Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I can't believe an uni student can earn 1408 Euros per month. The world is so unfair.
My daughter took a summer job this year at Apple and earned over $4,100 per month. She is in her junior year at college working on her bachelors degree. Life is worse than you thought. It took me a few years after college to hit that pay level equivalency. My Son was earning over $30K per year right out of high school with zero college. All those wasted years of threatening that he would be digging ditches and mowing grass for a living if he didn't get his degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That isn't a lot of money. A PhD student in the U.S. would generally make more.

Speaking very generally, European incomes are less skewed than in the U.S.. So the low income earners earn more than in the U.S., but the skilled professionals earn much less. It depends on your position.
But wouldn't a PhD student have to pay tuition fees in an American uni? I mean, American unis are really expensive.
And yeah, I know, professionals earn a lot more in the US, like a hell lot more.

Quote:
My daughter took a summer job this year at Apple and earned over $4,100 per month. She is in her junior year at college working on her bachelors degree. Life is worse than you thought. It took me a few years after college to hit that pay level equivalency. My Son was earning over $30K per year right out of high school with zero college. All those wasted years of threatening that he would be digging ditches and mowing grass for a living if he didn't get his degree.
I was mostly comparing Europe and the **** wages here. I'm aware of the fact that America doesn't have this kind of (depressing) low salary problem.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:44 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Quote:
But wouldn't a PhD student have to pay tuition fees in an American uni? I mean, American unis are really expensive.
And yeah, I know, professionals earn a lot more in the US, like a hell lot more.

I was mostly comparing Europe and the **** wages here. I'm aware of the fact that America doesn't have this kind of (depressing) low salary problem.
it depends on the PhD.

PhDs in math, science and engineering are almost always paid a small stipend and have free tuition, in exchange for research and teaching duties. It's a similar situation for PhDs in other subjects, and also depends on the school. For example my sister did a PhD in a social science at an Ivy League school and it was all paid for.

A "for pay" PhD is usually a bad idea. However, there's a global trend to milk rich foreigners via the higher education system.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:49 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
As an (phd) doctoral student you're already a post-degree (master) "student". You're already graduated and the university has to employ you as an employee. We don't have many stipends, so you have to be employed. And at least in Finland you can't just go for doctoral education before you have worked in "real" life.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
it depends on the PhD.

PhDs in math, science and engineering are almost always paid a small stipend and have free tuition, in exchange for research and teaching duties. It's a similar situation for PhDs in other subjects, and also depends on the school. For example my sister did a PhD in a social science at an Ivy League school and it was all paid for.

A "for pay" PhD is usually a bad idea. However, there's a global trend to milk rich foreigners via the higher education system.
Ok.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
PhD students in the U.S. generally pay nothing. It's undergraduate students and masters-level students that will pay full tuition if they are financially sound. PhD students are more like "employees" in the U.S. than "students", as they are generally required to teach (and are, of course, paid for teaching).

When you hear those stories about amassing huge educational debt in the U.S., it's usually from professional schools, like medical school, law school, business school, etc. But if you're on an academic track, most programs are free, and come with paid teaching assistant positions.

Speaking very generally, the professional schools subsidize the PhD programs, and financial aid for less well off in the undergraduate and masters levels.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with economic issues. The U.S. is, generally speaking, much richer than Western Europe, with a much better economy. If the U.S. wanted to institute such social programs, it could do so.

There simply isn't the political will to have such programs in the U.S., and given the higher birthrate and higher levels of immigration, it isn't really considered a big priority, I don't think.
REALLY?? I don't think so! The US has had the largest national debt of any nation for a few generations. Germany in the past has had a balanced budget; I'm not sure, but I think it's a national policy to do so? I'm not sure if that changed after 1990, and absorbing E Germany. The US economy is struggling, and the standard of living is declining. With the exception of the technology sector, wages have been stagnant since the 1980's (due to corporations giving the benefits of improved productivity to those at the top, instead of sharing the profits with workers, as had been done in the past). There have been many cutbacks in federal spending, which has affected state economies in turn, as the federal government to some extent subsidizes state government.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
REALLY?? I don't think so! The US has had the largest national debt of any nation for a few generations. Germany in the past has had a balanced budget; I'm not sure, but I think it's a national policy to do so? I'm not sure if that changed after 1990, and absorbing E Germany. The US economy is struggling, and the standard of living is declining. With the exception of the technology sector, wages have been stagnant since the 1980's (due to corporations giving the benefits of improved productivity to those at the top, instead of sharing the profits with workers, as had been done in the past). There have been many cutbacks in federal spending, which has affected state economies in turn, as the federal government to some extent subsidizes state government.
Europe is right alongside us when it comes to economic struggles, however. Slightly different nuances but we're definitely not an anomaly in the Western world when it comes to our economic issues.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Europe is right alongside us when it comes to economic struggles, however. Slightly different nuances but we're definitely not an anomaly in the Western world when it comes to our economic issues.
I always had the impression Germany was more measured and sensible about its economic affairs, and was a stronger economy. But that may have changed in the 90's, and especially with the advent of the EU.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
REALLY?? I don't think so! The US has had the largest national debt of any nation for a few generations. Germany in the past has had a balanced budget; I'm not sure, but I think it's a national policy to do so?
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I wrote that the U.S. is, generally speaking, much richer than Western Europe, which is true. U.S. households, on average, are wealthier than European households. They have higher pay, more "stuff" and more buying power.

National debt has nothing to do with household wealth. It's money a nation owes to itself. Paying off national debt has nothing to do with making that nation richer, and certainly has nothing to do with making its people richer.

Here's a good summary of "national debt" by Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/09/op...ands-debt.html
Quote:
I'm not sure if that changed after 1990, and absorbing E Germany. The US economy is struggling, and the standard of living is declining.
This is absurd. The U.S. currently has the fastest economic growth of any rich nation on earth. The U.S., generally speaking, has been outperforming basically every other rich nation, for many years now. Germany, the "star" performer of Europe, has nowhere near the annual growth of the U.S, and has badly lagging income growth.

U.S. households, on average, are about twice as rich as they were 30 years ago, when East Germany was collapsing.

Granted, there are many things that are better in Europe, and many things better in the U.S. This is true of all nations. But it isn't really reasonable to argue that the U.S. isn't the wealthiest major country on earth. It is, and by a longshot. Does that mean the U.S. is "best"? Of course not. But it is richest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe