Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite city?
Prague 6 24.00%
Vienna 11 44.00%
Budapest 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
so is vienna, I am sorry but vienna is so sterile, though I can see why an american might like it, americans love clean, safe, spotless, white, puuurrrrfect. and that is the impression I got of washington Dc and all those tacky massive statues and monuments all around the national mall and the tacky government buildings with the roman columns to give an impression of might and power, NOT MY THING BABE

That is how vienna looks like to me..... pretty, but don't touch please!!! And lets not even touch the subject of what do you do after 7pm in vienna.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Sounds a lot like you haven't left the palaces and cake shops while here. Not really the city's fault, though. Also, Vienna is quite diverse for a European city. At least when it comes down to foreigners/100.000 inhabitants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Sounds a lot like you haven't left the palaces and cake shops while here. Not really the city's fault, though. Also, Vienna is quite diverse for a European city. At least when it comes down to foreigners/100.000 inhabitants.
I am so sorry love, Austria is a wonderful place but I lived in Switzerland and I had my overdose of German culture, I know plenty of lovely austrians and it's a magnificent place to visit

I think Austria's charm is on the countryside, those majestic mountains, those beautiful towns in the middle of the alps

vienna just doesnt do it for me!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I am so sorry love, Austria is a wonderful place but I lived in Switzerland and I had my overdose of German culture, I know plenty of lovely austrians and it's a magnificent place to visit

I think Austria's charm is on the countryside, those majestic mountains, those beautiful towns in the middle of the alps

vienna just doesnt do it for me!
I stick to my opinion. About you and Vienna.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I stick to my opinion. About you and Vienna.
ok sorry if I offend you in any way

kisses!!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:02 AM

By any means, I'm not offended when someone doesn't like Vienna. To each his own. I just got a problem with people trashing a place they quite obviously have no idea about. Any place for that matter, not only Vienna.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
By any means, I'm not offended when someone doesn't like Vienna. To each his own. I just got a problem with people trashing a place they quite obviously have no idea about. Any place for that matter.
I didnt trash it, I said its a tad quiet after 7pm

you have nice pastry, and coffee shops but I also found Hungarians have the same pastries as you, maybe it's an Austro-Hungarian thing, I don't know (the french have stolen a lot of your pastries and claim them as their own BTW)

Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Washington Dc is a pretty crappy sterile place and when I visited it felt sterile, I didnt see the run down places, I couldn't wait to get out of there, too white american, too OMG OMG OMG OMG MADISON, JENNIFER AND DAKOTA PLEASE JUMP UP AND DOWN AND SAY, GOD BLESS AMEREWCA!!! (as an artist I wanted to die when I was there)

so is vienna, I am sorry but vienna is so sterile, though I can see why an american might like it, americans love clean, safe, spotless, white, puuurrrrfect. and that is the impression I got of washington Dc and all those tacky massive statues and monuments all around the national mall and the tacky government buildings with the roman columns to give an impression of might and power, NOT MY THING BABE

That is how vienna looks like to me..... pretty, but don't touch please!!! And lets not even touch the subject of what do you do after 7pm in vienna.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

now onto San francisco, you give too much credit to a city that is nothing but an overhyped, overpriced place with little diversity, Ive been there and didnt think much of it.... too hipster, too white, too OMG OMG OMG OMG WE'RE WHITE AMERICANS AND WE DO YOGA AND WE'RE VEGGAN OMG OMG OMG!!! (not my cup of tea)

I was drawing a comparison, but I actually think Budapest is cooler than San Francisco, (it's cheaper, more nightlife, not gentrified, not pretentious, lacks the artificial fake atmosphere of america, Hungarians lack the racial obsession of Americans which makes them a lot more pleasant to deal with, and they also don't have this obsession with radicalizing everything and then being PC about everything..... I went to the famous castro district in SFO "americans will tell u it's like something you've never seen before because is san francisco and its soon cool..... and and it comes up castro is like three gay bars with last call at 11pm, and that is super outrageously cool to the locals) I don't think SF can compare to Amsterdam.

I also had that experience with Austin texas (omg you have to go there, is the strangest funkiest place you'll ever see), I went there and its a suburban hell (I mean temperature wise), full of SUV's, walk thru restaurants and shopping malls.

So rethinking my comparison I think Budapest is more like Chicago or NYC in the old days!!!
Minneapolis? please honey shopping malls, walmarts, fat people, SUV's and suburbias??? don't offend budapest, it's a city with over a thousand years of history!

I need real people, art, culture, I cannot stand suburbias, fake smiles, green lawns in the desert and self important people obsessed with race and college degrees, cars, mcmansions, telling you what their political affiliation is, what they eat on a daily bases, the exercise they do, how they shop at whole foods daily, the name of the college they graduated from! (and a lot of americans are great at that), no offense, I am an artist and I need eclectic and stimulus, and in america only NYC can give me what I need, the rest is a nightmare with the capability of driving me absolutely suicidal!!!

So from my artist perspective Vienna fails, too pretty, too clean, too tidy, too goodie goodie!!! I need more than that.

Prague is better than Vienna, and then budapest is much better than other two!!!

shopping is better and cheaper, vintage cloths a galore, hungarian men are hotter than austrians, the nightlife is better and if you're an artist (the vibe and inspiration you get is more).... Vienna is like the national mall of Washington DC
I didn't like Vienna either. I can see why people would though...

In DC, it sounds like you ONLY went to the national monuments? That's a very very small section of the city. Washington DC, is majority black, not white.

Wait, you also went to San Francisco, and also found it white? It's about 35% Asian, and pretty close to 25-30% Mexican/Latino as well. If every city you go to in the U.S. is only a bunch of white people, you aren't seeing much else besides tourists. It doesn't take much to get away from the tourists in either SF or DC.

Austin...I would agree that its kind of suburban-like city. I've never understood the attraction to that one. Well, I understand the attraction to the vibe, but the city certainly doesn't seem to be developing in the right direction.

Budapest. I spent about 6 weeks in Budapest, and granted it was a long time ago now, but it still reminds of a Minneapolis. Inner city Minneapolis is very white, like Budapest, and just has a ton of cinemas, movie theaters, quirky little stuff, etc.

I did prefer Budapest to Vienna as well. But, I wouldn't compare Budapest with New York or Chicago. That's like comparing Budapest to London or Paris. It's just not. It's just a mid-size city that's cool and fits cool because it isn't that big. If you don't like the idea of Minneapolis, than we could say St. Louis or Louisville or Pittsburgh or something like that instead.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM

San francisco felt VERY white-american to me, and the latino community is mexican and central americans (which are almost the same thing) I didnt see a single south america (come to think of it you hardly see south americans in the US outside miami or NYC), and then you have like hordes of chinese-americans which the locals call asians but I honestly didnt feel this international vibe, and then the people hanging around the city make it a very irritating place to be.

everyone looking into their iphones or into the mac computers drinking starbucks, hordes of americans doing tai chi or yoga on the parks and jogging looking all spectabulous and mega fit drinking their organic super smoothies with exotic amazon seeds, and then these hippies wannabes playing the didgeridoo.... it kind of kill it for me (I felt very out of place, it felt very pretentious and class conscious and full of provincial people playing to be worldly because they have a college degree and can afford to live there)
and then just about everyone has an opinion and its all divided into high school like subcultures like vegans, liberals, gays, feminists, yuppies, hipsters, and each subculture won't shut up about it either!

I honestly didnt see this amsterdam funkiness in san francisco.... it felt like a very pretentious American city with artificial written all over it.

The best place in America for me is NYC but from my understand its becoming like that as well which kinda kills it

Last edited by Irene-cd; 11-10-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
San francisco felt VERY white to me, and the latino community is mexican and central americans (which are almost the same thing) I didnt see a single south america (come to think of it you hardly see south americans in the US outside miami or NYC), and then you have like hordes of chinese-americans which the locals call asians but I honestly didnt feel this international vibe, and then the people hanging around the city make it a very irritating place to be.
Among the largest U.S. metros, only Miami and LA are less white than SF. How can "very white" be less than 40% white in a country that is 70% white

Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM

by the way you mentioned budapest is vastly white, but budapest is not white.... budapest is Hungarian and then you have the gypsies and the jews

white to me is gringo: white-American, anglo-canadian, aussies, kiwis and the british

I don't really see hungarians, Swiss, french, spaniards etc as white folks, I think being white is an anglo thing in my opinion (I have jewish and Basque roots I would also be white then but I don't see myself as such)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe