Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 06:12 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't see any redheads in that picture. Most of them have light brown hair which is the most common colour.
Yes not pure redhair, but some have light reddish-brown hues. I often see that in Irish people.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Lol of course not - he is not a football player but a singer, a "pretty boy."
However make no mistake - the angles are still there))))

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SMfWGsJDosU/maxresdefault.jpg

So the point being - if you have a group of people that have angular faces, build angular houses and speak angular language - wait for trouble. It's only natural I suppose)))
Your sense of humor is more Americanized than Russian.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Note to myself regarding your picture; and not a single person in sight that Saxonwold posted, with that type of "Southern" angularity.
Yet the child that was with him is quite similar to the one present here.
It is not a Southern angularity. It is a North-Western European phenotype not common elsewhere.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Your sense of humor is more Americanized than Russian.
Oh boy...
American sense of humor is modified version of British humor ( as actually many other things in the US.)
But since you are not familiar with Russian sense of humor - this is what I am trying to explain that Russian sense of humor is not all that different from British sense of humor, or rather certain part of it.
For example I don't understand all that much "Monty Python" - may be because it makes too many referrals unfamiliar to me. But I do understand Benny Hills - it does not require too much explanations.
So it's more or less the same with Russians - they have tonnes of fun stuff, in spite of their reputation of being stern people. Some of it is easy to understand, some is not, because of language difference and their own cultural referrals, but the basis is the same, so I can easily switch between THAT and American sense of humor, since obviously I can culturally relate to both places.
And all that "Saturday Night" stuff and "Mad TV" - I can laugh as much as I laugh at Russian skits/jokes, because they are equally funny and then some more.
This is just an example - an imprompty related to this particular program of Russian synchronized swimming team in Rio

https://www.facebook.com/rio2016ru/v...9/?pnref=story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sceu60teh8c

So it obviously does not require too much explanation, while this one "The adventures of Arabs in E.U" which is every bit as funny, requires knowledge of some references, because it's not only a matter of language, but a matter of knowledge what exactly they are referring to, while singing all these songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119N3Yp8a4o

It goes back to old classics of Soviet times, a cartoon with certain sheisty characters, who are about to rob the king, but instead of the usual refrain "oh-la-la, oh-la-la tomorrow we are going to rob the king," they go "oh-la-la, oh-la-la, tomorrow we are going to see Nicola" ( meaning Nicola Sarkozy, since they are heading to France.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjxhRdNBo4

When you watch Mad TV or Colbert Show for example, you need to know what ppl there are referring to as well, in order to know why it's funny.

So I can't say for sure that "my sense of humor" is "more Americanized" than being originally Russian.

(If I have time, I'll post more samples in the other thread, related to humor in different countries.)

Last edited by erasure; 08-30-2016 at 12:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 12:13 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
It is not a Southern angularity. It is a North-Western European phenotype not common elsewhere.
Oh well then more samples to studio please.
Because as I've said I didn't spot this type in Bernie's pictures.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
They were actually a compilation made by National Geographic so a completely unbiased representation. The gentleman that Saxonwold posted had very strong features so most probably represents some extreme. Most people's features are somewhat in the middle and this goes for all populations.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
They were actually a compilation made by National Geographic so a completely unbiased representation. The gentleman that Saxonwold posted had very strong features so most probably represents some extreme. Most people's features are somewhat in the middle and this goes for all populations.
Yes, I would say extreme or a distinct type of that country.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Oh boy...
American sense of humor is modified version of British humor ( as actually many other things in the US.)
But since you are not familiar with Russian sense of humor - this is what I am trying to explain that Russian sense of humor is not all that different from British sense of humor, or rather certain part of it.
For example I don't understand all that much "Monty Python" - may be because it makes too many referrals unfamiliar to me. But I do understand Benny Hills - it does not require too much explanations.
So it's more or less the same with Russians - they have tonnes of fun stuff, in spite of their reputation of being stern people. Some of it is easy to understand, some is not, because of language difference and their own cultural referrals, but the basis is the same, so I can easily switch between THAT and American sense of humor, since obviously I can culturally relate to both places.
And all that "Saturday Night" stuff and "Mad TV" - I can laugh as much as I laugh at Russian skits/jokes, because they are equally funny and then some more.
This is just an example - an imprompty related to this particular program of Russian synchronized swimming team in Rio

https://www.facebook.com/rio2016ru/v...9/?pnref=story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sceu60teh8c

So it obviously does not require too much explanation, while this one "The adventures of Arabs in E.U" which is every bit as funny, requires knowledge of some references, because it's not only a matter of language, but a matter of knowledge what exactly they are referring to, while singing all these songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119N3Yp8a4o

It goes back to old classics of Soviet times, a cartoon with certain sheisty characters, who are about to rob the king, but instead of the usual refrain "oh-la-la, oh-la-la tomorrow we are going to rob the king," they go "oh-la-la, oh-la-la, tomorrow we are going to see Nicola" ( meaning Nicola Sarkozy, since they are heading to France.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjxhRdNBo4

When you watch Mad TV or Colbert Show for example, you need to know what ppl there are referring to as well, in order to know why it's funny.

So I can't say for sure that "my sense of humor" is "more Americanized" than being originally Russian.

(If I have time, I'll post more samples in the other thread, related to humor in different countries.)
Pretty hilarious!!! Great!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Similar examples of "typical" or "extreme" (As Bernie20 referred to them) types.

Less extreme but still recognizable to well be of the same type:

Old 08-30-2016, 04:44 PM

Fair hair is common amongst ethnic Dutch people, become much more numerous or frequent in the northern provinces especially Groningen and Friesland. I can also attest that from my own family which has very close Dutch family links. That's true. However, there also "dark" types amongst Dutch people. It isn't as the Zektor/Juggernaut combo were saying.

This is what I could refer to as a stereotypical ethnic Dutch person, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, softer festures and fair-skinned (though most Dutch have brown hair and usually light eyes).

Mark van Bommel

Jan Smit, a Dutch artist.

Jurgen Smit (not related to Jan Smit at all)

Last edited by saxonwold; 08-30-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe