Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:09 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,823,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo vidal View Post

50% of Germans are Roman Chatolic (by including German minorities in Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, France, etc...)

Largest numbers of Spaniards is in Argertina. There are more Germans than Spaniards in France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_diaspora

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_people

I don't know what you mean by cold and organized, but by looking at your writing style, you sound like a hot tempered Iberian...
I am not from Spain, far from it in fact; I am just very direct so often people assume I am being defensive!

Germany is 50% catholic but it is not a latin-European nation like France, Portugal, Italy or Spain... Germany is Germanic.

The problem here lies in the fact that France is diverse enough and you cannot define it as if if was just black or white, there is too much diversity inside it to simplify it and water it down so that we can asnwer the question the thread creator asks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 AM

2,860 posts, read 5,233,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Alright smart, I'm sure you would agree that the UK is North West Europe yes? Well if France is South West Europe then where exactly is Central West Europe? The Isle of Wight!!!?
The latitude line of 50°N (about Luxemburg-Prague line) cut in two equal halfs Europe. This line is about the middle of mailand Europe. North of it is the northern half of Europe, south of it the southern part...

The concept of central-western Europe is not usually used. Central Europe is used but it refer to somthing else.
central Europe refers mainly to landlocked places that are "central" on a north-south axis, but also more specifically on a east-west axis. Also, culturally speaking, "central Europe" used to relates to places and countries linked with southern-German and Austrian culture and domination. In France only Alsace could be considered centralEurope.

If we want at all price to consider a concept of "central western Europe" this could relates to the northern third of France, wich lies lined west of central Europe (west of Alsace, southern Germany and Austria)

This area would stop further South of the Loire Valley and Burgundy ( along a Poitiers-Macon line, we enter in south-western part of Europe. Which correspond about to areas situated south of the Alpine chain that divide Italy (southern Europe) with central Europe (austria, Bavaria), along the latitude line of 47°N. About 55-60% of France is located further south than this limit...

That is to say that on north-south axis of Europe, France lies from central-western Europe (about northern Half of France) from south-wester Europe (southern half of the country), but in no way could be northern Europe (well, maybe nord-pas-de-Calais can be considered northern European, that's all) since its northernmost points are around only the 50°N..

Last edited by french user; 10-11-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 09:08 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,823,914 times
Geography does not have to divided into precise south, east, west, north

I'd say Europe could be divided into many forms

Northern Europe (Escandinavia plus finland and iceland)

Central Europe (Germany, hungary, czech republic, poland, austria)

Balkans (ex-yugoslavia, bulgaria, romania, greece, albania)

Southern Europe (greece, malta, italy, portugal, spain)

Baltic Europe (latvia, lithuania, estonia)

British isles (UK and ireland)

Western Europe (france, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Switzerland)

Eastern Europe (ukraine, moldova, belarus, european part of russia)

Old 10-11-2014, 09:55 AM

121 posts, read 386,471 times
The division between Germanic and Latin is only political and not ethnocultural. For example up to 60% of English words are of Romance origin.

English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other hand French is the least conservative and the most Celto Germanic influenced latin language.

The degrees of evolution of the Romance languages with respect to the ancestral Latin were found to be as follows.

Sardinian: 8%;
Italian: 12%;
Spanish: 20%;
Romanian: 23.5%;
Occitan: 25%;
Portuguese: 31%;
French: 44%.

Classification of Romance languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, almost half of the French language does not derive from latin, but rather from various Celto-Germanic borrowing. Any question?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:59 AM

606 posts, read 1,619,809 times
^^^Exactly Arturo Vidal, only if these people could grasp that their is a difference between language and origin.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I agree with you, I lived in France and Germany and they are VERY DIFFERENT.... the only region in france that bears some resemblance to Germany is Alsace!!!

Germany is definitely Germanic, organized, colder, more ruled, much more similar to the netherlands or the Flanders in Belgium....

the french are more chaotic, colorful.... plus they're historically vastly roman catholic and speak a latin language (I also think france has more in common with spain)

Also culturally they are more mixed with spaniards as you said france has the largest number of spaniards on the planet and spain also has a considerable number of french.
This colorful chaos seems to be a trait of the Romance cultures LOL. If France is like that then I would say it certainly wouldn't be like Germany, a country known for organized efficiency.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:14 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I am not from Spain, far from it in fact; I am just very direct so often people assume I am being defensive!

Germany is 50% catholic but it is not a latin-European nation like France, Portugal, Italy or Spain... Germany is Germanic.

The problem here lies in the fact that France is diverse enough and you cannot define it as if if was just black or white, there is too much diversity inside it to simplify it and water it down so that we can asnwer the question the thread creator asks!
Look at this thread. You are arguing with people who are basing what they're saying on shallow things like outward physical appearance. They're different because they don't look the same. Everything you're saying makes sense but you can't argue with that kind of ignorance.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:40 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,927,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo vidal View Post
The division between Germanic and Latin is only political and not ethnocultural. For example up to 60% of English words are of Romance origin.
See that's misleading though, because most of the everyday words used in conversation in English are from Germanic, as well as all of English grammar. BTW I was kidding about Spain being more like the Phillippines and Latin America, I was just making fun of the whole concept of Africa beginning at the Pyrenees. I'd still say France is a bit more like Germany, at least southern Germany. It's probably more like Spain than it is like Protestant northern Germany, though.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:24 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,469,434 times
I consider it more similar to Spain than to Germany, I find France more latin.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 PM

121 posts, read 386,471 times
LOL at people calling French "latin".

French are Gallo Romance with a strong Germanic and Atlantic input. Even the word "French" is of German origin from the Germanic Franks.

Iberians are Romance with Celtic, Jewish and Moorish influences. There are no latinos in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe