Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:01 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Of course there is such thing. It's not like everyone is capable of learning foreign language later on in life, not since early childhood.

But I'm sure they are immersed into it since their early childhood? Both are quite "intertwined" in the society; both of "Northern" descent - aren't they?
But Russians and Estonians - not so much. Hence - no immersion from the early age on.
Swedish and Finnish are not of the same descent, not even close. Swedish is Indo-European like English, Spanish and Russian, while Finnish is Uralic like Estonian, Hungarian and Khanty.

To put it short, the Swedish language and the Finnish language are not related.

During the first half of the Russian-owned Grand Duchy of Finland (1809-1917), which was self-ruling and largely like a country of its own even though a part of Russia, Swedish, which even back then was a small minority, was the language of the ruling elite, the "master race" so to say, and at the time Swedish was the only official language of the Grand Duchy of Finland.

It was only later in the 19th century that Finnish nationalism was invented and the use of Finnish language became more and more accepted, and eventually became an official language along with Swedish. Finnish became a national language after hundreds of years of just being an unrecognised language for underclass common people. The rise of the Finnish language and culture contributed alot to the Finnish independence. If it wasn't for that, Finland could as well be some odd Swedish/Finnish-speaking Russian republic or oblast today.

Yes, today the Finnish language is immersed into them since early childhood, but that was not the case during the first years of the independent Republic of Finland when there probably was many adult Swedish-speakers who did not know Finnish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
"Mandatory" as in what, Magnus?
Do they have to pass the test in order to confirm the citizenship?
Mandatory as in not optional in school. I am not sure how it is with immigrants.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Swedish and Finnish are not of the same descent, not even close. Swedish is Indo-European like English, Spanish and Russian, while Finnish is Uralic like Estonian, Hungarian and Khanty.

To put it short, the Swedish language and the Finnish language are not related.
Oh I know that much - I meant "people" of course, not languages - sorry for confusion.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Mandatory as in not optional in school. I am not sure how it is with immigrants.
What does it mean I'm sorry again - "not optional" is what? You have to study Swedish in school? ( Or Finnish) as foreign language? From what grade on and for how long?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Oh I know that much - I meant "people" of course, not languages - sorry for confusion.
The Finns were originally from Ural but has interbreeded so much with Germanic Scandinavians that you hardly can't see any difference today. So they are not of the same descent originally, but has rather become through mixing with Germanic Scandianvians. But just cause they look the almost same and has the same culture as other Scandinavians, it does not make the language easier. Its just as hard for a Swede to learn Finnish as it is for a Russian to learn Estonian.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:14 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
I would assume that the school system in Finland ensures that all kids who go through it have knowledge of the national language. Even those kids who go to the Swedish minority's school.

This was obviously not something that was done in Russian schools under the Soviet system in Latvia and Estonia.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
What does it mean I'm sorry again - "not optional" is what? You have to study Swedish in school? ( Or Finnish) as foreign language? From what grade on and for how long?
Yes, you have to study Swedish in school and its not optional, unlike languages like German and French which is optional. Its grades 7 to 9. It even has its own wikipedia page, its a touchy subject. The reason why its mandatory taught is cause Swedish is an official languge in Finland.

Mandatory Swedish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, you have to study Swedish in school and its not optional, unlike languages like German and French which is optional. Its grades 7 to 9. It even has its own wikipedia page, its a touchy subject. The reason why its mandatory taught is cause Swedish is an official languge in Finland.

Mandatory Swedish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know it's a "touchy subject" so I'd rather not get into it.
So likewise Russian and Estonian languages are a "touchy subject" even though it might seem for a different reason.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would assume that the school system in Finland ensures that all kids who go through it have knowledge of the national language. Even those kids who go to the Swedish minority's school.

This was obviously not something that was done in Russian schools under the Soviet system in Latvia and Estonia.
What do you mean in "Russian schools?"
As far as I remember, in all Soviet Republics there were two "sectors" of public schools; there were schools where all the subjects were taught in the native tongues and they were schools where all the subjects were taught in Russian. It was parent's choice what type of school they wanted to place their children in.
Now whether those schools were of equal quality - that might be a different question.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Uh-huh.

The idea that Russian speakers don't want to learn Latvian or Estonian because it is of no value is ridiculous. Most of us live 99% of our lives in our local communities. There is no more useful language to learn if you intend to continue to live in a particular place than the language of that place if you don't already speak it. Are all of these people planning careers in international banking and therefore learning English instead?

What second language are most of these people learning if they are not learning Latvian or Estonian? Probably none.
But that is the attitude. You "heard" it from a Russian right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe