Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times

Advertisements

Teenage Austrian poster girls for ISIS who moved to Syria to live with jihadis are now pregnant and want to come home

Read more: Teenage 'poster girls for ISIS' who moved to Syria want to come home | Daily Mail Online

Boohoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,562 times
Come home??? They already went home. No sympathy with terrorist sympathizer.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 49,644 times
Teenage rebellion gone very, very wrong. I do sympathize with them though, they are quite young, probably didn't see the ramifications fully

Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 PM

251 posts, read 396,152 times
No way. I have no sympathy for terrorists. I hope they die.

Also they're 15 and 17, they're old enough to know what they're getting in to.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
I have my doubts about the story. I raised 2 daughters neither of them were so inclined to go out alone until much older than 15 and 16. The story just seems unreal, almost boiler plate 2 white girls yadda yadda.

I'm calling BS.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
No sympathy at all. Fortunately, they didn't decide to return home by now. Which means that they will probably be 18 when they are fed up with all that ****. Which means ~10 years in prison.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:05 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I have my doubts about the story. I raised 2 daughters neither of them were so inclined to go out alone until much older than 15 and 16. The story just seems unreal, almost boiler plate 2 white girls yadda yadda.

I'm calling BS.
You sure about that? I was a good kid by every stretch of the imagination - straight As, volunteering, the neighborhood babysitter, eventually earned a full (40K a year) tuition scholarship to a top 30 private university out of state, no drinking or drugs, good friends, probably didn't even speed - but I had a serious independent streak with a healthy dose of rebellion. By 15 and 16, I was traveling as much as possible on my own - albeit I didn't have a car and there was no public transit where I lived, so I didn't get far without my parents' approval. My parents allowed me to go on a summer scholars program the summer I was 16 in Miami (close to 1000 miles from home). Even though I had never been on public transit before, I hopped on the bus many days after classes were over to go exploring and talk to people in various neighborhoods, making lots of friends that would probably horrify my parents. By 18, I went to college across the country and traveled all over the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwestern states by Amtrak and Greyhound without my parents' knowledge. Looking back, spending all that money to visit people I had only talked to on Skype who I had met on message boards like CD was absurd. I might have been an adult, but I wasn't thinking of any consequences. I could see how going to another country could have felt like an adventure, especially if it was framed around helping other people (many reports say the girls were told they were going to help Syrian children).

I *also* got sucked into internet subculture and online friendships very easily at that age, especially because I felt different as a minority religion and liberal in the Bible Belt. The "othering" I experienced made it really easy for me to seek comfort in people who validated my beliefs, and I'm lucky nothing horrible happened to me based on some of the risks I took to meet these friends (most of whom ended up being other kids just like me, thank goodness). This was over a decade ago when our lives weren't nearly so intertwined with the digital world, and I was too embarrassed to talk about my "online friends" to my real life friends. Today, I think it's much more accepted, to dangerous ends. 15 year olds with low self esteem change themselves for boys all the time - what is making these girls change so much for such universally nefarious causes?

So to that end, I feel a lot of sympathy for these girls. When you're 15 or 16, you think you know everything. You think you understand more than your parents or even government officials do (believe me - I was this age during the Bush administration and I'm sure I thought I had a real run on Condi's job from my sophomore year homeroom). It's important for us to understand how so many teenagers become radicalized. What language and tone is being used to attract them? Why are the susceptible to radicalization in the first place? I've read a few stories of teenage girls specifically being swept up by ISIS - many of them come from mostly-secular Muslim families while others come from intermarried families with a parent of European descent who never converted to Islam. Still others seem to have no Muslim background, and I've read reports in Israeli media about a Jewish teenage girl in France who got swept up in this. What is causing it?

Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPlum View Post
Teenage rebellion gone very, very wrong.
That what it looks like to me too, judging by the pictures.

Who. Get. Involved. With. Chechens.

Worst parents nightmare, case like this.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:05 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
No way. I have no sympathy for terrorists. I hope they die.

Also they're 15 and 17, they're old enough to know what they're getting in to.
Not really. The mid teens tend to be a fairly impulsive age. Brain development isn't complete until about 25. It may not have occurred to them that they'd be given to men as brides. 15 is too young for a pregnancy in most Western countries (I mean young, psychologically, socially, educationally). The kid who took up studying Islam and ended up with the Taliban was 15 when he became interested in the religion, and was about 17 or 18 when he went to the Middle East. Some boys do wild and reckless things at 15, having no idea what they're getting into.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:44 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
0 sympathy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe