Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 10:53 AM

319 posts, read 395,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How does this affect everyday life? How does it show? What do you even mean?
What I mean is that because of this excessive feminism there is no difference between women and men in any way. Us women are better at some things than men, but they are better at others. In Norway it's not like that, everything has to be 50/50 regardless what it is. And if it's not these women will protest.

They also seem to put their carreer above everything. When you go to Oslo you see more men pushing baby strollers than women, which makes you wonder where are all the mothers and what the hell has happened to this place. I feel bad for the norwegian guys actually and apparently going to the Philippines to find a wife is quite common. I can understand why.

A lot of norwegian guys will agree and I've been asked 100 times if I can introduce them to my friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
I don't think that people idealize Germanic countries more than Latin (except Romania) countries, or generally Western countries. This idealization follows the economical / social / military / scientifical achievements of the western countries in modern period, no big secret. In 19th-20th century, following the theories of Darwin and then hitler, was added the race element - the image of the blonde, blue-eyed northern men and women became the ideal of beauty both because ligther shades or complexions were associated in almost all cultures with purity and cleanliness and also with noble origin: is known that in European middle age lighter complexions were pursued by those wanting to show that they are noble, for the fact that a white skin was a sign that that person was not working (in the sun).

So this combination between economic / social success and perceived racial superiority (perception both among foreigners and western people themselves) has lead to an even more idealized statute of the West, especially the northern, blonde and technologically advanced nations.

It is easy to trace how this mythified image of the West was born. In early middle age, there was not much differnce between Western Europe and the then known world. Following the Renaissance emancipation, superior institutions, ideas etc appeared which, together with the work force of a very numerous population, created a very dynamic ideological and social environment, some (not all) the Western countries experiencing a considerable faster pace of evolution than the rest of the world. The discovery of the new continents, inhabited by primitive peoples, as well as the backwardess of the Islamic world and of the Eastern Christian (Orthodox) nations, all these started to build in the minds of the aware people the image of a Western civilisation that tops the humanity in every respect. From late middle age to modern era, the numerous discoveries, progress of science and technology, almost all happening only western countries, contributed even more to the phenomenon.

To a degree, the West trully became efficient and has created some immortal works of art but on other hand this idealized perception is illusory and from an aesthetical point of view, this collective narcissism / admiration is of bad taste as it not sees the cause of the success of western countries, which is not the result of some intrinsic quality, superiority of western nations (as some of them apparently believe, including some members of this forum). The causes of the western success are objective: protected geopolitical position, temperate climate, good soil and vegetation / food, huge amount of coast, inheritance of the experience of ancient civilisations (Greek, Roman and older others) etc. Also, some Western nations, like the Scandinavian ones, were quite backward even up to early 20th century.

At the level of the individual, those suffering from an exceptionalist admiration / pride toward the West are rather superficial people, definitely without an education in the fields of ancient history and history of civilisation, as a person aware of the entire timeline of human history, will have a perspective that will not allow him / her to fall in distorted evaluations of cultural / social phenomena.
Even people with an education seem to have attitudes that show us that they still think that this superiority is true.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
What I mean is that because of this excessive feminism there is no difference between women and men in any way. Us women are better at some things than men, but they are better at others. In Norway it's not like that, everything has to be 50/50 regardless what it is. And if it's not these women will protest.

They also seem to put their carreer above everything. When you go to Oslo you see more men pushing baby strollers than women, which makes you wonder where are all the mothers and what the hell has happened to this place. I feel bad for the norwegian guys actually and apparently going to the Philippines to find a wife is quite common. I can understand why.
Well, I think this sounds amazing. Men pushing baby strollers is really hot.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well, I think this sounds amazing. Men pushing baby strollers is really hot.
It is kinda hot I admit . But when you stop seeing women doing that it becomes scary. In Norway that is the reality.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 AM

363 posts, read 480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In South Korea, it is the first nation in the world that the entire country is wired for Gigabit internet. That's internet speeds of 1Gb/1000Mb (125MB/sec download speed) for those who don't know computer terminology. While northern Europe has, if it's similar to the UK, 50-100Mb (6.25MB/sec-12.5MB/sec) on average?

About your "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying, I never believed the Nordic countries to have that mentality until my wife visited Oslo and told me about the crap streets there. But, they were being worked on when she was there this summer, at least. But, I never would have thought the Nordic countries lived by that rule, too. I thought it was just an American thing, since we have a habit of using stuff until well past the expiration date
Oslo have been like a big construction site for some time now and it still will be for many years to come. People who visit Oslo need to get used to it and just accept Oslo for that.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:

A lot of norwegian guys will agree and I've been asked 100 times if I can introduce them to my friends
Of course there are differences, it's ridiculous to claim that women have become men. They have not. But the Nordic countries are not patriarchal societies, that's all. And haven't been since the medieval times. Norway and Sweden have some gender quotas, but it's not everywhere. Finland and Denmark do not have those.

And of course women should have careers. Jeez, it's 2014, it's not like women should be at home cooking and cleaning while the men work. And what is wrong with men pushing strollers? On the contrary is beneficial for the baby that the father spends more time with them.

If you want to be the weak woman just trimming her nails and shopping, fine. Nobody stops you.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
It's because of the economical system and Norway in particular is Europe's largest oil producer. If the area wasn't rich I doubt anyone would care about it at all. Plus it is a deeply feminist place where even for me as a female it was too much. The social structure is wrecked. So in general there is not too much to be admired about Scandinavia.

Norway however is extremely beautiful, gorgeous mountains!
I'm not sure how men pushing baby strollers = a wrecked social system.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:51 AM

363 posts, read 480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Good point. Our media enjoy telling us how awful the UK is, how we are fat, ugly, stupid and drunk. Other nationalities think we are nationalistic but that only applies to old people. I think the national feel-good factor is at an all-time low.
Swedish media enjoy telling how awful Norway and Oslo is, and in danish media norwegians are called mountain monkeys.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Swedish media enjoy telling how awful Norway and Oslo is, and in danish media norwegians are called mountain monkeys.
We tell that you are cod-munching mountain-hillbillies.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Of course there are differences, it's ridiculous to claim that women have become men. They have not. But the Nordic countries are not patriarchal societies, that's all. And haven't been since the medieval times. Norway and Sweden have some gender quotas, but it's not everywhere. Finland and Denmark do not have those.

And of course women should have careers. Jeez, it's 2014, it's not like women should be at home cooking and cleaning while the men work. And what is wrong with men pushing strollers? On the contrary is beneficial for the baby that the father spends more time with them.

If you want to be the weak woman just trimming her nails and shopping, fine. Nobody stops you.
I am sorry ,but that's how it is. Have you lived in Norway? I have. Like I said, it's not bad that you see fathers pushing strollers, it's bad that you see less mothers doing it. Yes, I cook and clean, does that make me weak? Guess what, most norwegian women don't do that and many even can't. Good values last forever, what does being 2014 have to do with them?You might want to face reality and stop ebarrassing yourself.

If any of the guys dare to say anything about it, they would be labeled as sexist. That may not be true for Finland, but it is 100% true for Norway. According to friends the situation is similar in Sweden.

I also don't think it's a coincidence there are so many single men out there. Unless they chose to be lonely. I doubt it.

Last edited by Natalya_; 11-08-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe