Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:24 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Japan is a big machine, I would not want to live there if they asked me to. Technologically they are very good, but society is rather rigid and hierarchical, lots of rituals etc. I could never be happy in a culture like that.
I have the same opinion about Japan.
Wouldn't want to live there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 03:41 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,573,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I have the same opinion about Japan.
Wouldn't want to live there at all.
Not to mention that we would always remain outsiders, simply because we look different and strike out as foreigners. Heck, even in Portugal occasionally employees at the cash register say the price in English, somehow knowing I am not Portuguese, I am the wrong kind of white

Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times
Quote:
Not to mention that we would always remain outsiders, simply because we look different and strike out as foreigners. Heck, even in Portugal occasionally employees at the cash register say the price in English, somehow knowing I am not Portuguese, I am the wrong kind of white
Yes, the "Northerner" and it shows.
I, and another hand ( when in Italy) has been always addressed exclusively in Italian in all public places)))

PS. I wouldn't mind remaining an "outsider" in Japan, because I'd always feel this way anyway.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:25 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,896,539 times
Northern Europe is the richest and technologically most developed region in the world. That's why there are jealous Americans pretending to be from the Netherlands starting threads about the US being better. They should learn to deal with their inferiority complex.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM

In Italy they have quite a few blond people in the northern regions, so they can't be so sure someone looking like that is a foreigner. Also, the Italians just like the Spaniards are prouder and more self-confident, they don't try to appeal to foreigners the way many Portuguese unfortunately do.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Northern Europe is the richest and technologically most developed region in the world. That's why there are jealous Americans pretending to be from the Netherlands starting threads about the US being better. They should learn to deal with their inferiority complex.
I don't think that's correct. The technologically most advanced region is East Asia these days.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:43 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,896,539 times
Quote:
I don't think that's correct. The technologically most advanced region is East Asia these days.
(Rural) China and North Korea are a part of East Asia too ... I'll take Northern Europe any time.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:52 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
(Rural) China and North Korea are a part of East Asia too ... I'll take Northern Europe any time.
Northern Europe is not as technologically advanced as South Korea or Japan, certain regions of China have surpassed and are surpassing northern Europe in terms of technological advancement. When it comes to Japan, that's why the saying; if you want to see what the future looks like, go to Tokyo, exists.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:01 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,654,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Northern Europe is not as technologically advanced as South Korea or Japan, certain regions of China have surpassed and are surpassing northern Europe in terms of technological advancement. When it comes to Japan, that's why the saying; if you want to see what the future looks like, go to Tokyo, exists.
Certainly. The Japanese and Koreans are obsessed with technology and all new things, while the Nordics think more that "if it's not broken, don't fix it". Not that we use fax anymore, though.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:19 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,322,689 times
"if it's not broken, don't fix it"

That's the same with the whole of Europe, too. If it is broken though it'll be ''If its broken, match it up''
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe