Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:06 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post
Most dutch are dark blond/light brown in adulthood just like most germanics in Scandinavia and germany(and quite a lot have medium/light blond, more than you would imagine). The difference is that scandinavia and netherlands have higher amount of lighter blondes and smaller amount of dark brown haired people than germany (unless its in upper northern germany, lets say lower saxony or east friesland, where its more similar to scandinvia or the netherlands than central/southern germany)

It also depends of what do you classify as being blonde, greek definition of blonde surely differs from what people in denmark considers blonde.

didnt you see those adult grown men from denmark in the pictures? they might not be 99% of blonde, but blonde shades predominate, and even a large amount have medium/light blonde hair alone. The women would be even blonder, due to longer hair effect /plus sun bleach.

And with encounter, did you personally visit those countries.. and if you did.. did you go to the little towns small-middle cities where 80/90%+ are natives? If not then your opinion has little value.

And the UK is definitely darker haired than Germany, in germany you have a huge base of people who have lighbrown/dark blond just like philip lahm or toni kroos, meanwhile in the UK the bulk of the population have more of a mousy hair color or dark brown depending on the area. In the UK blonde hair arrived just by migration.. in germany it was easier the blonde mutation ocuured in upper north germany, denmark and southern scandinavia so Its naturally it reached central/southern germany or even austria fairly easy.. the only natural geographic barieer were the alps.. which explains why below the alps people are considerably darker.
Firstly you got to watch how you write. Mousy hair only means pale or light brown with grayish undertones, this is said to be the most common hair colour of British Isles adults, it's also similar in color to European populations in the Netherlands and most of Germany. In none of those countries, is blonde hair in the majority, but it is common. Now the frequency of blonde hair varies depending on regions within those countries, in Germany and the Netherlands, blondes are traditionally commonest in the north for example in Groningen and Friesland in the case for the Netherlands. While in Britain and Ireland, blonde hair is traditionally commonest in the eastern regions than in western ones. Immigrant populations and migration have somewhat blurred those differences today. The majority of people of those countries are usually light-eyed (blue, green, hazel). Dark-haired people are of course found in these populations, not only in Britain and Ireland, but also in the Netherlands and Germany, only in a foolish Nazi ideologist mind they're not. In fact old anthropologists have remarked a relatively high frequency of dark brown hair among the northern German populations of the Fehmarn Island which lies in the Baltic Sea, off the eastern coast of Schleswig-Holstein.From the Middle Ages Until 1864, Fehmarn and most of Schleswig-Holstein belonged to the Danish crown, before the Prussians (Germans) took over. There were Kelts in Britain, Belgium, northern France, southern Netherlands who were blonde-haired, long before the major Germanic invasions of Franks, Jutes, Saxons and Angles. It is true that however in the case of Scandinavians, blonde hair is somehow in the majority.

Last edited by saxonwold; 01-30-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 04:51 PM

80 posts, read 162,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Easy to understand why, because of the very pale skin that we red heads have.
not sure if that's the reason let the aussie explain. gingers are pale and I say ginger because that's a popular term. this Irish man proved my point of the Icelandic type I skin. in Iceland we don't tan and if I see a tan person you can tell she has a fake tan. tanning is not our past time.

you can be the darkest and palest country because one person or one type doesn't represent all of Iceland. Ireland has southern European looking people more so than other European countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV2WgAzLhc

I would like to see your skin color. I have hard time believing your actually really pale.

I know albinos are far whiter than gingers . I know a albino. he is extremely white.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
^^
People forget to mention the frequency of the red-hair allele in Wales. I'm pretty sure it's as high there as it is in Scotland.

I think the above family is beautiful, BTW. I love that coloring.
Rugby is most likely Wales most popular sport.

Red-headed Welsh rugby players .

See the reddish hair amongst these Welsh children.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,310 times
Quote:
Rugby is most likely Wales most popular sport.

Red-headed Welsh rugby players .

See the reddish hair amongst these Welsh children.

I've been to wales to see rugby matches and they are very good. do you play rugby since you show many rugby pics.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICELANDICVIKING View Post
not sure if that's the reason let the aussie explain. gingers are pale and I say ginger because that's a popular term. this Irish man proved my point of the Icelandic type I skin. in Iceland we don't tan and if I see a tan person you can tell she has a fake tan. tanning is not our past time.

you can be the darkest and palest country because one person or one type doesn't represent all of Iceland. Ireland has southern European looking people more so than other European countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV2WgAzLhc

I would like to see your skin color. I have hard time believing your actually really pale.

I know albinos are far whiter than gingers . I know a albino. he is extremely white.
You cannot be the palest and darkest country, only on individual basis you can. As a whole the Irish have the lightest skin types. I see that you really lack knowledge. Albinos are not much lighter, there are albinos who have red or orange-like hair too. Outside of albinism which is a disorder, comes those people who are red-haired or have red-hair genes. For your quote, "Ireland has more Southern European-looking people more so than other European countries", is a joke! How can a population which has a higher frequency of light skin types than Scandinavians be Southern European? Sounds like nonsense to me or like the OP. Isn't Southern Europe in Europe too? I advise you to check your writing before posting, because sometimes you don't make sense. I understand that English is not your first language.
The Genome-wide association study (GWAS) done in 2012, study of pigmentation in four European countries (Ireland, Poland, Italy, Portugal), concluded that the Irish were over-all lighter-skinned, lighter-haired and lighter-eyed than the rest. So your "Ireland has more Southern European-looking people" is nothing but a myth and not any scientifically proven.
Anthropological studies results done earlier on the Irish in the 30's showed firstly that out of 10,000 people from all over the Emerald Isle surveyed that only 43 people had pure brown eyes, the rest were principally blue-eyed and others had usually light eye colors. That is definitely not Southern European, where most people are dark-eyed.
Secondly, it is also a myth that people who combine jet black hair, brown eyes, a small, slender build like the Italians. Out of 10,000 Irish folks, only 33 people were put in that category.

I guess you've been watching too much youtube videos, stick to facts.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white hair View Post
I've been to wales to see rugby matches and they are very good. do you play rugby since you show many rugby pics.
Yep, I played rugby for at least seven years in high school and college.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Yes, in the U.K., red heads are at times discriminated against, and kids bullied at school, simply because they have red hair. This could be linked to the hatred that the Anglo-Saxon invaders had for the native Kelts whom they called "Welsh" or "foreigner". Or rather the hatred the English had for the Irish, you know during the struggle. People with red hair in the U.K., were many times erroneously tagged as "Irish". There are other factors, such as myths as well. Now with the advancement of science and population genetics, we have found out that many of Brits who are hating on the red heads whom they are calling "gingers" are actually also potential carriers of the red hair gene. This means they could have children who are red heads, even if they don't have red hair. Actually according to the ScottishDNA Project led by Alistair Moffat, the evolution for red hair was a good one, it was a response to the adaptation of gloomy climates of North-West Europe. A lighter skin was more beneficial in order to absorb faster Vitamin D which is quite essential for our health. Since, we know that the climate of particularly of northern Britain is quite gloomy in most of the year, very little sunshine. It was advantageous in primitive times for those with red hair since they usually are lighter-skinned than the average. On the Norwegians, Swedes, Danes who are for pratical reason, let say predominantly blonde-haired, blue-eyed and fair-skinned people, are still more prone to tan the Celts. Their lands as a whole enjoy more sunshine per year than that of the Scots or the Irish in particular. Red hair being a very recessive trait genetically, usually mask itself under dark hair too, this mean a person with dark hair could be a carrier of the red hair gene, that gene many times is expressed in the very light skin tone ("milky-white) which is prone to freckle and burn instead of tanning when exposed to intense UV light. People of such coloring are frequent in the Celtic populations. On the other hand, here in the U.S., Canada red heads are not so discriminated against, many times rather loved. I don't know why, this could also be linked to a high proportion of the population being of Irish descent, maybe or not. I'm not sure. I did not face discrimination for being a red head as some kids would in Britain, perhaps, because I was one of the strongest kids. I've heard of others being teased but nothing alarming.
Here is an interesting comparison for average hours of sunshine per year between Europe and the US:

Note Norway being similar to the UK, while Sweden is sunnier. I always noted Swedes' ability to tan better, and wonder if this is partially why.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,310 times
Do not bring Albinos into this. WE are the whitest people but there is no need to bring us up because were so rare.

Icelandic Viking are you from Reykjavík.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:09 AM

Icelandic Viking are you from Reykjavík.[/quote]

yes I'm from Reykjavík

Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Here is an interesting comparison for average hours of sunshine per year between Europe and the US:

Note Norway being similar to the UK, while Sweden is sunnier. I always noted Swedes' ability to tan better, and wonder if this is partially why.

the map looks accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe