U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:57 AM

4,557 posts, read 4,822,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
It's illegal to own a gun in Germany.
Well, you can obtain a Jagdschein or a Waffenschein. Then you are allowed to own a gun. The latter is fairly hard to get, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,550,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, you can obtain a Jagdschein or a Waffenschein. Then you are allowed to own a gun. The latter is fairly hard to get, though.
From what I understand, that's only for police or security people etc.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 AM

4,557 posts, read 4,822,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
From what I understand, that's only for police or security people etc.
Actually, I made a mistake.

Firstly, there are Waffenbesitzkarten and Waffenscheine/Jagdscheine.

A Waffenbesitzkarte entitles you to own a gun. In order to get one, they conduct a background check, you have to prove that you can handle a gun (courses, ...) and you have to proof that you really need a gun (collecting, hunting, sports or because of your job/other circumstances).

A Waffenschein entitles you to carry your gun. Same criteria as above but stricter and you have to prove that you are more in danger of an attack than the average citizen ("Dazu muss man glaubhaft machen, dass man wesentlich mehr als die Allgemeinheit durch Angriffe auf seinen Leib und sein Leben gefährdet ist und dies durch das Führen einer Waffe verringert werden kann.").

Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 AM

566 posts, read 529,199 times
In Portugal, just like other countries, it's perfectly legal to own guns, anyone can apply for a permit, but it's really not a big cultural thing there. It's actually not that uncommon for some people to own guns for hunting purposes, but that's about it, and those that do, like others have already said, tend to own more than one, usually several, but there's really not a big gun culture there.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 AM

993 posts, read 1,518,285 times
Illegal to own a gun in Germany? What about hunters? Here in Sweden, gun owners are almost exclusively hunters, and a few people who takes part in shooting sports. You can't buy or own a gun just cause you like it or cause you want to defend yourself.

However as there are many hunters in Sweden, there are many gun owners. We also have quite plenty German hunting tourists who comes here to hunt moose and bear, so they must have obtained their guns in some way.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:41 AM

846 posts, read 375,650 times
French here and I'll say the same as the others.

The only (very few) people I've ever known to have a fire weapon actually have rifles (sorry if that's the wrong word, I mean the long type of thing that only has two bullets) and it's for hunting which is regulated as it is everywhere -I think : season of reproduction, locations where it's allowed, etc.

One exception (again extremely rare, but because it's so expensive and a rare hobby) would be "collection" history guns that probably wouldn't touch an elephant in a corridor, since they haven't been fired for centuries or family memorabilia, again old and unused/mainly unusable weapons.

Last edited by personne; 11-28-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,747 posts, read 39,655,111 times
And of course, in the US most gun owners own multiple guns

Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com

32% of households have a gun. And a household usually has multiple people, so members don't own the gun.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:05 PM

14,967 posts, read 16,548,069 times
A good friend of mine has several rifles: a ruger .22, a lever action Henry .22, a .30-06, an SKS (7.62), a Garand, and black powder musket. He also has some shotguns: A Mossberg 500, a Remington 870, and some kind of over under that shoots .22 and 20 gauge shot. He has one handgun that I know of, a .357 revolver.

He is a political liberal with libertarian leanings and a pacifist. His range of weapons reflects gifts from his family, his interest in historical firearms, and his desire to be able to hunt as many 'seasons', which have gun specific regulations, as he can or wants to.

I consider him pretty typical for an American gun enthusiast.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,396,862 times
lol entire eastern europe + china has almost no guns.

This map shows how "secure" the West is (the quotation marks weren't random...).

Old 11-29-2014, 03:50 AM

321 posts, read 277,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
lol entire eastern europe + china has almost no guns.

This map shows how "secure" the West is (the quotation marks weren't random...).
And for the good, because if we had guns we would kill each other.

I think countries with strict gun ownership policies probably have them for a reason, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or