Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times

Advertisements

We all know that Switzerland is the largest exporter of watches interms of export amount of over $20B for ~30 million export of high-end watches in a year.

But since smartwatches are now emerging and very affordable, I'm pretty sure there is a large market of this device esp for the hipsters. Question are, will the smartwatch will be the future watch? Despite of these future smartwatches, will the market for high-end watches will remain or decrease? If the latter, what will be is the impact to Switzerland economy?

On a lighter note, how do you find the smartwatch? Care to share your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 PM

202 posts, read 224,625 times
If they decide to use Andorid as an OS it's dead end. If they develope its own closed system like Apple iOS it may work well.
I can't imagine buying expensive watches running very low-end Android.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,188 times
People don't buy high-end watches because of utility. After all, any information they can get from a watch they can get from their phones just as quickly (particularly since most people are staring at their phones anyway).
High-end watches are about 1. status and 2. complication of the mechanism.
No, I highly doubt they will be replaced by the Apple/Android watches anytime soon.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM

141 posts, read 205,670 times
I have a Pebble smartwatch and have been kind of disappointed. The only really useful things are the phone call and text message notifications. It tends to disconnect from the phone, though, so it stops updating without warning. I have to charge it once every four days or so, and the charging cable is a train wreck. Half the time it doesn't plug into the phone properly (it attaches with a very weak magnet), and there's no indicator whether it's charging or not.

I had hoped I would be able to use the watch as a interval timer for working out at the gym, but my old Timex Ironman has a better timer than any of the apps on the Pebble.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Swiss watches are about mechanical precision, really the opposite of a Smartwatch.

I spent 2 weeks setting up a computer network in the Wiesbaden Germany office of Audemars Piguet and got a look into Swiss watchmaking, For some of there most expensive watches (€250,0000 and up) a watchmaker worked on 1 watch only for 6 months or longer. Every bit hand made, there normal watches start around €25,000 or so and up and are also completly hand made- every part. The watch makers were really cool, fixed my dads old watch for me for free even fabricating a little spring,

Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
I have a wrist watch that cost me 5 euros and still work. I need it just to see the time. that is all I know about watches. By the way it is swatch.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM

564 posts, read 747,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
People don't buy high-end watches because of utility. After all, any information they can get from a watch they can get from their phones just as quickly (particularly since most people are staring at their phones anyway).
High-end watches are about 1. status and 2. complication of the mechanism.
No, I highly doubt they will be replaced by the Apple/Android watches anytime soon.
This. No one is buying a 5, 10 or 20 thousand euro watch because they need to tell the time.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:34 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
I'm not so sure smartwatches will even take off all the way. I kind of figure it will go the way of bluetooth headsets and only rich old guys will use them. It's just a slightly douchey concept.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
I have a wrist watch that cost me 5 euros and still work. I need it just to see the time. that is all I know about watches. By the way it is swatch.

I'm also a fan of SWATCH. And I think SWATCH can pull up a good smartwatch to compete with others esp Apple and Samsung. All they need to tie up with good electronic company.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I'm also a fan of SWATCH. And I think SWATCH can pull up a good smartwatch to compete with others esp Apple and Samsung. All they need to tie up with good electronic company.
They *may*, but then again, it will be more of novelty/jewelry kind of thing, that you more *wear for looks* than for telling time.
Example, I had a SWATCH that had a complete black face with black numerals and black hands.
It was a novelty, because there was no way to just glance at it and find out what time it was.
What it really was good at, was to be a *conversation piece* ...
No idea where that watch is today in my *stuff* ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe