Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 08:42 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

As quoted by Bernie20:"Anthropology was used in the past to try and explain human populations. It however does not trump genetics. Genetics is solving all the questions about populations and their ancient connections. As is evidenced by this thread some people associate dark hair and eyes with being Southern European and blue eyes and blond hair with Germanics."

A bunch of people still linked Europeans with blonde hair, blue eyes with Germanics, this is incorrect. Yes, there are plenty of ethnic Europeans who are of the Germanic group (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, English, German, etc...) who have those characteristics, however, the frequency is more linked to a geographic location than linguistical group. Other Northern European groups also have a fair amount of these characteristics too.

This ethnic Dutch man with dark hair and dark eyes

is no "less Dutch" than the ethnic Dutch man who is blond-haired and blue-eyed.

They are both part of Germanic folk or people. The ethnic Dutch do have a higher frequency of fair hair, light eyes comparatively to Southern European groups but this does not exclude that dark hair or dark eyes or a combination of both are found in their own populations without any recent mixture. Some have even gone to blame Indonesians for that. What garbage?

Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Unfortunately, I am going to have to let you know that you are wrong again! White Americans as a whole show a much greater diversity than individual European countries due to the fact that all these European nations migrated at times on a large scale to America and intermingled at a much faster rate in a shorter period of time. Though some groups have been more dominant in the past. This has nothing to do with your illusion of pure breeds. Nobody is talking about pure breeds anyway, but yourself. If someone has blonde or fair hair, that doesn't make them any more pure than a brown or dark-haired person. You seem to harbor a hidden complex of inferiority or show signs of uneasiness when people talk about blonde/red-haired people presence in Northern Europe. This is why you usually align yourself with crazy theories of the likes of Zektor, Traveller86, Don Caballero, Juggernaut, etc... then change your position, when they say that " British women are ugly" and so on. The reason why there is a frequency of lighter-pigmented ( hair, eyes, skin) people in Northern Europe is mostly linked to the climate, it is the result of the adaptation that the ancestors of Northern Europeans had to endure. If a person whose origins are from Northern Europe ( British/Scandinavian, etc...) has very dark hair for example, this doesn't make him any " less pure" than his blond counterpart.
What a complete load of bollox. Like I've asked countless times if most British people are fair and pale why is this not the case with the thousands of people I mingle with every day? I know SOME people that are fair skinned, I know SOME people that are dark skinned, I know that a vast majority are a match to the vast majority of the rest of Europe, I have also asked you why I am not ginger, blond or fair skinned when I am just as ethnically 'British' as anybody else I know, you haven't answered.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What a complete load of bollox. Like I've asked countless times if most British people are fair and pale why is this not the case with the thousands of people I mingle with every day? I know SOME people that are fair skinned, I know SOME people that are dark skinned, I know that a vast majority are a match to the vast majority of the rest of Europe, I have also asked you why I am not ginger, blond or fair skinned when I am just as ethnically 'British' as anybody else I know, you haven't answered.
You are not blonde/ginger or fair-skinned because of your genes, be content about the way you are! Stop being a Hooligan, when people are discussing blondeness and redheadedness in Europe. Are you jealous? There are blonde, ginger, brunet ethnic Britons like Prince Charles, Cameron (ex prime minister), Prince William, Catherine Zeta Jones, Daniel Craig, Wayne Rooney, Hugh Grant, Bobby Moore(ex- football player), John Wilkinson(ex English rugby player), Will Hughes(soccer player), Jeremy Cumberbatch, Theresa May(new prime minister), Margaret Thatcher, Daniel Radcliffe, Prince Harry, Rowan Atkinson, Gemma Atkinson, Stephen Hawking etc... are fair-skinned people. You are perhaps darker than all the people that I mentioned according to your lamenting,. Remember most doesn't mean all, .

Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 29,054 times
British people are very pale, but it's more to do with the fact that nobody really goes outside here all that much and there's not much sun either.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM

LonglivetoEarth has just become a liar. He says he's Dutch, O.K. fair enough.

Nevertheless the claims that Dutch artist Jan Smit of being Indonesian are not credible. Yes, Jan Smit is most likely just a dark-haired Dutchman.

Here he is with his sisters, I guess they are not Indonesian, because they are lighter-haired than him? Right LonglivetoEarth?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askaris View Post
British people are very pale, but it's more to do with the fact that nobody really goes outside here all that much and there's not much sun either.
Well according to geneticists of the ScottishDNA project, the pale skin is linked to the adaptation of climate in that part of Europe where the sun doesn't shine much. So a pale skin was beneficiary in the primitive times to compensate for a quick absorption of Vitamin D which is essential for our health.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 AM

28 posts, read 29,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Well according to geneticists of the ScottishDNA project, the pale skin is linked to the adaptation of climate in that part of Europe where the sun doesn't shine much. So a pale skin was beneficiary in the primitive times to compensate for a quick absorption of Vitamin D which is essential for our health.
True, but let me tell you something, I'm an immigrant in the UK, from Lithuania. In Lithuania I used to be more tanned and all that, now I look like paper. So I think other than genetics the more "closed" lifestyle here definitely contributes to the paleness.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
True, but let me tell you something, I'm an immigrant in the UK, from Lithuania. In Lithuania I used to be more tanned and all that, now I look like paper. So I think other than genetics the more "closed" lifestyle here definitely contributes to the paleness.
Remember genetics are far above lifestyles. Less sunshine has favoured over time in Europe for a genetical selection of a lighter skin tone, that is why there are more genes for light to pale skin amongst Europeans than others. Remember our bodies always try to adjust to our surroundings, however it takes time, generations for that to be encoded genetically. Your example is not in context with what I was implying. You just have a skin phototype III, which is very common amongst Europeans or people known as Whites.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,036 times
Quote:
This thread has had 65000 views and almost 900 posts. Congratulations to the viewers and posters. I have read only the first and last posts. Do we now know conclusively which European country has the most blond people?:confused

Thank you.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:28 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
This thread has had 65000 views and almost 900 posts. Congratulations to the viewers and posters. I have read only the first and last posts. Do we now know conclusively which European country has the most blond people?:confused

Thank you.

Yes we do.
And if you are blond, stay out of the way pls. because we know better what blonds look like and where they all live.

Last edited by erasure; 09-02-2016 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe