Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 AM

109 posts, read 235,569 times

Advertisements

You can see It all over the board and in the Internet. It's often americans, aussies, anglo-canadians, etc who love to talk about hair/eye/skin color ,ethnicity, racial status, racial-hierarchy and often display quite conservative ideas about race and ethnicity.

I wonder why some people live so worried about European future when they dont even share the same mindset, culture and view of life as most europeans. I'd say a turkish guy living in germany is much more european mentally-wise than a typical american wearing a wwe shirt and attending to NASCAR every other weekend.

your thought on this?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
I totally agree. I've posted on this topic several times as well.

There is also a tendency for many white North Americans to feel a greater cultural kinship with white Europeans than with non-white North Americans (2nd generation and higher). This seems totally illogical to me. If you query them on this, you'll never get a straight answer because it's not something they've thought about. Some will even admit that their assumptions have no merit, although most will attempt to deflect it.

North American Caucasians need to accept that they have diverged culturally from their European cousins and that their future lies in being proud of their national identities as Americans or Canadians (same goes for Aussie or Kiwi). They need to embrace their own non-white citizens as "them", no ifs and buts.

I had a white Canadian on the CBC message board tell me that white people were "his people" and that is exactly the kind of divisive screwed-up mentality that obstructs the forging of a national identity.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Maybe because they have so many non-whites there?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:23 AM

215 posts, read 390,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post
You can see It all over the board and in the Internet. It's often americans, aussies, anglo-canadians, etc who love to talk about hair/eye/skin color ,ethnicity, racial status, racial-hierarchy and often display quite conservative ideas about race and ethnicity.

I wonder why some people live so worried about European future when they dont even share the same mindset, culture and view of life as most europeans. I'd say a turkish guy living in germany is much more european mentally-wise than a typical american wearing a wwe shirt and attending to NASCAR every other weekend.

your thought on this?
despite what you seem to think, the majority of Americans who wear wwe t-shirts and attend NASCAR every weekend actually don't give a crap about Europe or it's future.

Most of those type of conservative White Americans are more concerned with America's future than anyone else.

and they'd laugh at you if you told them they were European-American or something like that since they only see themselves as being just American or just white people in America.

the only Americans who actually talk as if they are concerned with the politics or racial population of modern Europe at the ones you find on stormfront.

Most conservative white americans care only about their own situation in America not anyone else's.

I've never heard anyone at a NASCAR race complain about all of the Turkish immigrants taking over Germany or anything.

So, most Americans really don't give a crap about Europe in the sense you are talking about.

except maybe vaguely.

or unless they plan to move there which most don't ever. or even think about it ever.
or ever want to.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM

215 posts, read 390,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I totally agree. I've posted on this topic several times as well.

There is also a tendency for many white North Americans to feel a greater cultural kinship with white Europeans than with non-white North Americans (2nd generation and higher). This seems totally illogical to me. If you query them on this, you'll never get a straight answer because it's not something they've thought about. Some will even admit that their assumptions have no merit, although most will attempt to deflect it.

North American Caucasians need to accept that they have diverged culturally from their European cousins and that their future lies in being proud of their national identities as Americans or Canadians (same goes for Aussie or Kiwi). They need to embrace their own non-white citizens as "them", no ifs and buts.

I had a white Canadian on the CBC message board tell me that white people were "his people" and that is exactly the kind of divisive screwed-up mentality that obstructs the forging of a national identity.
yeah but the overall culture of places like America, Australia, NZ etc... came from Western Europe and it was not that long ago in terms of history

it really wasn't

so American culture hasn't diverged from Western European or British culture that much.

politically it has but not neccesarily culturally.

despite what you or people like the OP think even an African American has a lot more in common culturally with a White western European than with someone from modern day Liberia or Sierra Leone.

not racially but culturally they do.

it's just western culture and the people who came from it.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Mostly descendants of and native Southern Europeans trying to prove to Northern Europeans that they are as "European" as they are. Particularly Iberians and Italians.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM

11 posts, read 12,603 times
I guess that after been "deep-formatted" to become Americans, they need some for of identification. After deep-formatting and hundreds of name changes, they only have what they see in the mirror. Just my five cents.

Not the case of very recent immigrants, or modern immigrants, that have not lost their identity.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
yeah but the overall culture of places like America, Australia, NZ etc... came from Western Europe and it was not that long ago in terms of history

it really wasn't

so American culture hasn't diverged from Western European or British culture that much.

politically it has but not neccesarily culturally.

despite what you or people like the OP think even an African American has a lot more in common culturally with a White western European than with someone from modern day Liberia or Sierra Leone.

not racially but culturally they do.

it's just western culture and the people who came from it.

Any educated African from Sierra Leone or Liberia has more in common culturally with Europe that a NASCAR enthusiast.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post

Um, that is EXACTLY the point I made. I went further and indicated that within Western culture (such a broad term), there is Euro culture and then there is American culture, and an African-American and a white American are closer to each other than the white American is to the European.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:08 PM

Western culture is all around the world, Latin America, large regions of Asia and Africa, the entire world practically. European culture is present only in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe