Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 19,800 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't recommend going to the US right away. There are other exciting places much closer to you. It would be a lot cheaper, and easier, to travel Europe.

Plus I've been to Helsinki, yes I was ten and it was only for a couple hours, but it seemed like a cool place. Maybe explore there more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Go East Coast. Why? less hours from your family and you could webcam chat more easily like my wife from Bulgaria does.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finland Boy View Post
I think that this is a stupid question but still going to ask it. I'm sure that most of u guys doesn't even know what the darn is Finland or something and I'm sure that anyone of u have ever been to Finland. But I'm from Finland and I'm 15 yrs old living in southern Finland. I've always dreamed about living in US though I've never been to the States. I have a lil cousin there he lives in Cleveland vicinity I assume Frankly speaking I'm sick of Finland and I want some action to my life. I'm so bored here in the backwoods, I feel like I don't belong here So is US so cool to place live like some say and I think? Would it be impossible for a Finnish boy to adapt in the States? Please give some tips!
The states r so much fun espicially Arlington Texas.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,877 times
Finland produces some of the best music EVER!!!!!
BTW...I want to visit soo bad!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM

23 posts, read 92,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
Finland produces some of the best music EVER!!!!!
BTW...I want to visit soo bad!!!
Nice D I agree that Finnish people does good music :P

Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 PM

92 posts, read 455,601 times
Finland Rocks on!!! my favorite is Ville Vallo!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finland Boy View Post
I'm sure that most of u guys doesn't even know what the darn is Finland or something and I'm sure that anyone of u have ever been to Finland.
If you have an attitude that Americans are ignorant then you will have a hard time. Sarcasm will not be taken kindly. If you have an open mind and don't make assumptions about people you will be fine. This advise works for anyone visiting any country.

As for moving here, its not that easy. There is a reason why the US does not have an open immigration policy (unlike Canada, Australia, New Zealand). Too many people would come here. Once you are an adult and if you still want to move here (after visiting of course) your options would be to get a company to sponsor you via a work permit, to marry an American or to try to get in through the diversity visa program. I believe Finland is one of the countries which is underrepresented for migration into the United States.
travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1318.html

Good Luck

PS. I've never been to Finland. But I know where it is, I know that your largest minority group are Swedes (40%) and towns have two names to represent Finnish and Swedish place names (e.g., Turku/Abo).

Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If you have an attitude that Americans are ignorant then you will have a hard time. Sarcasm will not be taken kindly. If you have an open mind and don't make assumptions about people you will be fine. This advise works for anyone visiting any country.
Americans aren't good in geography. There's no need to get sensitive about it. It's nothing personal.

I would say people that takes themselves too seriously will go down eventually. It doesn't matter if they are jingoistic Americans or Islamic fundamentalists. British humour is mainly sarcastic. They can make fun of themselves. Watch some The New Statesman, Yes, Minister, Yes, Prime Minister, Fawlty Towers, and many others. Jews like Sacha Baron Cohen does the same with his Borat character. It works.

Quote:
PS. I've never been to Finland. But I know where it is, I know that your largest minority group are Swedes (40%) and towns have two names to represent Finnish and Swedish place names (e.g., Turku/Abo).
6 % speak Swedish.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Americans aren't good in geography. There's no need to get sensitive about it. It's nothing personal.

I would say people that takes themselves too seriously will go down eventually. It doesn't matter if they are jingoistic Americans or Islamic fundamentalists. British humour is mainly sarcastic. They can make fun of themselves. Watch some The New Statesman, Yes, Minister, Yes, Prime Minister, Fawlty Towers, and many others. Jews like Sacha Baron Cohen does the same with his Borat character. It works.

6 % speak Swedish.
Thanks for the correction. And I disagree that Americans do not know about geography as I'm American and every American I know is good at geography.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post

6 % speak Swedish.
Thanks for the correction I thought it was 4% typo on the 40. And I disagree that Americans do not know about geography. Perhaps coming from NYC has something to do with this. Having just returned to North American from living abroad I just get tired of the 'stupid Americans' comments that I have had to deal with for several years. So yes, I get annoyed. But I am entitled. I've put up with people blaming me for Bush, for wanting to know why Americans don't know about the world, etc. etc. I ended up just saying I'm Canadian (I'm dual).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe