Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 AM

25 posts, read 42,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
I was born in Saint Petersburg and I can say with confidence that the weather is not good at all. Compared to Scandinavia it may not be that bad, but generally speaking, it really isn't great.

Most of the time it's pretty cloudy, it doesn't get very cold but it doesn't get very warm either. Temperatures of 25+ degrees in the summer are rare. The average is about 23. People don't seem to complain about it because they're used to it. It's a northern Russian city so it's not really a surprise.

Moscow is a bit better,it gets quite cold, but has more sunny and warm days in the summer. I would definitely classify Moscow as the better city to live in.

I got the different pictures about St.Peterburgs from different people even some of them
are from St.Pete.

Seeing is believing. Maybe I need to check it out myself. BTW, do you still live in St.Pete or moved to somewhere else already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
The cloudiness of St. Pete is very much dependant on the time of the year. November-January are usually very gloomy, but on the other side summers can be sunnier than anything North of the Alps.

Everything Natalya said is true. Moscow both get hotter heatwaves in summer and more severe coldwaves in winter.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,967 times
In 2014 Moscow had 102 days with temps above 20c, St Petersburg had 88 such days, Stockholm 80 days, Copenhagen 82 days.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post

I got the different pictures about St.Peterburgs from different people even some of them
are from St.Pete.

Seeing is believing. Maybe I need to check it out myself. BTW, do you still live in St.Pete or moved to somewhere else already?
People often tend to exaggerate weather and climate tremendeously, and most people also have a very poor knowledge and especially memory about climate. Like Chicago is the windy city, Seattle and London are always rainy, and Scandinavia is always frigid. Stereotypes die hard, especially climatological ones. All those previous statements are false.

The facts are:

St. Petersburg is as warm as Brussels in summer.
St. Petersburg is sunnier than Brussels.
St. Petersburg is colder than Brussels in winter.
St. Petersburg is drier than Brussels.
Montréal is warmer than St. Petersburg in summer.
Montréal is colder than St. Petersburg in winter.
Montréal is sunnier than St. Petersburg.
Montréal is rainier and snowier than St. Petersburg.

People also have very different preferences how the climate should be. Some like it warm, some like it cool. If you're into surfing you want to have wind, if you're into ice hockey you want freezing in winter. Some like deserts, some like rainforests. Some like hot and steamy all the time, some like cool and cloudy. So what is awful and what is perfect weather?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:22 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The cloudiness of St. Pete is very much dependant on the time of the year. November-January are usually very gloomy, but on the other side summers can be sunnier than anything North of the Alps.

Everything Natalya said is true. Moscow both get hotter heatwaves in summer and more severe coldwaves in winter.
A friend of me was there in St Pete last summer, and he said it was as sunny as Madrid used to be in those summer months!

Last edited by overdrive1979; 10-24-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
A friend om me was there in St Pete last summer, and he said it was as sunny as Madrid used to be in those summer months!
Last July especially was particularly sunny. My city had 375 sunshine hours in July, or 69% of the time the sun was up. St. Pete appears to have had 335 hours, 4 days above 30C and 20 days above 25C. But depends of course from year to year. The Baltic Sea is good in disintegrating clouds, so it can be surprisingly sunny.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 PM

319 posts, read 395,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post

are from St.Pete.

I don't think just checking it out will be the way to fully judge it. I lived there until I was 14 and my parents decided to move out.

Perfect climate for me is one that has all 4 seasons proper. Both hot summers and cold snowy winters with spring and fall being a transition to them. Southern Ukraine, Moldova, the Balkans (excluding Greece) do have a climate like that, St. Pete - not at all.

I would happily live there again, but not spend my entire year there, because summers are hit or miss - sometimes ok, other times horrible.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM

647 posts, read 796,857 times
There is one the main unpleasant things in the climate of St Pete, it's always high humidity, when the real temperature has a big difference from the temperature that really feels, so -10C in winter can feels like -20C and the same is often there.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
Perfect climate for me is one that has all 4 seasons proper. Both hot summers and cold snowy winters with spring and fall being a transition to them. Southern Ukraine, Moldova, the Balkans (excluding Greece) do have a climate like that, St. Pete - not at all.
Me too. As here, summers in St. Pete are too variable, and shoulder seasons too short. Southern Ukraine and cities like Detroit would be perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
There is one the main unpleasant things in the climate of St Pete, it's always high humidity, when the real temperature has a big difference from the temperature that really feels, so -10C in winter can feels like -20C and the same is often there.
The average humidity here is like 89% on average, but in winter it doesn't matter if it's not accompanied with high winds. On calm days you don't notice the humidity. On the other side, during this year's heatwave we went below 30% during midday humidity.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:43 PM

647 posts, read 796,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The average humidity here is like 89% on average, but in winter it doesn't matter if it's not accompanied with high winds. On calm days you don't notice the humidity. On the other side, during this year's heatwave we went below 30% during midday humidity.
Ty, I've been there only for 2 days in St Pete before and always thought that there is as cold winter as in my hometown despite the difference their temperatures. What highs have you during heatwaves ususally 25C+ or 30C+? Have you beaches there? How cold the Baltic sea near your city in summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe