France and was called "denim."

Denim and jean were both used for work clothes in France, but the blue jean work pants now known as "jeans", with their distinctive riveting were developed and patented by Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Denim and jean were both used for work clothes in France, but the blue jean work pants now known as "jeans", with their distinctive riveting were developed and patented by Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis.
Doesn't surprise me, you always were good at copying and patenting things others developed. That's how your companies like Google or Apple even make their money today.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Doesn't surprise me, you always were good at copying and patenting things others developed. That's how your companies like Google or Apple even make their money today.
Sorry - I haven't gotten anything patented and I don't own any shares in Google or Apple.

Oh, you mean AMERICANS. Well, all I can say is y'all better "get crackin'."

Urban Dictionary: get cracking

Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oooh, nice rant.

I assume you're making a distinction (I'd call it splitting hairs) between riveted blue jeans and pants made out of denim.

Blue jean material debuted in Genoa before Levi Strauss was even born, but was more similar to corderoy than the denim we're accustomed to today. Around this time, a similar fabric showed up in Nimes, France and was called "denim."

Nevertheless Americans wouldn't dress as they do without influence from all over the world and Europeans wouldn't dress the way they do without influence from the rest of the world (including the US). I suggest that peoples 'attire' would be pretty much identical as it is today with or without the USA. Of course the 'distinctive riveting' patented by Levi Strauss could possibly be something that people wouldn't be wearing now without it being developed in the US but clothes and the materials they're made from are influenced by more than just one nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe