Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:09 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,160 times

Advertisements

Hard question, close to 50/50 I'd say, only a French could answer properly, and even then, the next French could have a very different opinions depending where they're from.
We should ask someone from Clemont Ferrand what they think.

Also, since when is France northern Europe?
Mainland France goes from 42 to 50ºN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
Hard question, close to 50/50 I'd say, only a French could answer properly, and even then, the next French could have a very different opinions depending where they're from

ALlso, since when is France northern Europe?
Mainland France goes from 42 to 51ºN
51 degrees North!!!! Its nearer the pole than the equator! Pretty f*ck*ng North if you ask me!

Old 10-09-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
51 degrees North!!!! Its nearer the pole than the equator! Pretty f*ck*ng North if you ask me!
Well Italy also has areas closer to the north pole than to the equator, are they northern european as well?
And if we consider France northern Europe, what does that make of Spain? central Europe?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
Well Italy also has areas closer to the north pole than to the equator, are they northern european as well?
And if we consider France northern Europe, what does that make of Spain? central Europe?
I'll give you central Europe at best.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
The two northern thirds are central europe, while the southern third is southern europe +/-, that's my definition, but I can accept opinions claiming all of France as central European, as long as they consider northern Italy as well (although to me, it still seems strange to consider perpignan a central European city)

Old 10-09-2014, 04:31 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Germany is FAR more advanced than France, France is the least advanced of all Northern European countries, actually I would say its not like Germany or Spain.
Quote:
Quote:
Oh the ignorance.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Oh the ignorance.
Alright smart, I'm sure you would agree that the UK is North West Europe yes? Well if France is South West Europe then where exactly is Central West Europe? The Isle of Wight!!!?

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-10-2014 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
central west...germany..
central europe is a very old denomination refering to the austrohungarian empire...now used again as a totus revolutum to remove soviet stink out of many countries in the former austrohungarian empire.
France is not northern Europe...I.d say western Europe.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM

603 posts, read 1,630,749 times
France has much more in common with Germany than Spain.

France has more Atlantid, North Atlantid, Alpine, Faelid, Subnordid, Keltic Nordid, Dinarid and Norid.

Germany mostly similar to France except they have more Nordid, Borreby and East Baltid.

While Spain has Gracile Mediterranids, Berids, Berberids and Orientalids, sorry.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:52 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
France is western Europe. End of geographical debate. It's neither north nor south. Or it's both.

That said, I think France is unique such like any european country. Really, when you go north to south you can see a progression from a world to the other, and if you go from west to east, you feel the same way.

I grew up in Lyon, a lot of my family is from the occitan south, I was born in the north and live in Italy. Overall I feel Lyon is my home and in someways it has quite a central european feeling, but France is very varied and I have felt out of place in different areas, even areas where I had family, and felt at home in others.

I don't really know Spain, I know Germany a bit more, and while Spain is definitely the south for me, I liked what I see.

About Germany, I'd say that the parts close to France like Freiburg seemed like I could live there, but maybe Hamburg or Kiel would feel a bit more alien to me...

Now that I live in Northern Italy, I think it's quite similar to what I grew up with, and I feel more at home than I would feel in southern France even if it's my country.

All in all I feel a strong tie between central eastern France, southwestern Germany, Switzerland and Northern Italy.

Southwestern France is another world to me, and so is northern France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe