Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM

321 posts, read 391,964 times

Advertisements

Switzerland is extremely beautiful, I don't know how it could be considered boring. It has a natural beauty that very few countries in Europe can compete with. So, I would say it's pretty close to perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 PM

993 posts, read 1,932,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Farmers in Switzerland routinely EATING cats and dogs with their meals | Daily Mail Online

it's the daily mail of course...the worst con. bull**** on the planet BUT i got other source it's not just them.
Yeah, a few rural villagers and farmers who does that as an old tradition, and yes it is actually true. However, the ones still doing this are probably just a few hundred, if even that. And in what kind of way do you think that represents millions of Swiss people?

Most countries has rural areas with weird and awkward local food cultures, here in Sweden there is a couple of areas where people eats crows as a local tradition...

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-19-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Its done by a handful of rural farmers in Appenzell and St. Gallen. The meat is not allowed to be be sold and there is no commercial abattoirs for cats and dogs. The meat is eaten by these farmers and their friends and relatives, so if you are expecting lassie burgers in Zürich or Geneva you will be gravely disappointed.

As for me as a big time meat eater who has eaten everything from reindeer to whale, I can't really morally object to them either, as the farmers said, meat is meat, if they follow proper animal welfare laws as with any other animal on their farms, whats the problem? Thats none of my business

Article here from thelocal.ch

Dogs and cats 'still eaten in Switzerland' - The Local

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-19-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 06:02 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Its done by a handful of rural farmers in Appenzell and St. Gallen. The meat is not allowed to be be sold and there is no commercial abattoirs for cats and dogs. The meat is eaten by these farmers and their friends and relatives, so if you are expecting lassie burgers in Zürich or Geneva you will be gravely disappointed.

As for me as a big time meat eater who has eaten everything from reindeer to whale, I can't really morally object to them either, as the farmers said, meat is meat, if they follow proper animal welfare laws as with any other animal on their farms, whats the problem? Thats none of my business

Article here from thelocal.ch

Dogs and cats 'still eaten in Switzerland' - The Local
Not being racist or anything but i guess you can judge a country by the food they eat. In WHICH case...India is a pretty solid country, considering i've heard they're the country with the highest % of vegetarians, but still (watch it when they start singing! lol....and on another note: i am such a child ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdyC1BrQd6g

Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
This is typical City-Data logic. Countries where things work are considered sterile, boring, suicidal and depressing. Chaotic countries in warmer climates are exciting, positive and people have fun all the time.
cochabamba, bolivia...warm, palms and so much cocaine lol, guess some people have a point 0_0...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbzipfZCmLE

Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Not being racist or anything but i guess you can judge a country by the food they eat. In WHICH case...India is a pretty solid country, considering i've heard they're the country with the highest % of vegetarians, but still (watch it when they start singing! lol....and on another note: i am such a child ):
LOL, seriously though, I appreciate the diversity of food cultures in the world, whenever I go to a new country I tend to try the most original local dishes, especially odd types of meat from animals we dont eat in my country, there's a little bit of Andrew Zimmern in me.

That being said, 99.9% of Swiss people has probably never eaten dog or cat meat, most has probably not even heard of it. Killing your own dogs and eating them is also technically legal (providing you do not break animal cruelty laws) in places such as Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Pennsylvania, Maine, Nebraska etc, infact very few countries in the world has any specific laws against personal consumption of dog or cat meat, its just something that most people simply won't do.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
Quote:
Yeah, vegetarianism, child slavery and a dehumanizing caste system. India is a model of social responsibility.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
LOL, seriously though, I appreciate the diversity of food cultures in the world, whenever I go to a new country I tend to try the most original local dishes, especially odd types of meat from animals we dont eat in my country, there's a little bit of Andrew Zimmern in me.

That being said, 99.9% of Swiss people has probably never eaten dog or cat meat, most has probably not even heard of it. Killing your own dogs and eating them is also technically legal (providing you do not break animal cruelty laws) in places such as Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Pennsylvania, Maine, Nebraska etc, infact very few countries in the world has any specific laws against personal consumption of dog or cat meat, its just something that most people simply won't do.
i am willing to accept it's a "dying culture" there. I mean the cat eating, but then again in places like korea or vietnam it's closer to a daily type of meal.

fair enogh to the swiss - french eat horses or the italians - frogs....so guess it's similar.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yeah, vegetarianism, child slavery and a dehumanizing caste system. India is a model of social responsibility.
didn't say it's a paradise either. "fun fact": new delhi is considered the "rape capital" of the world...

Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,231,953 times
Quote:
l
no control over gun purchases

So what is your problem with that?? It is one of the most peaceful country in the world. I'm sure gun control has greatly helped crime rates in Mexico,, Venezuela, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe