Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Exaggerating much?

In normal winter temperatures that we have during daytime, around 0 to -5C, you hardly need "15 layers", but normal clothes, a proper winter jacket, a scarf, cap and gloves. Hardly takes 10 minutes to undress.
You don't defrost the car. If you don't have a garage, it takes a couple of minutes to scrape the windows.
If you want to have a lunchtime coffee, go ahead, but I don't see any delight in having it outside in a windy moist rainy dark 6C UK-winter, with windchills that feels like 0C. Red and blotchy skin is due to poor clothing, because I don't experience it. Wind causes the eyes to stream, not the cold. Streets are plowed and sanded, so with proper shoes you don't slip.

Advantages are the overall aesthetic of the landscape, and if it's a longer freeze, it is not moist and wet, but dry. I rather have a proper snowy winter than a 4-month November.

Looks like you hate cold because you have never learned to cope with it.
Ah the ole stereotype - its not always 'windy moist rainy' here you know! Dark yes (but still with longer daylight hours than a lot of Europe. It doesn't matter if it takes 'a couple of minutes' or not to scrape away at your windows its still 'a couple of minutes' which is saved in a warm climate, the fact that the streets have to be 'ploughed and sanded' is another reason to dislike the cold. I have been in Zagreb in winter time - it was below freezing for the whole 2 weeks of my first visit and it was uncomfortably cold, I was taken to see the 'sights' but had to wear 2 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of socks, vests, T-shirts, Jumper, scarf and coat as well as two pairs of gloves and a 'beany' hat but still we could only stay out for 30 minutes or so. The streets were deserted because of the cold. The next time I visited (in June) it was 30 degrees or so and we sat out with crowds, had coffee, watched street entertainers shopped and generally had very pleasant days out not just in the city but in the surrounding countryside - the reason for the difference was simply the weather. Apart from winter sports I cant see any advantage to sub-freezing weather over warm weather at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
Blazing: +43C
Very hot: 35-43C
Hot: 29-35C
Warm:25-29C

Mild: 20-25C
Cool: 14-20C
Cold: 8-14C
Very cold: 4-8C
Freezing: 0-4C
Deadly: 0 to -20C
Unliveable: Below -20C

Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
which format is more commonly used globally , the answer is celsius
Uh okay? i was just sharing why (someone who is used to Fahrenheit) finds it confusing when people use Celsius.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Apart from winter sports I cant see any advantage to sub-freezing weather over warm weather at all?
Our winters are not even remotely warm, so any advantage we have over colder climates is minute - and these colder climates have the benefit of significantly warmer, sunnier summers - which we do not. So all in all, a continental climate is always preferable to an oceanic climate.

Plus, we have seen what mild and snowless winters can yield - last winter was exceedingly mild and snowless, but also wet - very wet even - with widespread flooding and damage to property. I think snow - a minor inconvenience to your morning commute - is preferable to irreversible water damage and thousands of pounds worth of repairs.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:27 PM

300 posts, read 374,742 times
Anything about 20C is too hot for me. I prefer the cold.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
while i dont care for really hot weather , i think a warm climate is priceless . i dont live in a country with one

california , much of australia , spain , portugal , those are my ideal
Bare in mind, in California, this idea climate is restricted to a narrow band of about 10 miles of the ocean. Once passed that, the temperatures in summer average over 30 celcius. Many areas over 35C. There's a thread in the CA forum talking about this.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Uh okay? i was just sharing why (someone who is used to Fahrenheit) finds it confusing when people use Celsius.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...o%20fahrenheit

Old 10-01-2014, 02:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Our winters are not even remotely warm, so any advantage we have over colder climates is minute - and these colder climates have the benefit of significantly warmer, sunnier summers - which we do not. So all in all, a continental climate is always preferable to an oceanic climate.

Plus, we have seen what mild and snowless winters can yield - last winter was exceedingly mild and snowless, but also wet - very wet even - with widespread flooding and damage to property. I think snow - a minor inconvenience to your morning commute - is preferable to irreversible water damage and thousands of pounds worth of repairs.
Tell me about it! However they are significantly more comfortable than most of the rest of Northern Europe, I don't like 8 degrees C (about the average winter temperature where I live) but I dislike -5 degrees C even more! At least when its 8 degrees there is no defrosting of everything outside (including yourself). Also I think you will find that the 'colder climates' as you put it do not have 'significantly' warmer sunnier summers than I have here in West Sussex. I am not saying the weather where I live is 'great' like I've mentioned for me I would want to live in the Med for the weather, however I can't see any advantage of a winter time sub zero climate over the mild weather we have here. Also mild snowless winters (common in West Sussex) don't usually mean constant rain.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Tell me about it! However they are significantly more comfortable than most of the rest of Northern Europe, I don't like 8 degrees C (about the average winter temperature where I live) but I dislike -5 degrees C even more! At least when its 8 degrees there is no defrosting of everything outside (including yourself). Also I think you will find that the 'colder climates' as you put it do not have 'significantly' warmer sunnier summers than I have here in West Sussex. I am not saying the weather where I live is 'great' like I've mentioned for me I would want to live in the Med for the weather, however I can't see any advantage of a winter time sub zero climate over the mild weather we have here. Also mild snowless winters (common in West Sussex) don't usually mean constant rain.
All in all, I just despise the wetness of a 0-6° winter. Given the right clothes you can't even feel the difference between 0-6° and -5°. Snowflakes (at the right temperature) tend to just bounce of your jacket, whereas rain soaks through it.

But hey, in the end it's just something you get used to.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Default true enough

Quote:
In fact, there are regularly floods in Eastern Germany, considered (compared to England) a continental or semi-continental climate. And the summers in centrl/northern central Europe are only marginally warmer than in England (with a lot of rain sometimes , I experienced that a few summers long in southern Germany)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe