Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times

Advertisements

Peppe's Pizza or Dolly Dimples are both ok. Egon is an another "cheap" alternative. The best pizza restaurant, Villa Paradisio, is located at Grünerløkka. It is too far away from the city center. Grünerløkka is the Norwegian version of West Village in NYC.

The Opera roof is open to all free of charge.

Bus route 30 to the Viking Ship Museum (at Bygdøy) departs from Jernbanetorget, just outside Oslo Central Station, or the City Hall. Both bus stops are easy to find.

Central Oslo is quite small. You can walk from the Opera at Bjørvika to Aker Brygge in 25 min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Say "hi" to Ylvis for me when you're there.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM

I saw both of them a couple of years ago. Talented guys.

They have now moved permanently from Bergen to Oslo.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:32 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Then I certainly think I can rule out Holmenkollen if its more than 1 hour of travelling combined, as the stay is only for 6 hours. Would be great if DFDS could have their ferries stay a bit longer, 6 hours is very short and staying overnight in downtown Oslo is probably not affordable, besides its already booked and payed. I will visit Akershus Fortress and the Opera House for sure, is the roof open to public access all time of the year? Will probably also visit the Viking Ship Museum if its not too troublesome to get there without walking.

By the way just looked up Peppe's Pizza and the prices there looks okay, and if Jensens Bøfhus has the same prices as in Denmark that would be okay too. Quality food is not a requirement.
We spent about 74 USD for a big pizza , soda and beer. The pizza was decent, but I have pretty high pizza standards. It's also very centrally located. It can look very busy when you walk in but we were seated quickly.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I never buy beer in a restaurant in Oslo. I am not a millionaire.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My Norwegian friend told me Norwegians go to Sweden for alcohol, Swedes go to Denmark for alcohol and the Danish go to Germany for it.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
A $10 beer is expensive but still manageable for most people. Just forget what you are paying back home.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:26 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
My Norwegian friend told me Norwegians go to Sweden for alcohol, Swedes go to Denmark for alcohol and the Danish go to Germany for it.
No, Swedes go to Germany for alcohol nowadays, cause nowadays its not much cheaper in Denmark than in Sweden. I don't know anyone who goes to Denmark to buy beer. However they often drive through Denmark as transit on their way to Germany unless they take the Trelleborg-Sassnitz ferry.

It used to be Denmark in the old days when the Danish krone was lower than the Swedish krona, but since the Danish krone has raised everything has gotten much more expensive there. Also plus the EU Membership and Schengen Agreement that allows Swedes to go to Germany and take whatever they want with them without any hinder or customs.

There is really no reason at all to buy your beer in Denmark instead of Germany, it only takes about 2 hours more to drive to Germany where its much, much cheaper. Maybe if you live in say Helsingborg or Malmö it can be worth it to take a short trip across the border to Denmark and buy some slightly cheaper beer for the weekend, but not any bigger amounts that will last longer.

Before we joined EU in 1995, we could only go to Nordic countries without passport and without having to pass customs or border controls, through the Nordic Passport Union.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-25-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 03:46 PM

363 posts, read 480,055 times
Quote:
If you are cheap on it then buy alcohol from the hillbilly farmers outside of every city in Norway, they make it themselves. Not sure how much it cost but probably around 100 usd for 20L of 96% alcohol.

**** Scandinavians Love: Hjemmebrent - YouTube

Old 11-25-2014, 04:45 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Hemmbränt (moonshine) used to be very, very common and widespread in Sweden until we joined the EU and got free access to Germany with basically no limits on private imports. Moonshine is quickly dying out in the southern half of Sweden as people are driving to Germany instead, where they buy alcohol and other products that are expensive in Sweden but cheaper in Germany.

Sales in Systembolaget* stores in southern Sweden are also in heavy decline because of more people going to Germany.

* Systembolaget is government owned and the only stores in Sweden allowed to sell strong liqour. There is 100% government monopoly on strong liqour in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands, where any strong alcohol including strong beer only can be sold at government owned stores, and restaurants if they have a permit.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-25-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe