Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,499,907 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm hoping to hear from people from any European nation.

How and what do you provide, (or not) for those who are mentally ill and "on the streets?"

Are any services denied or limited because of legal status (citizen/immigrant) etc. in your country?

Thank you in advance for any answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,141,689 times
Norway:

The only ones on the streets here are drug addicts, Roma people and asylum-seekers. I believe addicts are offered treatment, like a stay at a rehabilitation center and/or drugs like Methadone and Subutex. They are also offered free housing, etc. The latter group are offered various government support.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:01 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,838,716 times
In France there are a lot of mentally ill people in the streets, however some of them only during daytime, at night they go back to dedicated shelters dubbed "hopital de jour". And of course as in Norway a lot of alcoholics, drug addicts, asylum seekers, and young beggars with German shepherds and "Iroquois" hairdressing. And I forgot the professional bums with their cardboard "houses". Needless to say the whole scene is unhygienic, violent , and unpleasant. And it's public policy to "let them be" and do nothing about that situation because "it would infrige on their freedom"-the "freedom" to die slowly on a sidewalk or be a threat to others..... (there are thousands of homeless people in French big cities).

Old 12-04-2014, 03:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,112,385 times
I see very few here, in the citys their are some mostly with mental health issues coupled with some drug or alcohol issues. Pretty much anyone capable of going to an office and filling out some papers will get some housing and assistance. A few either can´t or wont, and those who can´t will often get "found" by some social worker and put in some housing situation. I do know of a small homeless camp here under a bridge by the train station, I think many of them pretty much choose to be homeless.

Lot´s of the street people you see around the train station or park, junkies, drunks and beggars... have housing.

Now and then you will find someone living out of one of the little huts which are along the hiking trails, where I go climbing there seems to be a semi permanent guy with an old guitar and all his stuff on his bike who turns up in the evening at a hut along the trail- maybe next time I go I will bring a bottle of wine and some extra food and see if he will tell me his story for a bit of wine, he seems kind of interesting.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,551,271 times
I rarely see homeless people in Bucharest, perhaps because they are rapidly collected by police and sent to some social homes.

Mentally ill people are known to be badly treated, abused by personel, kept in misery. Usually in Transylvania mental asylums are hosted in historical castles, which for this reason are not visitable. Even some of the most precious and beautiful castles have such destination.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:51 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,069,237 times
Just a couple of hours ago I saw four homeless, two were Spanish and two Romanians.
Why do I know that they were Romanian? Because they belong to a Romanian Corporation that drops them in strategic places as beggars and picks them up later.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,551,271 times
And how do you know they dont have home? They dress poorly to induce compassion but I doubt that that corporation picked them from streets and then left them again on streets. It doesn't make sense. Usually is a organized crime group that brings children from Romania and put them to beg, but over night they house them somehow.

And why doesn't the police take care of this phenomenon?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,481,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Norway:

The only ones on the streets here are drug addicts, Roma people and asylum-seekers. I believe addicts are offered treatment, like a stay at a rehabilitation center and/or drugs like Methadone and Subutex. They are also offered free housing, etc. The latter group are offered various government support.
They get homes in Finland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe