Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
So what?
I don't think the Swedes would mind if it were Norwegians, Danes, Germans, and Finns moving. But since it's Muslims and Eastern Europeans, they don't like it.
keep rolling your eyes and pretending there aren't long term implications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:40 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Poor Sweden oh god all the weird people are coming! Oh no!!

You sound very xenophobic...
and the #1 boys name in England is ..............??

you're not far behind.

keep pretending there aren't long term implications

PS: in 2002, that name was 61st most popular in England

Old 09-19-2014, 09:04 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post

you're not far behind.

The difference is that it's a lot easier for foreigner immigrants to get jobs in England. Even if they don't speak the language that well. In Sweden, it's impossible, except for the occasional very menial job, if that.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
They own their houses. Utilities are very cheap, cheaper than in America. And yes, they can get subsidies.
A couple of my friends there from my student days are very close to retirement, and they rent. Not everyone's in a position to buy a home during their working years.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post

you're not far behind.

What is the most popular boys name in england? Ahmed, Mohammed, John??

I honestly don't care...

Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What is the most popular boys name in england? Ahmed, Mohammed, John??

I honestly don't care...
Suleyman.

Britains Got Talent - Michael Jackson (Suleman Mirza AUDITION -FULL JOURNEY) pt 1 - YouTube

Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
But because of the immigration surge it is almost impossible to get a cheap apartment in the cities.
I wouldn´t blame that on immigrants. They have no place in a gentrified society.
Plus no one builds cheap rental apartments anymore.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:03 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I wouldn´t blame that on immigrants. They have no place in a gentrified society.
Plus no one builds cheap rental apartments anymore.
You are right, the main blame should be on Swedish rent policies. You wont find the same problem in oslo despite high immigration.

But what I am saying is that immigration has made the situation unbearable in Sweden. Rent control and immigration is a bad mix.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Start to make 8-12 kids, lot of fun for dark nights

Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
In Sweden they do.

According to this article a single mother with two children will recieve $3000 per month in welfare and that is after tax. Försäkringskassan: Invandrarnas bidrag är "22 249 kr per månad och detta är inte skattepliktig inkomst" | Fria Tider
An ordinary Swede will not be able to get get anywhere close to that amount. In fact a lot of retired people live on less than $1500 per month. In fact low wage workers only earn $2000 per month after tax.
It works quite similarly here too. Probably one of the reasons why some people have the perception that "immigrants live like kings on welfare", is that they have families with a lot more kids than the average native and actually receive a ton of benefits. Which would be similarly available to the natives too, if they had like, say.. 7 kids, which they often times don't. Working a honest but low-to-average paying job many times does not make financial sense from the individuals standpoint in the nordic model.

I find it very disturbing if the talks about SD:s or their supporters actually getting "shut off" from the society are true. Not exactly a sign of an open, forward-thinking, modern democratic society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe