Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times

Advertisements

Judging from the Swiss whom I know personally, they seem to lead a simpler lifestyle, and are quite frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
1) It is probably true, but as far as I know the Swiss make much higher salaries (one of the few countries that pay more than the US) and pay lower taxes.
Countries with high cost of living usually have high average salaries, this applies to both Switzerland and the US. I wouldn't want to be poor in either of those countries.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I bet that's not a lot of money, given the high cost of living. Not everyone earns overtime. And considering the fact that a nursing degree, even if it's a 2-year degree, requires a lot of science and medical coursework, plus they're responsible for people's lives, for heaven's sake!
Quite frankly, €2900 for someone fresh out of school is a fair amount of money. Also, overtime/work on Sunday/odd hours are pretty much a given in that sector. Again: Those people don't have a university degree.

Someone fresh out of law school (after the compulsory clerkship) makes ~€2000. All in. No extra money for overtime. And those people all have Master degrees.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis;
Quite frankly, €2900 for someone fresh out of school is a fair amount of money.
Someone else on this thread said starting pay for nurses was less than half what you're saying, though.
And I don't know about Switzerland, but in the US, there are different shifts, so that no one is required to put in overtime, usually. And the nurses who have been working the longest get the first choice of shifts, so some of them take the whole weekend, and get all the overtime pay that way. They can word 2 days plus some time on Fridays, and they get paid the same as the weekday nurses get paid for working 5 days. Those who choose evening shifts get paid the overtime pay that's for evening or night work. Everyone works either 8 hrs. or 12 hours. (3 12-hr. shifts = 1 week's pay on weekdays.) Maybe in Switzerland it's different, and employers can require someone who has completed their 8 hr. shift to work extra hours for overtime. The nurses' union doesn't allow that in the US.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

The biggest complaint, like the others here, is the horrific cost of living. A McDonald's meal cost like US$12 at the time I visited, it can easily be at US$17 nowadays with the exchange rate. With prices as high as that, I asked for ketchup and they charged me for a packet of ketchup! No, the expensive fries you ordered does not entitle you to a free packet of ketchup.
This is sad to hear. I mean, if you can't afford to enjoy a meal at the famous Swiss McDonald's what is the point of even going to Switzerland?

But seriously, I have had a couple of skiing vacations to Zermatt and it was a brilliant time. I can't speak for touristing around Zurich, Geneva or other 'urban' Swiss experiences, that is not my type of vacation for the most part, but I would like to swim the Aare in Bern before I die. That sounds anything but boring.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone else on this thread said starting pay for nurses was less than half what you're saying, though.
Got my number from the webpage of AMS, the Austrian employment agency. The other number was hearsay. Also, even without additional money from overtime that's quite a lot of dough for someone that has hardly any work experience and/or formal education.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM

564 posts, read 747,165 times
Never been to Switzerland but from my experience with people that have lived there and from what I've read and seen throughout the years my opinion of it, like others have already said here, is that it's a gorgeous little country but insanely boring. I believe that's why William Tell used to shoot arrows at people's heads, he was trying to make life a bit more interesting.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Never been to Switzerland but from my experience with people that have lived there and from what I've read and seen throughout the years my opinion of it, like others have already said here, is that it's a gorgeous little country but insanely boring. I believe that's why William Tell used to shoot arrows at people's heads, he was trying to make life a bit more interesting.
95% of the US is as boring, if not more, and not nearly as pretty.
What is "not boring"? I would say rich culture, a non-homogenous lifestyle, festivals all year around, great non-generic food, non-suburban etc etc.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM

564 posts, read 747,165 times
I agree that a lot of the US is boring too but this thread is about Switzerland.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Quite frankly, €2900 for someone fresh out of school is a fair amount of money. Also, overtime/work on Sunday/odd hours are pretty much a given in that sector. Again: Those people don't have a university degree.

Someone fresh out of law school (after the compulsory clerkship) makes ~€2000. All in. No extra money for overtime. And those people all have Master degrees.
The Swiss make much more than that. When I lived in Germany they said in the news that in Switzerland a cashier makes 3000 euros per month and a train driver 5000 euros per month. The train drivers were on strike over that because they thought it is not enough ... Still, they are far from being rich, that money mostly goes to the terrible high costs of living. It's a bit like London, Paris, New York or San Fransisco, whatever you make in a salaried job will not buy you a good standard of living.

When I entered a simple looking grocery store called Migros I really got a price shock, things are literally 3 times as expensive as in Germany or the Netherlands. Rents are very high too compared to the rest of Europe. Their costs of living are more comparable to Northern America rather than Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe