Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:56 PM

23 posts, read 92,812 times

Advertisements

I think that this is a stupid question but still going to ask it. I'm sure that most of u guys doesn't even know what the darn is Finland or something and I'm sure that anyone of u have ever been to Finland. But I'm from Finland and I'm 15 yrs old living in southern Finland. I've always dreamed about living in US though I've never been to the States. I have a lil cousin there he lives in Cleveland vicinity I assume Frankly speaking I'm sick of Finland and I want some action to my life. I'm so bored here in the backwoods, I feel like I don't belong here So is US so cool to place live like some say and I think? Would it be impossible for a Finnish boy to adapt in the States? Please give some tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Anybody can adapt to the US. Don't think its all neat and exciting though, the entire country is not New York. (thank God) It is just as boring here as any other country. The only difference is as an American you get the priveledge of everyone hating you.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Do you like the weather in Finland? Most Finnish-Americans are in northern states with a cold climate. Wisconsin is one of them.

Save money and travel around USA with family or friends. Take the opportunity when the dollar is weak. Then you can see for yourself. You might not like it.

I have been to Finland many times.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,458 times
Have you considered participating in a foreign exchange program? My sister-in-law has hosted both Swedish and German high school students in the past. Might be worth checking out.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
I know of Finland, There are quite a few around here... this is mostly due to the Nokia US headquarter being a couple of miles from my house... so yes I have heard actual native Finnish before .
Its not at all impossible. If you are Young and looking to find action:
San Fran
Los Angeles
NYC
Austin
Chicago
Miami
Houston
Dallas
and Seattle always have something going on.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,003 times
You'll like the US. A Finnish colleague of mine studied in the US when he was in high school and alerted me to his amusement of the existence of spelling bees: apparently English is one of the only non-phonetic languages in the world (??) which is why Americans have to pound spelling into youths.

If you live anywhere long enough, it gets boring. But if you're interested, go check it out. Cleveland might be slightly improved over Finland weatherwise, but being from Cincinnati (at the other end of the state of Ohio, and a big competitor), Cleveland is.... for a first city, it's fine. : )

Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I should really visit US and think about moving there after the visit

Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finland Boy View Post
I'm sure that most of u guys doesn't even know what the darn is Finland or something and I'm sure that anyone of u have ever been to Finland
So you start by insulting everyone? Who does not know about the home of Lordi, Apocalyptica, and Mika Häkkinen ?

Yes, I've been to Suomi-land and have some friends there. Its a beautiful place with very nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finland Boy View Post
But I'm from Finland and I'm 15 yrs old living in southern Finland. I've always dreamed about living in US though I've never been to the States. I have a lil cousin there he lives in Cleveland vicinity I assume Frankly speaking I'm sick of Finland and I want some action to my life. I'm so bored here in the backwoods, I feel like I don't belong here So is US so cool to place live like some say and I think? Would it be impossible for a Finnish boy to adapt in the States? Please give some tips!
You would be fine in the States as long as you come with an open mind. Try being an exchange student for a semester or a full year. Instead of going to a part of the States which is more similar to Finland, try going someplace completely different (like California, Arizona, Florida, etc).

Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 AM

469 posts, read 2,736,646 times
AFS Intercultural Programs sends exchange students your age to live in other countries, including the USA. Might be a fun way to spend a semester or a summer!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
So you start by insulting everyone? Who does not know about the home of Lordi, Apocalyptica, and Mika Häkkinen ?

Yes, I've been to Suomi-land and have some friends there. Its a beautiful place with very nice people.

You would be fine in the States as long as you come with an open mind. Try being an exchange student for a semester or a full year. Instead of going to a part of the States which is more similar to Finland, try going someplace completely different (like California, Arizona, Florida, etc).
I'm thinking about that. But do u have any information about how much does it cost, I mean the exchange year :P

Last edited by Finland Boy; 01-04-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe