Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 AM

91 posts, read 117,721 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people almost worship anything from the northern Germanic countries of Europe? Scandinavia especially, as well as the Netherlands, England, Germany and Switzerland. Reading many of these threads it sounds a lot like thinking from the early 1900's and comes to the same conclusion: People in the "nordic" and "Germanic" countries are the superior people of the world, and Eastern and Southern Europe are inferior. And they say the same things: that we are supposedly more "free", more "tolerant", smarter, more "equal", and so on. So do people truly believe that places like the Netherlands and Sweden are a utopian society? Because it isn't! I don't understand how Sweden as an example is superior to France. Does it ever occur that people in France have a different outlook on life? Different values? A different culture? So it is strange to me to hear that people think the Netherlands is a utopian place that is worshiped by someone who has never lived here but is looking at statistics online. Statistics can lie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Really? I can't even count how many times people have complaint about the awful climate of the Northern Germanic countries in these forums. Or the cold and reserved people. Or how boring they are.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
They all have inferior economic systems that allows most of the wealth to trickle upwards to the top few percent.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Well there are a lot of worse places. I have been living in Germany now for 15 years and it seems ok. I am in NL often and have friends there, I would actually love to live there although they could use a mountain or two.

59 posts, read 130,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
They all have inferior economic systems that allows most of the wealth to trickle upwards to the top few percent.
Do you mean the UK and the US too, dont you? Look at the compulsory education system and then lets go deep into how universities work... in the UK you have to bleed with all the fees university tax you when you plan to enrole in some study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Or that is what is what they say about England when they talk about how unequal and backwards it is compared to the Nordic utopias. That it is inferior compared to a utopian country like Sweden. But for some reason more people want to go to England and way more Scandinavians move to England. I'd take the UK any day of the year over Sweden. But for worshipers of all things Nordic they pull up a statistic showing how England isn't good enough, but when you go to England everything is better. The people make jokes, have fun, they live and have souls. They have a somewhat diverse population and are capable of accepting people from different backgrounds.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBlue View Post
Do you mean the UK and the US too, dont you? Look at the compulsory education system and then lets go deep into how universities work... in the UK you have to bleed with all the fees university tax you when you plan to enrole in some study.
Yet the USA is the most technologically advanced country in the world and British universities always lead Europe. Luckily those idiot Brits keep setting the precedent for Europe. And I don't understand why it matters so much if you pay for education through taxes or your pocket - UK universities take money, ok, and so do universities in Denmark when you only receive 1/3 of the money you've earned that year...It sounds like a scheme that would fool a small child into thinking they are getting something for "free".

Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Why do so many people almost worship anything from the northern Germanic countries of Europe? Scandinavia especially, as well as the Netherlands, England, Germany and Switzerland. Reading many of these threads it sounds a lot like thinking from the early 1900's and comes to the same conclusion: People in the "nordic" and "Germanic" countries are the superior people of the world, and Eastern and Southern Europe are inferior. And they say the same things: that we are supposedly more "free", more "tolerant", smarter, more "equal", and so on. So do people truly believe that places like the Netherlands and Sweden are a utopian society? Because it isn't! I don't understand how Sweden as an example is superior to France. Does it ever occur that people in France have a different outlook on life? Different values? A different culture? So it is strange to me to hear that people think the Netherlands is a utopian place that is worshiped by someone who has never lived here but is looking at statistics online. Statistics can lie!
I think we all see what we want to see.

Your focus is exactly on that, so that's what you see.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM

59 posts, read 130,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Or that is what is what they say about England when they talk about how unequal and backwards it is compared to the Nordic utopias. That it is inferior compared to a utopian country like Sweden. But for some reason more people want to go to England and way more Scandinavians move to England. I'd take the UK any day of the year over Sweden. But for worshipers of all things Nordic they pull up a statistic showing how England isn't good enough, but when you go to England everything is better. The people make jokes, have fun, they live and have souls. They have a somewhat diverse population and are capable of accepting people from different backgrounds.
Its because larger countries offer higher scenary and wider job market, which doesnt necessarely translate in better quality of life. I rank Scandinavian countries, Netherlands, Germany and Even France as having higher quality of life than the UK does.

And watchout for the politeness of the British, It isnt meant to be genuine always.

Look at the map it shows how the UK has 9 out of 10 poorest areas in Northern europe (included france, belgium, austria,germany, netherlands, denmark, sweden, finland, Ireland, UK)

UK is far from Utopia, In comparison 3/10 of the weathiest areas are in germany

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBlue View Post
Its because larger countries offer higher scenary and wider job market, which doesnt necessarely translate in better quality of life. I rank Scandinavian countries, Netherlands, Germany and Even France as having higher quality of life than the UK does.

And watchout for the politeness of the British, It isnt meant to be genuine always.

Look at the map it shows how the UK has 9 out of 10 poorest areas in Northern europe (included france, belgium, austria,germany, netherlands, denmark, sweden, finland, Ireland, UK)

UK is far from Utopia, In comparison 3/10 of the weathiest areas are in germany
Yes and Mississippi is richer than the UK too don't forget that. I don't think it is fair for you to equate wealth to quality of life. So the US and Luxembourg in your book should have the best quality of life in the world. Or does it equate to everyone having blond hair and looking the same, acting the same, being introverted, living in an inhospitable climate, and showing no love to their children? If so then sure Sweden is your utopia.

Hitler thought Sweden was the closest thing to utopia too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe