Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 11:34 AM

993 posts, read 1,932,618 times

Advertisements

Not anywhere near that size, but Lillehammer, Norway

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,857,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Sheffield - a city 'built on seven hills'. Like Pittsburgh, it has a history of steel making, and they share the same nickname - the Steel City. Metro population 1.6 million.
Good call! I know Sheffield because one of my best friends lives in nearby Barnsley.

I once asked some European friends what city in Europe was most like my city of Philadelphia (post industrial, working class, and yet historic, cultural and full of fine architecture)? The answer: Glasgow!!!

Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,398,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I once asked some European friends what city in Europe was most like my city of Philadelphia (post industrial, working class, and yet historic, cultural and full of fine architecture)? The answer: Glasgow!!!
Good call, that.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:53 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,092,261 times
I'm trying to see if any Polish cities fit that mold. Pittsburgh does have some Eastern European influence.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:57 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,398,756 times
Pittsburgh has quite a lot of people of Polish extraction, but I fail to see how that is supposed to affect the architecture or the general look of the city. By that same token Atlanta should look like Africa.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:41 PM

149 posts, read 311,483 times
I think Pittsburgh is somehow unique and you won't find many comparable European cities because Europe is generally quite flat (compared to Appalachia, that is). But if I had to pick one I'd choose Ostrava - just as Pittsburgh it is a steel city and it is located in Silesian Beskid mountains. My hometown - Rybnik - is also quite hilly and a coal-mining center but it is much smaller (circa 0.5 million in metropolitan area).

Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Pittsburgh has quite a lot of people of Polish extraction, but I fail to see how that is supposed to affect the architecture or the general look of the city. By that same token Atlanta should look like Africa.
I'm not talking about the look of the architecture. I'm talking about the culture. And I don't expect Atlanta to be that much like Africa at all.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyy View Post
I think Pittsburgh is somehow unique and you won't find many comparable European cities because Europe is generally quite flat (compared to Appalachia, that is). But if I had to pick one I'd choose Ostrava - just as Pittsburgh it is a steel city and it is located in Silesian Beskid mountains. My hometown - Rybnik - is also quite hilly and a coal-mining center but it is much smaller (circa 0.5 million in metropolitan area).
Considering what you have said, Katowice would be an even better choice. That is a city that grew because of steel. It is located around a mountain range, near reserves of coal, and has transitioned into a services/white collar economy.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,104,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Considering what you have said, Katowice would be an even better choice. That is a city that grew because of steel. It is located around a mountain range, near reserves of coal, and has transitioned into a services/white collar economy.
I think Katowice may be too flat. If you've been to Pittsburgh you know the difference between a city that has been built around hills (there are thousands of such cities) and a city where hills are an integral part of the identity of the city (such as Pittsburgh, parts of SF, parts of Seattle, and by the looks of this thread, Sheffield, Sarajevo, Liège).

Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think Katowice may be too flat. If you've been to Pittsburgh you know the difference between a city that has been built around hills (there are thousands of such cities) and a city where hills are an integral part of the identity of the city (such as Pittsburgh, parts of SF, parts of Seattle, and by the looks of this thread, Sheffield, Sarajevo, Liège).
And Bergen, Norway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe