Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 03:55 PM

595 posts, read 719,447 times

Advertisements

The point is that Portugal was not close to being over run by Muslims in 1900, not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 03:58 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaut View Post
"..cut and paste" NOT .. sure what you are talking about .. Google it. You saying that Our Blessed Mother Mary did not appear in 1917 ? .. just trying to be clear where the heck you are coming from .. and what's your point?
I know the history quite well was brought up Catholic and I'm Portuguese. Whether it occurred or not doesn't matter those that believe think so and those that don't believe don't care. You mentioned after the apparition out respect the Muslims that lived in Portugal either left or converted. FYI there were no Muslims in Portugal in 1917. Can you find any reliable source to support that or that Portugal was getting close to be overtaken by Islam. Pure nonsense.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Portugal because of Salazar was poor and not a destination for immigrants until recently.

But like any other place in Western Europe, of course it gets immigrants from all over the world these days.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 AM

419 posts, read 342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaut View Post
Portugal was under Islamic Rule for over 500 years. In the early 1900's it was close to being over run by Muslims. In 1917 Our Lady Of Fatima appeared to three children, witnessed by thousands, and confirmed by the Catholic Church. Fatima was the name of Mohammad's daughter, whom he said was most blessed, after the Virgin Mary. Our Blessed Mother Mary is mentioned more times in the Qur'an than the Bible. After Her appearance in Fatima, many Muslims converted to Catholicism or left the country (out of respect). Today Portugal is less than 1% Muslim. Thank you Blessed Mother Mary.
Is this real? ? Can any Portuguese person confirm and post any relevant source?

Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 AM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
Is this real? ? Can any Portuguese person confirm and post any relevant source?
It's a real case of trolling, I can confirm that.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:10 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Over here there are no free benefits: if you don't work you don't eat, no free housing for refugees, a low standard of living for low qualified workers and surprisingly no people from middle earth that settle here. They sometimes do pass through here on their journey for the greener pastures in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France or Scandinavia. Perhaps Portugal is somewhat similar to where I live now.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,562 times
The idea that Portugal was nearing a Muslim majority in 1917 before they all left or converted to Catholicism after a magical appearance of some Saint is one of the most bizarre claims I've ever read.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:49 PM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Over here there are no free benefits:
Not true. There are benefits, free healthcare, unemployment insurance, supplemental income etc
Quote:
if you don't work you don't eat
No one starves in Portugal, unless they chose to. Not everyone works, however.
Quote:
no free housing for refugees
Refugees were received in Portugal, they were given free accommodation and food. Some chose to go elsewhere because they prefer to go places where larger communities of their fellow countrymen live, or where they believe they will be given more for nothing in return.
Quote:
a low standard of living for low qualified workers
Find me a single country where your statement doesn't apply.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Not true. There are benefits, free healthcare, unemployment insurance, supplemental income etc

I don't live in Portugal but in another country where refugees and others from Middle-earth don't want to stay because in their perception Germany, Sweden and the like are better for them.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
The idea that Portugal was nearing a Muslim majority in 1917 before they all left or converted to Catholicism after a magical appearance of some Saint is one of the most bizarre claims I've ever read.
I born and raised a Catholic in the U.S. I was a Catholic when an image of Our Lady of Fatima toured the world and heard all the woo-woo over and over again about the Fatima apparitions and cult. And I moved to Portugal twenty years ago.

In all of that background nothing ever reached the height of lunacy contained in that posting...."bizarre claims" is a kind characterization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe