Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:02 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,351 times

Advertisements

I remember reading a poll about the world's most attractive people and the UK came first..... (a lot of people were like WTF), it comes out the poll was done in the UK by one of those ridiculous tabloids british love to read!!!

and also like this poll, the british are the most attractive people on the planet kept getting posted everywhere on internet forums as if it was an objective ultimate truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 05:01 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Looking at the list, I keep wondering, do people really have such short memories?

UK, US and Germany are the probably three countries that have caused the most of the world's problems. There are only a handful of nations on the earth that the UK hasn't evaded or colonized or caused troubled in, and the US is still aggressively meddling with every country's business.

The only explanation is that this survey is conducted in a few rich countries who either don't know much about history, or the existence of other countries in the world, not simply don't care.
Apparently you don't have particularly long memories and you don't know history very well either.
Remember who beat Japan in WWII? Were it not for America, China is part of Japan now.
How nice. The possible consequence of not meddling with other countries' business.

Quote:
this is more like a ranking of harmless countries, rather than likable countries.

Sweden, don't know much about it and sounds like a great place. Why not vote for that What exactly has Sweden done that is so likable? Ikea?
Here's that list from Forbes.
1 Switzerland
2 Canada
3 Sweden
4 Finland
5 Australia
6 Norway
7 Denmark
8 New Zealand
9 The Netherlands
10 Germany
11 Austria
12 Belgium
13 Ireland
14 Japan
15 United Kingdom
16 Italy
17 France
18 Spain
19 Portugal
20 Singapore
21 Brazil
22 United States of America
23 Czech Republic
24 Poland
25 Thailand
26 Argentina
27 Peru
28 Malaysia
29 Taiwan
30 Chile
31 Greece
32 South Africa
33 Philippines
34 Qatar
35 UAE
36 India
37 Venezuela
38 Mexico
39 Turkey
40 Indonesia
41 South Korea
42 Israel
43 Egypt
44 Romania
45 Ukraine
46 Kuwait
47 Colombia
48 Saudi Arabia
49 Kazakhstan
50 China
51 Algeria
52 Russia
53 Nigeria
54 Pakistan
55 Iran

Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
Am I the only one who visited Germany and thought the people were absolute jerks?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I remember reading a poll about the world's most attractive people and the UK came first..... (a lot of people were like WTF), it comes out the poll was done in the UK by one of those ridiculous tabloids british love to read!!!

and also like this poll, the british are the most attractive people on the planet kept getting posted everywhere on internet forums as if it was an objective ultimate truth!
I'll do you one better.

I know this girl who posted the first sentence of this article to Facebook, and then made some frustrated 'ugh totalitarian government!!!' comment following it. But I mean, come on, you HAVE got to be kidding me. The sentence (well...the whole thing too) is so badly written it isn't even technically discernible beyond the buzzwords, yet she pretends to understand it perfectly.

I searched the text and sure enough, some copy and pasted junk found on multiple junk websites.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Apparently you don't have particularly long memories and you don't know history very well either.
Remember who beat Japan in WWII? Were it not for America, China is part of Japan now.
How nice. The possible consequence of not meddling with other countries' business.

n
you don't know what you talk about. Despite being a much stronger country, there is no way japan can occupy China and keep it under control for a long time. For a few years, yes. It is just logistically impossible. Manchuria, maybe, entire China? No way. It's like France or Germany can never have Russia.

And don't forget either the American sponsored KMT was driven out of China by the much weaker ccp at that time.

You probably don't like the fact that Japan was nuked. Otherwise you could still be a proud citizen of Japan which you adore so much.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
you don't know what you talk about. Despite being a much stronger country, there is no way japan can occupy China and keep it under control for a long time. For a few years, yes. It is just logistically impossible. Manchuria, maybe, entire China? No way. It's like France or Germany can never have Russia.

And don't forget either the American sponsored KMT was driven out of China by the much weaker ccp at that time.

You probably don't like the fact that Japan was nuked. Otherwise you could still be a proud citizen of Japan which you adore so much.
That was sarcasm. You brought up history, then let's talk about history.
Most of the people around the world have already gotten over WWII and British Empire, you can keep holding a grudge if you want, just that most people no longer hate Germany because of Third Reich and UK because of their conquering during 19th century.

And stop pretending that China has never been meddling others' business.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Unfortunate, but the Germans do try hard...to be absolute idiots. I'll take a Romance country every time, including Romania!

Old 11-22-2014, 01:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Looking at the list, I keep wondering, do people really have such short memories?

UK, US and Germany are the probably three countries that have caused the most of the world's problems. There are only a handful of nations on the earth that the UK hasn't evaded or colonized or caused troubled in, and the US is still aggressively meddling with every country's business.

The only explanation is that this survey is conducted in a few rich countries who either don't know much about history, or the existence of other countries in the world, not simply don't care.
My guess is that people are voting based on things to do, culture, lifestyle and not politics, historical war or current meddling. UK may have invaded nearly every country in the world, but that was a long time ago.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:33 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Many countries in Europe and Northern America are just envious of Germany. Germany is one of the few Western countries whose products are in high demand all over the world. Nothings beats 'Made in Germany'. Germany is a beautiful country with lower costs of living than the rest of Western Europe or North America with a functional health-care system and polite although somewhat reserved people.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:37 AM

^The Netherlands is pretty good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe