Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM

44 posts, read 43,350 times

Advertisements

Marseille, great, Napoli's twin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:01 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I found Toulouse where I was last week surprisingly clean (probably due to the recent election of a moderate conservative mayor), much cleaner than the Paris suburbs - which are becoming more and more of a garbage dump (as some parts of Paris - not the touristy spots, usually clean).

Old 06-23-2015, 05:50 AM

62 posts, read 87,939 times
I'm not surprised. Paris is one of the dirtiest french city where I've been !

Old 06-23-2015, 08:17 AM

181 posts, read 231,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN GENNARU View Post
Marseille, great, Napoli's twin.
Lol. Naples could only dream of the high-tech and engineering sectors of Marseille. The GDP per capita of the Marseille metro area is double that of Naples.

Marseille is richer than Turin and Florence, and almost as rich Rome.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Lol. Naples could only dream of the high-tech and engineering sectors of Marseille. The GDP per capita of the Marseille metro area is double that of Naples.

Marseille is richer than Turin and Florence, and almost as rich Rome.
I think he/she was saying that Marseille and Naples are similar in terms of apperence and reputation (dangerous port cities) not in terms of economy. Don't need to get all nationalistic. BTW, French cities are not the richest in Europe.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Marseille is more similar to Barcelona than to Naples.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I think he/she was saying that Marseille and Naples are similar in terms of apperence and reputation (dangerous port cities) not in terms of economy. Don't need to get all nationalistic. BTW, French cities are not the richest in Europe.

I don't think that's what he/she said, really.

But Marseille suck IMHO.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:16 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Marseille is more similar to Barcelona than to Naples.
Barcelona looks way cleaner and wealthy than Marseille IMO. Another league really. Marseille is not full of tourists and you don't hear all european languages in the metro (yet). This is not the ultimate Erasmus destination.

Marseille is probably where Barcelona was 30 years ago.

I definitely get the Naples - Marseille connection because Marseille is full of Napolitan immigrants to begin with, and both have that chaotic and messy kind of beauty, but Marseille has gotten wealthier in the recent years. Or at least it looks like it.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:17 PM

Marseille's GDP per capita is higher than Barcelona's. Fact.

And as for Erasmus, that's because the universities are located in Aix, not in Marseille proper. Duh!

Napolitan immigrants in Marseille?? The Italian immigrants in Marseille were predominantly from the north (Piedmont and Tuscany especially).

See for example:

Or this:

Last edited by SuomiReader; 06-24-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Marseille seems less wealthy though. The wealthy part is outside in Aix, that is not Marseille.

Barcelona feels much less mediterranean and southern to me, it reminds me more of some areas in Southern France, the sea/harbour has less importance than in Marseille.

And there were definitely napolitans there, I believe they came to work as dockers. For instance the music composer Vincent Scotto has family from Procida Island, just outside of Naples. I have a friend who comes from there, Scotto is a name from the area. I believe writer Jean Claude Izzo also had southern Italian origins, that is not a northern Italian name.

In the end I believe there were Italians from many parts of the country in Marseille.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe