Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM

420 posts, read 704,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
The British do share the same DNA with the Irish, roughly 80%.. whether from county Wexford or Essex county. FACT. This is the dominant DNA of the USA, not Germany, which was a collection of states up to the 1900`s and not really a country. Though I do admire Germany, I still think Bavaria has its own borders and I would love to go there. The Germans too have substantial Celtic DNA. Britain was Britannia, in Roman times, and pre-dates that back to Stonehenge. The British people are BRYTHONIC. The ancient druid name could mean, THE TIN ISLANDS, due to the tin mining in Cornwall, ( Kernow). We are an ancient green island, very spiritual, like Ireland. WE do have Iberian DNA, basically Spanish mark 2 !Though due to the weatherand mists we are more blue/green eyed and brown haired, but not many real blondes in the UK ( mostly dyed). Anglo-Saxon is a Germanic myth to bolster a purity agenda, yet our DNA suggests, no proves, that only 20,000 warriors max, not their wives came to these shores, and married British/Celtic women.
Might I also add us Asian Americans are all direct descendants of Genghis Khan. True story!

But seriously, in my experience with white AND black Americans, if they tend to emphasize or be proud of anything it is of Native American culture. For the most part in the areas where I have lived (Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and now Ohio) people are more fascinated with what tribe their great grandmother is supposedly from than what European country their great grandfather may have come from. If I had a nickel for every time I have heard someone say something about their Cherokee/Sioux heritage (it is usually one of the two) I would be set up for retirement.

That being said, I have yet to travel to the east coast, and my impression is that they are more aware of their European roots, but that is because they have not strayed very far out from their culture. And while they may identify with being European, of course it is more American nowadays. South Boston comes to mind, where my impression is that of predominately Irish neighborhoods, who's families intermingled with each other, and basically kept their Irish roots as much as one can outside of Ireland. I think it is similiar with Italian-Americans on the East coast as well... and lets not forget our Amish people, who don't even prefer to speak English (Pennsylvanian German), and in fact refer to all modern people as English.

That's just the impression I get, from the little exposure I have had. If others know better, then I stand corrected.

And FOR SURE you are NOT going to be seeing any WWE t-shirt wearing, NASCAR watching red blooded American tout their European heritage, or even come close to thinking of themselves as having an inkling of Europe in them. Trust me on how laughable the idea is.

Last edited by Pansori; 01-09-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Me? Well, I'm just me and strive to keep happy about it. Doesn't matter what "race" I am. I relate to people, not ethnicities (Americans of all sorts, Europeans from Europe, Asians from Asia, Africans from Africa, whatever).

That said, perceptions of each other do tend to influence the scope (breadth and depth) of interaction among the US ethnicities. The crappy way we (well, whites especially but others to a certain extent) treated the slaves for centuries, plus another 100 years of legally enforced segregation cannot help but create different cultures. Different cultures have different ways of looking at the world, and even different codes of etiquette in some cases. Add the glaring wealth, education, and occupation disparity that still persists even to this day (although to gradually decreasing extents) and that more or less invites the attitude of "them" and "us". By the time we grow out of this mess (if we ever do), our descendants will be looking at the next century. All we today can do is, if nothing else, keep it from backsliding.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Why is the OP obsessing about hair colour and eye colour as well as facial features and claiming that Germans and British people do not look nothing alike in external appearance in the threadHow are Black hair w/ Brown eyes viewed in Europe? (curiosity) How is blonde hair seen in Southern Europe?

Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I'd say the history of Europe and even the laws especially modern laws seem to indicate a racial problem. racism is common around the world just like culturalism that is often mistake for it.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Mostly descendants of and native Southern Europeans trying to prove to Northern Europeans that they are as "European" as they are. Particularly Iberians and Italians.
Yet almost all racial theories and supremacist groups and theories came from Northern/Central Europe (not that Southern, Northern etc means anything by the way).
There weren't that many Germans or Swede lynched in the welcoming South of pre-Civil rights US.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I think it's that a lot of americans don't realize that no matter how much 100% italian, irish, swedish or whatever else their ancestors that landed in the US were, those ancestors carry a wide variety of racial mixing to begin with...
I don't think the 'relatively few' Americans who identify with some European heritage really care about the DNA. It's all about the CULTURE of that father or mother who hails from that particular European country.

Let's put it this way, if you were to suddenly move to the U.S., marry an American, and have a family. Would you completely deny/ignore/stop talking about Sweden (or whatever country you hail from in Europe), and cease to ever mention it again? If you do mention it from time to time, your kids WILL REMEMBER it, and will have some kind of identification with that CULTURE (Not the DNA) of that parent. I can 100% guarantee that to some degree, you will talk about how Swedes do something that is different from Americans, and your kids will identify to some degree with some of what you talk about.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
polar bear hunting makes you more inclined to be agile in races?

Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM

338 posts, read 335,079 times
Moving to the USA and becoming a citizen means exchanging your racial identity for just being a human, and their kids won't get to choose whether they want to identify with a race/ethnicity or not, they are just "people" not French or Vietnamese, they are just "people". I am just a person, I am not a member of any group, nope, just born as a mixed race american without automatically belonging to a group. Would you Europeans mind becoming just a "person"?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd say the history of Europe and even the laws especially modern laws seem to indicate a racial problem. racism is common around the world just like culturalism that is often mistake for it.
Care to elaborate?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post
You can see It all over the board and in the Internet. It's often americans, aussies, anglo-canadians, etc who love to talk about hair/eye/skin color ,ethnicity, racial status, racial-hierarchy and often display quite conservative ideas about race and ethnicity.

I wonder why some people live so worried about European future when they dont even share the same mindset, culture and view of life as most europeans. I'd say a turkish guy living in germany is much more european mentally-wise than a typical american wearing a wwe shirt and attending to NASCAR every other weekend.

your thought on this?
Who the heck uses the term colonials lol - seriously that is so 150 years ago... Nobody in Canada EVER refers to themselves as colonials and we see that as a term that should only be applied in historical terms.. The colonials as some would like to put it have soooo moved on - the mother country should as well lol...

The rest I think is embellished. Most White English Canadians only share history and traditional values with Europe.. I'd say culturally and socially we are more similar to Americans though there are HUGE regional differences.. There are very few English Canadians interested in Nascar - Hockey on the other hand yes is big here.

I have no desire to talk about my hair, skin or eye colour other than if the topic is to describe how I look - in no way in any form of superiority either racially, culturally or socially..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe