Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 AM

228 posts, read 367,353 times

Advertisements

I've met some Spaniards and they didn't seem loud or rude, though they did tend to talk really fast.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:45 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,160 times
Despite the saying De Espanha nem bons ventos nem bons casamentos, good overall.

Liberal, happy, friendly, proud, arrogant, loud, confident.
They drive better than we Portuguese, they party until later, and they eat more fried food.

They make good cinema, good literature, but not so good music.
Vuelta a Espana is better than the Tour but worst than the Giro.

Portugal and Spain kind of ignore each other, (for example not many Portuguese can name a Spanish writer apart from Cervantes or Lope de Vega, that's not normal for such close countries), but I think Spain, specially Madrid, is getting more popular here, I had lots of friends that went to Madrid in this New Year's eve.

Spain also has in my opinion the most beautiful mid-sized cities in Europe on average. Léon, Salamanca, Ávila, Segovia, Toledo, Cáceres, Vitória, Lugo, Ponferrada, Burgos, dozens of beautiful cities, so they make good planers/architects, plus they keep them very clean.

Last edited by tarzan_taborda; 01-04-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 03:58 PM

363 posts, read 479,829 times
Spanish culture from a Norwegian point of view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Ms1oCiDH4

Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravidica View Post
Jermuk, you didn´t offend me; I just didn´t know what you mean.

One of the things that I dislike about my culture is the lack of respect of individuality and personal space. I had to often deal with personal questions asked in public, for example.

Also in Spain if someone dresses in a non-conventional way, it very common to hear comments from random people. "I wouldn´t let my daughter dress like that", "If it was my sister I would be really ashamed" etc.
We don't have much of the first one here, think god, since I'm quite introverted, but the bolded part is very common here as well, and I suspect worse than in Spain.

Nice video from Norway, spanish sounds nicer spoken by a norwegian.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Spanish culture from a Norwegian point of view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Ms1oCiDH4
It's not Spaniard culture, but Mexican one.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:08 PM

And what is your opinion of the british Dravidica?

Old 01-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
I would have to say I agree with him. However, I think things are slowly changing for the better since we joined the EU.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 PM

595 posts, read 719,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
It's not Spaniard culture, but Mexican one.
What's Mexican about this song, other than the name?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I've met a few Spaniards and most have been friendly.

I also look at it from a cultural standpoint of what the Spaniards did in the Americas versus what the English did. I'm working right now in Arequipa, Peru and I don't think the British built a city with as much architectural beauty as the Spaniards in the Americas including here. But the Brits established the law with liberty and property rights that have allowed their colonies to prosper where the former Spanish colonies have largely floundered civilly and economically.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 AM

10 posts, read 39,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
It is very hard for me to have a general opinion of the British people, because it is much more individualistic than Spain.
The things that I prefer about the English is that they are much more open-minded than Spaniards. You can be an individual in Britain with no side-effects. In Spain if you lead a non-convential lifestyle you get labelled easily even before people get to know you.
Another thing that I like is general politeness, in Spain encountering rudeness or inappropiate personal comments from strangers is not uncommon.
The customer service is far better in the UK too; in Spain people don´t tend to hide their feelings and in many cases you are treated as if they don´t want you there. Aslo sometimes the workers tak to each other while ignoring the clients that are waiting.

On the flip side I did notice a lot more sexism in the UK, especially when it comes to children. I noticed that in virtually every bookstore toy shops there is a "boy" and "girl" section. There is some of that in Spain, but no so evident and not in every shop. And I have never seen a separate section for the sexes in the Spanish bookstores.

And not just about shops I aslo noticed the sexism in the two families I stayed with as an au pair. For exampe within the last family I heard sexist comments often. For example, the daughter couldn´t skip showering, but the boy could because "he´s a boy". Also the mother was planning on sending the boy to boarding school at 11, but the girl didn´t have to.
Well, I know it is not representative of the whole of Britain or England, but that was my experience.

Aslo the British people are more brand-conscius in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe