Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 01:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
An American gang bangers vs Radical Muslim immigrants in Europe (who are the worst) thread would be cool.
You have the Mexicans, so you have your hands full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:20 PM

687 posts, read 915,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm white and I used to live in a ghetto. I never got kidnapped, stabbed, or shot at. Most people will be ok as long as they turn a blind eye to their neighbors' criminal activities
Those criminal activities are the very reason the areas you mention will never stabilize and improve.

A lot of people seem to have in their heads that poverty causes crime but that is a common problem with the average American thought process where people mix up cause and effect.

In reality crime causes poverty.

Why is that though? Because responsible and productive homeowners are not going to move into a crime ridden area regardless of the "affordability". Even if a home in Baltimore city costs 20x less than a home in the surrounding counties it is worthless (to responsible people) if one has to live next to crime and other social ills. Crime has a negative impact on the middle class way of life.

Businesses (and the type of people who start businesses) are not going to risk moving into crime filled areas. Crime has a negative impact on business, not only from a physical standpoint, but also because businesses thrive on stability and routine rather than instability and random chaos.

Thus with no businesses and with no influx of productive people who generate even moderate incomes moving in, these areas will never stabilize and because of that will never thrive...until the crime ends.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Are ghettoes spreading in Europe? First, let's examine the definition of a ghetto.

1. An (often walled) area of a city in which Jews are concentrated by force and law. (Used particularly of areas in medieval Italy and in Nazi-controlled Europe.)

2. An (often impoverished) area of a city inhabited predominantly by members of a specific nationality, ethnicity, or race.

3. An area in which people who are distinguished by sharing something other than ethnicity concentrate or are concentrated.

Definition 2 and 3 describes many places in Europe. Malmo in Sweden is famous for having a large Muslim presence. It has Muslim ghettoes that did not exist in the homogenous Sweden of a few decades ago. So if we are honestly answering the OP, of course ghettoes are spreading in Europe, or at least they have spread significantly. The next time you drive through an area that is dominated by one minority, that is a ghetto. Like others, I am unsure why the discussion is fixated on the US (by people who "don't care about the US") instead of discussing real socioeconomic effects of mass immigration, failed social policies, and stagnant economies in Europe.

Sorry, but no.

Ghetto, as we are dealing here, is a place were you have a very HIGH probability of being SHOT by a superobese crackhead whose remote ancestors were African and English for the most part.

Nobody is speaking about the historical definition of ghetto, if that was the case, then the US would be 100 percent ghetto since everything is divided in ghettos (social, ethnical, economic, religious, sexual orientation, age, etc).

In fact, if you want to analyse it historically, ghettoes have been decreasing in Europe since the Middle Ages. During the Middle Ages, European cities and large towns were divided in ghettoes, just like the US now. Cities were divided by guild, religion, social status, etc...and those that did not want to live in a ghetto inside the wall built their house outside (bourg).

Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,640 times
there are ghettos in Europe. Ghetto doesnt mean that people get shot 24/7.

but ghettos in Europe are generally in the suburbs instead of innercities (Malmö, Sweden is a notable example and one has some of the worst ghettos in Europe)

There is also diffrent kinds of ghettos in each country. In the UK not even the police have guns and its VERY rare that criminals have to. (dispte what wannabe gangasters in UK often try to paint)

Ive been traveling alot in Europe but i feel i can only speak for where i live (sofielund malmö).
First of all Sweden is one of the most legally armed countries, i for example have own a glock 34, AR 15 assault rifle and a benelli semi auto shotgun. But legal firearms in Sweden is barley a problem even tho is happens that people owning them use them in murders. there is a hugh amount of illigal firearms mostly from eastern europe. Yugos countries to be specific.

The police just said in TV that guns like tokarev, zavasta (spelling) submachin guns, and many AK 47 variants is very easy to get a hold of. A journalist from a big newspaper wanted to find out how easy it was to get a weapon in Malmö so he went there an within two hours he got two semi auto pistols and alot more offers, and AK 47 from example.

I live in a so called Ghetto (sofielund) and i hear BOMBS exploding and people shoting when im sitting at home watching TV all the time... criminals bomb night clubs and pubs of rivaling gangs. and even criminal courts accually. 10 years ago i would say you were ridiculus if you called any place in Sweden a ghetto but i dont think that anymore... Last year Malmö had the honor of being the "bomb capital" of europe. Meaning that is the city where most bombs explode

And to the guy who said they dont deal drugs here.. What are you talking about? two streets south of my appartment they are dealing hard drugs openly on the streat and two streets north there are streetprostitution and a "gypsytown" made of tent-like "houses".

Swedish media is to PC to cover this so i saw in a Norwegian newspaper where some reported visited the part where i live. Police dont go there just in one partol car they need several and armed by not the regular Sig Sauer p226 but sub.guns.

With all this said American and south armerican ghettos are alot worse.

Edit: Not only is Rosengård a city district but so is Sofielund. Its even more central with a five min walk to the cirt center.
Or Rosengård was a distric and Sofielund was a neighberhood belonging to södra innerstaden (South innercity or South central in English) They change name on the distircts tho because some have very bad reputation in Sweden and now also outside Sweden apparantly since there where someone in this threadsfrom Maryland US who mentioned it. Barack Obama visited Malmö to see the rise of antisemesism in Malmö by the muslim population. They are adviced not to show any jewish symbols because they will be threaten or even attacked on the steet. (we have alot of Middle easterners here who have experience from the war down there)

Heres a youtube clip from a Swedish documentry. its mostly in swedish but there is an American jew explaing the situation. he says he would never go to rosengård cause he fear for his life. [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAx9j8cLMlI[/url]

NOTE!!!!! I dont blame the immigrants. its understandable that they dont like jews although i dont think its right. and crime is a poverty issue not a race issue. Most of my friends are immigrants ofcourse since there are more immigrants then Swedens where i live. I also like arab girls :P have had ONS with them and have EX girlfriends so im not bashing arabs or immigrants.
And this is not a We tougher then [insert random euro ghetto] Braging i just dont know enough of other places. And dispite lots of shotings and bombs murders i still far as common here as in USA although we have more reported crime then the US in SWEDEN.
New york for example have more murders but the crime rate in Malmö is alot higher. Mugging, assault and rape is common crimes here.

I still love Malmö tho esspecially my fotboll team Malmö FF <3 i hope it will get better here but for the near future it will probably get alot worse. when i get kids i will not live here. I will more the one of the nice suburbs and probably move back when they move out. This is mostly because of drugs not because i think the will be in the line of fire and get shot. But i grew up here and i got alot of problems with drugs from an early age. Meth, coke, opiates, benzos MDMA you name it. this is also one of the many reason why Malmö has become what it is.

But dont get me wrong you wont risk your life just by living in Malmö most people dont get shot obviosly. But you should definetly stay out of some areas if you dont live there or know how to act and sadly if you are white. (im white but i grew up here)

Last edited by alibabababa; 03-10-2015 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 05:47 PM

687 posts, read 915,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Sorry, but no.

Ghetto, as we are dealing here, is a place were you have a very HIGH probability of being SHOT by a superobese crackhead whose remote ancestors were African and English for the most part.

Nobody is speaking about the historical definition of ghetto, if that was the case, then the US would be 100 percent ghetto since everything is divided in ghettos (social, ethnical, economic, religious, sexual orientation, age, etc).

In fact, if you want to analyse it historically, ghettoes have been decreasing in Europe since the Middle Ages. During the Middle Ages, European cities and large towns were divided in ghettoes, just like the US now. Cities were divided by guild, religion, social status, etc...and those that did not want to live in a ghetto inside the wall built their house outside (bourg).
The term you are looking for is: Quarters, as in "Jewish Quarter, Christian Quarter, etc". Common more in large Middle Eastern cities (Damascus, Baghdad, Cairo, etc.) than in Europe which became very homogenous from 1,000 on, although with plenty of population migrations.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:54 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibabababa View Post
Malmö, Sweden is a notable example and one has some of the worst ghettos in Europe)
Don't be daft. Go to Naples, Marseille, Glasgow, Gronzy, Moscow, Kiev, Donetsk, Belgrade, Sofia, Mitrovica, Palermo, Yerevan, Kharkiv, Paris, Ajaccio, London or Belfast and tell me Malmo is dangerous

Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibabababa View Post
there are ghettos in Europe. Ghetto doesnt mean that people get shot 24/7.

but ghettos in Europe are generally in the suburbs instead of innercities (Malmö, Sweden is a notable example and one has some of the worst ghettos in Europe)

But dont get me wrong you wont risk your life just by living in Malmö most people dont get shot obviosly. But you should definetly stay out of some areas if you dont live there or know how to act and sadly if you are white. (im white but i grew up here)
Thanks for your post i'd rep you twice for this if i could. Yes, there are ghettos in Europe and for people from other parts of the world visiting here for hollidays or work, there are defenitely areas they should stay far away from.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Don't be daft. Go to Naples, Marseille, Glasgow, Gronzy, Moscow, Kiev, Donetsk, Belgrade, Sofia, Mitrovica, Palermo, Yerevan, Kharkiv, Paris, Ajaccio, London or Belfast and tell me Malmo is dangerous
So.. after the Europe - USA ghetto competition you wanna start a Europe - Europe ghetto competion??

He just said Malmo has some of the worst ghettos. And even said he could only speak for his situation

Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
This ghetto word should be reserved for Slums and the most crime riddled inner city areas in the USA. After all the word ghetto is most assigned to inner city areas in the US like Chicago, Detroit, NYC (before it got better), Baltimore etc.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
He just said Malmo has some of the worst ghettos. And even said he could only speak for his situation
But I can say my city is bad from my situation but would never claim it is among the worst in Europe lol

Last edited by paull805; 03-12-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe